Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TigerBoat View Post

That is indeed THE solution.

Can you make your transom look like this (with three garboard drains)?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	My Transom.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	437168
    If you can, then you are in luck
    What did you use to drill the holes in the sponsons for the new garboard drains? Also, what type and size of screws did you use to secure them?

Comment

That's a big help, thanks. I'll install additional drains next weekend. It's disappointing that a new boat would require that type of modification. My dealer was useless in giving advice or even acknowledging that it was an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by IanR View Post
        That's a big help, thanks. I'll install additional drains next weekend. It's disappointing that a new boat would require that type of modification. My dealer was useless in giving advice or even acknowledging that it was an issue.
        Sounds like your dealer service department is....deficient. Mine was all over the drain issue, as was Bayliner. Spoke to Bayliner about it a few months ago; they contacted me after getting my feedback survey.

I would again advise against installing the drains yourself. If you end up with transom rot in a few years it could effect your ability to get it fixed under warranty.

If Bayliner (Bayliner, not a clueless dealer) is refusing to install the drains, I would push hard, and direct them to this thread. If still no joy, then I suppose that you could do it yourself but document everything, including their refusal to address and pics of water coming out (if any) when you drill into the transom.....

Comment

I took video of water coming out as I installed smart tabs. Having them install the drains would be a benefit from a warranty standpoint. Good advice, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IanR View Post
            I took video of water coming out as I installed smart tabs. Having them install the drains would be a benefit from a warranty standpoint. Good advice, thanks.
            I had the dealer install the garboard drains free of charge for the reasons mentioned above.

Bayliner is VERY-much aware of this issue.

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

This is a problem on the VR6 also. Water gets in through the unsealed body plugs they used to foam fill the hull.

Bayliner product support told me they want the dealer to use compressed air and a shop vac to try and dry the estimated 230-240 pounds of water that’s in my foam filled hull. From small holes drilled in the ski locker. I told product support guy that I’ve been in this game for long enough to know that’s a shit way of trying to fix a major issues.

I think these new generation of boats were rushed to market and that there wasn’t enough product testing done or that the production staff has some major training issues and factory QC is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostone View Post
                This is a problem on the VR6 also. Water gets in through the unsealed body plugs they used to foam fill the hull.

Bayliner product support told me they want the dealer to use compressed air and a shop vac to try and dry the estimated 230-240 pounds of water that’s in my foam filled hull. From small holes drilled in the ski locker. I told product support guy that I’ve been in this game for long enough to know that’s a shit way of trying to fix a major issues.

I think these new generation of boats were rushed to market and that there wasn’t enough product testing done or that the production staff has some major training issues and factory QC is crap.
                Agreed. I would like to be able to drain water out of those areas of the VR6 in the future if I were a VR6 owner.

Even if the boats were rushed to market, it seems like the fix would have been implemented on the later year models.

Bayliner was made aware of this "water in sponsons" issue (with the Element) years ago

Comment

• flyguyskt
                  flyguyskt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So I read on one of the pages in this LOOOONG thread... something to the affect of " the water could be trapped somewhere further forward in the sponsons? like it could not get to the drains?" sounds feasible to me as i had an old sundance skiff that haf gotten heavy. i tooke a long pipe and shoved it forward into the rear drain. punched through a couple feat of foam and GUSH out came A LOT of water...
                  Can anyone confirm this being possible in the F16??

So I have been lurking here for a while reading the "water in sponsons" problems while looking at and considering a new 2018 E18. I have read multiple places that bayliner has stated that they have fixed the problem. It has been raining very heavy here the last few days, and when the salesman pulled the cover off the boat we noticed it had alot of water in it. He then proceeded to jack it up and let the water run out the drain. no problem I thought. Then today I was ready to sign the paperwork, but told them I would sign on the condition that they remove one screw from the depth finder to verify that no water was in the sponson. When they removed the screw, water came pouring out!! Keep in mind, this is a brand new boat that has never been in the water! So, right now we are in a holding pattern until the tech calls bayliner and determines what they are going to do. He suggested that they caulk all the screws going into the bottom and install drain plugs. My question is, is it stupid for me to even consider the boat even after they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Mishap View Post
                  My question is, is it stupid for me to even consider the boat even after they do that?
                  IMO. Yes and NO.

The foam and wood within the sponson(s) on the lot's boat has been exposed to water that it was not intended to see.

YES - If you purchase the actual boat that has had water sitting in the sponsons on their lot (for God knows how long) then that may be a bit reckless.

NO - If you REALLY WANT an E18 order a BRAND NEW one and have the sponson drains installed (free of charge) as soon as possible. This way you can personally drain the sponsons EVERYTIME the boat is exposed to water.

Those are my thoughts & good luck

Feedback welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Mishap View Post
                    My question is, is it stupid for me to even consider the boat even after they do that?
                    I have two words for you: Negotiate, and Leverage.

And. "boating season."

We knew that the water issue existed before we bought ours. We hoped that the problem was solved, and were told as much by bayliner, but knew it was a risk. We also knew that the E18 was going to cost thousands less than any other comparably equipped and comparably performing 18 footer.

Turns out we have some water in the sponsons. I keep the boat on a lift, so the drains resolve the issue satisfactorily for us. If rot becomes an issue, we have the warranty. Not ideal, but it works for me. Not concerned about resale...it will be what it will be. Meanwhile we have well over 100 very enjoyable hours on our boat.

So for you....do you want to start the shopping process over again, find another entry-level boat with a different set of "challenges" (they all have some), and likely spend more money, or do you want to get this Element and just go boating? If you order a new boat now....you won't be boating until October.

The answer will differ based on your priorities and preferences. In 5 years I will be able to tell you what the correct answer was.

Comment

Hello all, after reading all I could on the sponson water issue I went ahead and bought a used 2015 16e.
                      My personal idea is that all the water in the sponsons is coming from holes drilled into the deck to secure various equipment. I'm going to remove every screw that penetrates the floor and caulk the holes and put caulk on the screws and reinstall. The bilge is pretty shallow and I can easily see water rising to the point where it will weep into unsealed holes in the deck. If you store your boat in the water you should absolutely have a bilge pump with a float switch. I'm not sure about other boaters but I always cover my boat and remove the drain plug when stored. My previous boat was a whaler and I never allowed water to stand in the bilge.
                      I remember when I bought my whaler with a 75 hp motor and absolutely everyone said that was not enough power, that most owners need at least a 90 if not a 115. I bought the boat anyway and the 75 was just fine for me. Point is many of us make declarations as fact when really their just personal opinions. I wanted a small deck boat and the Element fit the bill. It has the 60 hp and I'm guessing it will be fast enough, just got it so I have not had it out yet.
                      Cheers and see you on the water.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase!! I’m hoping to be there soon if I can get my head past this water problem. Does yours have the additional drain plugs installed?

Comment

I recently told the dealer I was concerned about the "water in sponsons" problem known to exist in boats like mine. I requested that drains be installed at no cost to me. Their response was "we will never drill holes in a hull looking for water unless we are told to do so by Bayliner." They also said they had never heard of such a problem and that no service bulletin had been issued by Bayliner and that they sell lots of Elements. They stonewalled me which I did not appreciate.

So I just got off the phone with Bayliner and I'm confident the "water in sponsons" concern will be resolved at no cost to me.
                          I appreciate the professionalism the gentleman at Bayliner demonstrated while addressing this issue.
                          Rip in Nevada
                          2017 Element e16

Comment

Working...
                          X