Element cushion flying off-gctid819852

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element cushion flying off-gctid819852

For those with earlier Elements who had issues with cushions flying off.

Bayliner sent me a letter requesting I bring my boat in for a "fix".

They added straps to the cushions and fasteners to the seat on both rear seats. The nice thing is that Bayliner did this without any solicitation on my part.

[attachment=39779]RenderedContent-4AA122B7-550F-488C-B20C-47B5FCF0E645.JPG[

Attached files

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
    2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
    12 foot aluminum fishing boat

The rear "side" cushions? Those are big, I couldn't imagine them flying off, and they have the plastic hooked lip thingy (technical term).

Thought that recall was for the center rear cushion that touches the rounded part of the stern? I obviously have not taken my Element in yet! ;-)
    2014 Flight Package Element
    Upgrades: 90HP, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade Prop, Mercury Monitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Radio w/4 speaker + subwoofer
    Lacey, WA

Comment

I actually lost the cushion (over the gas tank) on the way home from the dealer on purchase day.

Bayliner did deliver a new one directly to my house. Maybe that's where they got their information to contact me to fix the problem (three years after taking delivery). But, I'm glad they recognized the problem and fixed it.
      Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
      2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
      12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Glad they fixed the problem too Oakplank! I haven't taken mine in for the cushion recall because I don't trailer much, stays at our cabin where we use it on the lake there so don't see the need. Nice fix though!!! :-)
        Upgrades: 90HP, Smart Tabs, 4 Blade Prop, Mercury Monitor Gauge, Bimini Top, Radio w/4 speaker + subwoofer
        Lacey, WA

Comment

"efarstad" post=819862 wrote:
          The rear "side" cushions? Those are big, I couldn't imagine them flying off..............
          You would be surprised at what can fly off a boat or truck. I'm a long time motorcyclist and have learned to avoid riding behind trucks and boats for this reason.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

My 2017 came with all of those straps already in place. I think that was started in 2016? On another similar thread one member has posted about putting one of those expandable elastic netting over the cockpit.

I don't trailer much, but when I do I remove the front center cushion and the extra cushion/pad for the helm seat. I don't ever use the rear "cooler cover" cushion. It just gets in the way and we don't need the seat....

Comment

My helm cushion flew out within the first 100 feet out of the dealer lot three years ago. I recently had the rear cushion recall done, and on the way home, the helm cushion flew out and was lost. The dealer is happy to charge me for a new one.

Comment

So one of my bow cushions blew out...suppose they'd replace it? It's got some pretty good rash on one corner.

Comment

glad to see they used screws to fasten the strap. on my 2016 XL those straps are just stapled on the cushion (short staples) and I've already had 1 strap fall off.

Comment

Curious as we recently bought a used 2013 16' element and the two rear cushions flew out in transport this weekend. Both were recovered but one was badly damaged. As the second owners would be still be able to get them fixed under the recall?

Comment

I'd contact the seller and see if they still have the original notice that was sent out. I do remember their being language on their about "if you're not the buyer please pass onto new owner." Good luck!
                      Lacey, WA

Comment

More than likely the big concern is an on the water but on the road. There's a lot of possibilities for real problems out there especially when you consider high speeds on the interstate and tailgaters. I could see where they be worried about it because somebody's pet lawyer could run it right back to them

Comment

"driz" post=825394 wrote:
                          More than likely the big concern is an on the water but on the road. There's a lot of possibilities for real problems out there especially when you consider high speeds on the interstate and tailgaters. I could see where they be worried about it because somebody's pet lawyer could run it right back to them
                          As a motorcyclist I can tell you that this has nothing to do with tailgaters or pet lawyers. A flying cushion can be lethal to a rider.

I see boats, trailers, pickup trucks, etc, on a daily basis with non-secured or poorly secured loads. This is criminal.
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

"kpfauth#!" post=825073 wrote:
                            Curious as we recently bought a used 2013 16' element and the two rear cushions flew out in transport this weekend. Both were recovered but one was badly damaged. As the second owners would be still be able to get them fixed under the recall?
                            Contact a Bayliner dealer.
                            Anacortes, WA

Comment

My helm bolster cushion seemed secure with the three snaps but flew out of the boat at 50 mph. Another driver alerted me at a stop light 2 miles down the road. I found it in the middle of the road, no one ran over it yet. I keep the bow and middle stern cushions out of the boat. So far the other seat cushions are holding. Anyone lose a seat cushion yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X