2013 element, another with water where it shouldn(39)t

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn(39)t

Went to install a set of smart tabs today after 3 years of owning my element sure enough after the first hole bam water. Already called the dealership waiting to hear back.

Based on the drill bit looks like the wood is pretty soaked too.

Attached files
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM.

Were there any others holes previously drilled into the transom below the waterline? If so, hopefully they were drilled by the dealer.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

none what so ever this is the first

Comment

So sad... I had my smart tabs installed ... Looks like I'm going to have to have them removed to install additional drain holes !!! And have them reinstalled this fall !!! Not happy at all !!!
        1987 3270MY, 135 Hino engines

2015 Element ( Lime Green) Limited Edition 75 HP Mercury.

Roger, Lake Saint Clair, Michigan
        Fair Winds & Following Seas

Comment

After reading many reports of issues with water in the hull, I planned so that to leave enough room in case I needed drain plugs added, but we will see what they do. Taking it to the dealership tonight.

Comment

"Noxian" post=753955 wrote:
            After reading many reports of issues with water in the hull, I planned so that to leave enough room in case I needed drain plugs added, but we will see what they do. Taking it to the dealership tonight.
            Soon you will have a fabulous transom like this!

[attachment]29037 wrote:
            MyTransom.jpg[/attachment]
            2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

"TigerBoat" post=753981 wrote:
              "Noxian" post=753955 wrote:
              Soon you will have a fabulous transom like this!

[attachment]29037 wrote:
              MyTransom.jpg[/attachment]
              Your picture is what I based the positioning of my smart tabs on, I even measured the diameter of the factory drain plug to make sure I left enough room LOL

Comment

"Noxian" post=753985 wrote:

Your picture is what I based the positioning of my smart tabs on, I even measured the diameter of the factory drain plug to make sure I left enough room LOL
                I hope it helped. I looked high and low for a similar transom pic when I was making plans for my own boat's drains and tabs and didn't really find much.

Comment

dropped the boat off at the dealer last night, they seemed confused and had never heard of this issue before , I am not sure they have sold many Elements or maybe other owners havent run into the same issue yet.

Comment

As the BOC Admin, I watch for product issues to raise to the Bayliner mothership. I am growing concerned about the Element water retention issue, so I raised this thread and one other thread to Bayliner senior leadership.

It's being watched, and I think there are discussions going on behind the scenes.

I do think Noxian is right - this is still a relatively new boat with limited use out in the wild, so there will be a learning curve. That said, to all Element owners: It is IMPERATIVE that in addition to posting here, you raise this issue to your dealer. Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=754134 wrote:
                      Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.
                      Bayliner IS aware of this issue.

Bayliner / Brunswick has provided drawing(s) to dealership(s) indicating the preferred location for additional sponson garboard drains to be installed when customers request this repair/modification.

It is my understanding that the issue is being addressed case by case, and that seems like a pretty good way to handle it in all honesty

Comment

"TigerBoat" post=754207 wrote:
                        Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.

Bayliner / Brunswick provided drawing indicating location for garboard install below. Enjoy
                        Aware and watching. The current number of affected boats is less than 1/2 of a percent, a very small number, but that's as of now.

Point is if more people come forward with an issue, it WILL be dealt with. The Element is the foundation of Bayliner's new direction in the marine industry, and I cannot overstate this: They will not let any quality issues affect the performance of this boat in the market.

Also, I am working with Bayliner management to have their CS folks be a regular fixture on our site to help with Bayliner specific questions and customer service issues. That's still in development, but it's something we hope to put into place soon.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

"TigerBoat" post=754207 wrote:

Bayliner / Brunswick has provided drawing(s) to dealership(s) indicating the preferred location for additional sponson garboard drains to be installed when customers request this repair/modification.

It is my understanding that the issue is being addressed case by case, and that seems like a pretty good way to handle it in all honesty
                          The only issue with the case by case is how does one know they have water? Drill a hole to find out? . That seems to the only way. I would not even know about this issue if it were not for this site. It only seems folks are finding the issue when they install depth gauges or trim tabs.

If they know there is an issue they should just do a recall on all Elements to have drains installed. I'm sure there are plenty of boats that have water that the owners are not aware of. I don't have an Element but I got a recall on my Boat to install a latch on the engine cover.
                          2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                          Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                          Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                          Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                          1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=754212 wrote:

Aware and watching. The current number of affected boats is less than 1/2 of a percent, a very small number, but that's as of now.

Point is if more people come forward with an issue, it WILL be dealt with. The Element is the foundation of Bayliner's new direction in the marine industry, and I cannot overstate this: They will not let any quality issues affect the performance of this boat in the market.

Also, I am working with Bayliner management to have their CS folks be a regular fixture on our site to help with Bayliner specific questions and customer service issues. That's still in development, but it's something we hope to put into place soon.
                            Bayliner's CS is great (thanks Terry!), and it would be wonderful if they had a stronger presence on this site.

The Element 160 is fun, has an amazing layout (& price) and fits right into a standard garage. Bayliner has a hit on their hands for sure.

I wonder if we will receive additional insight into whether or not the materials within the hull (that were never meant to see water and are now seeing it) will be affected?

I believe there is significant concern regarding this issue as well.

[attachment]29058 wrote:
                            Wetwood.jpg[/attachment]

Comment

I Don't understand what you mean when you say drains installed? IF there is water in the transom and the wood is wet its too late. A drain may in fact drain the water but the wood will rot . The problem is why is water getting in there in the first place......it shouldn't be there. Once in the damage is done its too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X