Element - Water in sponsons? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waterdowg View Post

Wait.... Is that the Swim platform bolt????? If so may swim platform has the same brown stains. Also NONE of the bolts had sealant on them they all leaked water in the bilge.
    I think you may be right...in which case that is NOT a photo of the transom nor the drains, and that water is not leaking through gel coat and has nothing to so with the sponsons. The hull gel coat is black or navy blue on that boat, and that is one of the stern eyes on the right side.

Comment

Yep that's a swim platform boat. After looking at mine the other day when I dropper her off thats a swim platform bolt for sure. Which means it's probably loose like mine were and you've probably got a bad case of water intrusion.

Comment

Dealer called today. Drains are in and Surprise Surprise Surprise, water was found in the sponsons. My boat is a 2018 model E16.... but this was supposed to be a problem on a limited run of early built boats....

Comment

ALL Bayliner "M" design hulls will at some point collect water. Water will always find a way in and will always make its way to the lowest point, which is sometimes in the sponsons. IMO, all sponsons should have drains.

I would welcome anyone to tell me where I'm wrong.

Comment

If you ever wonder where water gets in on a boat look here. I kept finding a significant amount of water in the bilge of my 2014 E16 after a few start and stops. My wife drove the boat and I watch and the water came in under the rear transom molding when we slowed down. I took off the white vinyl capping covering the upper transom area and this is what I found, a poorly done and in some areas no sealant whatsoever. . I cleaned and fixed the areas myself as it appeared to me that there was little quality control oversight in the build so why trust them a second time. I have had no water intrusion into the bilge since I sealed it myself. Makes me wonder about water in the outer sponsons and if I should be having drain plugs installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7136.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	473564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	473565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	473566

Comment

Thanks for the pics. The quality control in Mexico is out to lunch, or should I say siesta.
              Home Depot has 5200! 10 oz of 5200 will make you feel like you have a new boat.
              Bayliner is still the best value in boating, but you may get a little dirty along the way. Plus I am happy with the Mercury 75! I can caulk, but I can't fix a bad engine.

3M

5200 10 oz. Marine Adhesive/Sealant

Soft and flexible formula that holds up to salt water. Designed for use in both wet and dry locations.
              Easy to apply using a standard caulking gun. $17

"The Profit"
              Sunny Florida
              2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

I am so disappointed in Bayliner after seeing all these issues. It has taken them a few decades to somewhat recover from the bad hype they got and now this? A huge step backwards in something so small and simple as an element. Honestly it would not have taken much effort or expense to solve these issues at the factory. Now we have a thread that has 16 pages and has been viewed over 15,000 times and will continue to grow exponentially. Sad is all I can say.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Shalom, Rabbi :-).

recaulking the rubrail is one of the things that the dealer did when I brought my element in for the water issue (my 2007 bayliner 175 also suffered from poor caulking work in Reynosa).

looking at your pics though....I would take that boat to a dealer ASAP and get that issue made of record. That looks like rot on your transom and you have a lifetime hull warranty (10 years if second owner, I think), but your DIY repair may bring that into question......but if you get it looked at by bayliner now rather than later, they may have a harder time associating your repair with the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbi View Post
                    If you ever wonder where water gets in on a boat look here. I kept finding a significant amount of water in the bilge of my 2014 E16 after a few start and stops. My wife drove the boat and I watch and the water came in under the rear transom molding when we slowed down. I took off the white vinyl capping covering the upper transom area and this is what I found, a poorly done and in some areas no sealant whatsoever. . I cleaned and fixed the areas myself as it appeared to me that there was little quality control oversight in the build so why trust them a second time. I have had no water intrusion into the bilge since I sealed it myself. Makes me wonder about water in the outer sponsons and if I should be having drain plugs installed. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7136.JPG Views:	2 Size:	226.9 KB ID:	473564Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7139.JPG Views:	2 Size:	271.4 KB ID:	473565Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7144.JPG Views:	1 Size:	254.2 KB ID:	473566
                    You ABSOLUTELY need the drains. I had them installed - water was in there. Drained out and the boat was empty. I garage my boat as required by the HOA. It went to dealer for new swim platform on starboard side and sat in a rain storm. Fairly heavy rain, but was not bow down. Bilge plug was out for duration. Picked it up and ran for an hour or so yesterday. Port sponson was holding more water than my bilge picked up for the entire day!

Comment

The dealer has been instructed by Bayliner to take out one screw from the transducer on my 2017 e16. If water drains out from that screw hole Bayliner will pay for 2 additional drains to be installed, one in each sponson and they will pay to reseal all fittings/screws in the fuel tank area and the battery area.
                      However, it appears that my transducer is mounted in the same area as the factory installed drain plug is located to drain water from the center hull area.
                      In your opinion, by removing a screw from my transducer, will we be able to tell if either of the sponsons are holding water?
                      Rip in Nevada
                      2017 Element e16

Comment

IMO.......no. Bayliner is assuming that your transducer is mounted on the sponson.

This is a great teaching moment to all future Element buyers. If you are buying from a Bayliner dealer, make the sponson drains a condition of sale. I did this last February. I made the salesman put it in the sales contract, zero cost to me. No water in the sponsons yet, but it would drive me crazy not knowing.
                        "The Profit"
                        Sunny Florida
                        2018 E16 75 hp: Corrected Center of Gravity, Very Dry Sponsons with Drains, SC1000 Gauge, Bennett SLT10 trim tabs, Racor Fuel/Water Separator.

Comment

Thx Profit!
                          Do most of you prefer the brass Garboard plugs or is there another type of plug you recommend?
                          Rip in Nevada
                          2017 Element e16

Comment

Originally posted by Rip2017 View Post
                            The dealer has been instructed by Bayliner to take out one screw from the transducer on my 2017 e16. If water drains out from that screw hole Bayliner will pay for 2 additional drains to be installed, one in each sponson and they will pay to reseal all fittings/screws in the fuel tank area and the battery area.
                            However, it appears that my transducer is mounted in the same area as the factory installed drain plug is located to drain water from the center hull area.
                            In your opinion, by removing a screw from my transducer, will we be able to tell if either of the sponsons are holding water?
                            Hmm. Is that the factory transducer location, or is that a dealer install or aftermarket? My factory installed transducer is located at the low point of the sponson. HOWEVER, removing that screw on mine or yours would only be an indicator of water in the TRANSOM, not water in the sponson (or in your case the center section or bilge). The screws are self-tappers that do not (to my knowledge) penetrate the inner side of the transom, so sponson water should (might?) not be in there.

Also, another troubling thought: If those transducer screw holes were done PROPERLY, they would have been drilled oversize, filled with epoxy or resin, then the epoxy would be drilled for the screws, not the transom. This way the screw holes could not be a source of water intrusion into the transom. Sounds like they are not being done properly to begin with......

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post

Hmm. Is that the factory transducer location, or is that a dealer install or aftermarket? My factory installed transducer is located at the low point of the sponson. HOWEVER, removing that screw on mine or yours would only be an indicator of water in the TRANSOM, not water in the sponson (or in your case the ....
                              I also was wondering about the dealer placement of the Garmin ff so I looked thru the many photos on this site and the only location I could find where others had their transducer located was the same as mine.
                              I also thought the low point of the sponson would have been a better location but I'm not very knowledgeable about transducer placement. All input will be appreciated!
                              Rip in Nevada
                              2017 Element e16

Comment

If you go the E16 page on the bayliner.com site, and select the "photos ," there is a photo of the transom that clearly shows the factory location of the transducer (though it is inexplicably crooked in the photo).

Also, my factory ordered/installed unit is not a Garmin, it is a Lowrance Hook III.

Comment

Working...
                                X