Element Accessories, Mods and Reference Photos-gctid779030

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Also just finished the new interior lighting....

I also replaced the main battery switch from inside the aft starboard storage (which was always a pain to get to) to under the helm seat. Much better IMO

Next is also blue underwater transom lights. Will be fitted next weekend.

Nick

Attached files

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
      Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

Pegasus,

This looks awesome. What lights did you use? Did you use a hole saw? How did you do the cup holders? Can they still drain?
        2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

Hi Toon,

These are the lights I installed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191677002226

They needed a 23mm hole saw (and not 24mm as indicated in the instructions)

I added 2 strips like these in the helm footwell to add some more ambiance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262632942802

The cup holders still drain but the ones on Ebay are just slightly wider than the originals (about 3mm). So I had to use the Dremel with a sanding cylinder to widen the holes in the deck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401169616038

Wiring was easy as you can access pretty much everywhere. I just ran a dual wire and hot glued it to the fiberglass. The above pics are still missing the new push button blue led switches (one for interior lights, one for transom lights) which are ordered but haven't arrived yet. They will be positioned on the switch panel next to the steering wheel.

The result is actually even better in reality. blue lights are hard to render properly with digital cameras.

More pics to come as project evolves.

Nick
          Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

The lighting looks Awesome!
            1997 Bayliner Capri 2050 LS 5.7l Mercruiser I/O

Comment

Pegasus,

Thank you for the info. Please take pictures of transom lights you install. Did you use a factory toggle on dash. If so where did you purchase? I think i read you installed 2 switches. What size bit did you need to add the 2nd switch? Sorry for so many questions. Just don't want to make a mistake I'll regret. I have a habit of having to do projects twice to get them right.
              2016 Bayliner Element XL 115hp Mercury Fourstroke

Comment

I couldn't find the original Bayliner switches at a decent price (dealer wanted a bucket load - $36 per switch! - and I just could not be bothered to pay him that). So as I couldn't replicate the the logos or the writing on the switch panel in any case, I thought I might as well go for something completely different. So I went for this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141761197375

Makes sense as these are for the inside and underwater blue lights...

They haven't arrived yet so can't tell you exactly the hole diameter but whatever happens I will have to cut open more of the fiberglass behind the switch panel as it's only been (very roughly) cut out for the stock switches. I'll post some pics when I've done the job.

Nick
                Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

The lighting looks fantastic. Well done.

When you drilled the holes in the fiberglass, did you use anything special to keep from cracking the gel-coat adjacent to the hole?
                  2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

Comment

Those lights look great. I am installing led strips currently in my pontoon boat, both under the seats as well as under the deck....it is more involved than what I thought and have found out that running long strips and long power wins for the strips anyways is somewhat more challenging than what I had anticipated. The individual lights are a GREAT option for my 185....simply based on what I have had to do to run and wire the led strips, the single lights with a simple power supply connection seem to be much easier, more efficient and supply plenty of light. Have you ever seen these type of single lights being able to change colors? I have not looked, but just thought that might a cool idea. I switched out my gauge lights last season to led blue so the blue might be just the right color to use anyways...

Did you chamfer the edges of the fiberglass after you drilled to prevent cracking or simply drilled the holes and cleaned up the edges? I am about to add speakers to my bow and would like to know how you did the finish-work to your drilled holes...

Looks great!

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Another pic

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
                      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
                      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

Thanks guys. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the result. Especially taking into consideration the very reasonable price tag.

Jack and Rob, I used this tool to make the holes:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Cuttin...sr_1_3?ie=UTF8

This is a very sharp hole cutter. But the way I found not to chip the gel-coat was by predrilling the guide hole and then using a high speed drill and going in very slowly initially. Worked like magic. just barely sanded the edge but, honestly, I don't think that was necessary.

The lights come with a very thin rubber seal and because I drilled a 23mm hole versus the recommended 24mm, they fit really snug with no play whatsoever.

Just did a quick search on Ebay and it seems that you can find them with a multi-color option. A bit more expensive though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-20-30-5...-/191917402350

However I do think that the best color for boating is blue. It makes the whites stand out and just makes everything look so special. Personally, I wouldn't use any other color.

That dash looks wicked by the way Rob. Must be a stunner at night!

Nick
                        Geneva, Switzerland

Comment

Hi, that privacy curtain is brilliant. Was that custom made or can you order it? If you can order it, do you made sharing the link? Thanks

Comment

"nclexman" post=797535 wrote:
                            I had them installed at purchase. Man smart tabs on this boat are an incredible bonus. Planes in about 3-4 seconds regardless of load. Well worth the $$.
                            Amen! We love our smart tabs.
                            2014 Boston Whaler 130 Sport
                            2017 Bayliner Element 75hp (with may more into it than I should admit & the list is growing )

In beautiful central Florida.
                            Wife & I are always available weekends for exploring our beautiful water ways.
                            Shoot me a message if would like to plan a meet-up

Comment

"xxtoon" post=797302 wrote:
                              Sncc3,

Question? How did you attach you fender cleats. Did you use backing plate? If so did you cut access holes? If not are you worried about the cleat being ripped off?

What did you use to seal it? Butyl tape or 5200 or other?

I want to add two more cleats on each side but want to do it right. hoping i don't have to cut access holes.

Also would like to cut holes for 2 more speakers in Bow.
                              They are attached with a backing plate. Able to access area by fuel tank and battery opening.

I have been very happy with the cleats and they are holding up fine so far.
                              2017 Bayliner Element 75hp (with may more into it than I should admit & the list is growing )

Comment

"Cowgill4" post=799897 wrote:
                                Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                                X