Element - Water in sponsons? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element - Water in sponsons? Help!

Hi all. So I'm trying to install smart tabs on my new Element, and when I drilled the holes for the tab bracket, a bunch of water came gushing out. Is that normal? It seems like there is no way for that water to drain out (other than drilling holes in the hull)...

Here's a pic. There must've been a couple of quarts in there.

Attached files

Shop vac
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

So it's normal?

I should just try to fish the shop vac hose through the bilge and over into the sponson?

Thanks.

Comment

• Jesse K
        Jesse K commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Kilroy, can you tell me what year your element is? Mine is 2018 and you have me wanting to check now also. From what I've read, the problem should have been resolved by 2018, but who knows. i will check this week. i take it out 10 times a month and i really get a lot of water in it. one time my wife almost sunk the boat and truck first day of launching it. I told her " let off the brake and then hit the brake hard and hold it there" well she let off brake and slammed the gas. lol. So happy i had the 4h engaged. well, she learned from that.

I never been around a Element but i would not think that water should be there.
      Pat. Sandpoint Ida
      I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

If it's on the port side, Bayliner has not made any accommodation for water to escape from the gas tank area. I think the reason is that they don't want spilled gas going into the bilge area in case a spark from the bilge pump may ignite it. Just guessing here.

I use a hand pump to remove any water in the gas tank area. Not sure what else I can do without introducing an electrical issue in that area.
        Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
        2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
        12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

This is beneath the gas tank. There was some water when I drilled the holes on the starboard side, but not nearly as much.

Comment

I don't know anything about your model, but water coming from the transom would worry me. I would advise that you ask your dealer?

Surveyors use a small plastic hammer to tap on hulls and transom to determine if the sound changes. It sounds like a tapping noise when dry or more like a thud when moisture is present. I have also seem them use moisture meters. I am sure someone else has more specific advice but I would investigate before installing your tabs.

I hope you have a good outcome and I am offering needless worry.
            2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
            Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
            Sanger wakeboard boat
            volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

"Kilroy" post=730397 wrote:
              This is beneath the gas tank. There was some water when I drilled the holes on the starboard side, but not nearly as much.
              Make sure that you post your findings as the majority of us Element owners would not be drilling in that area and would, therefore, not be aware of water residing in that area.

Good luck with your research.

Comment

I am looking to pull the trigger on a 75 hp Element 160. What is the solution you guys are currently using to drain the element's sponsons?

I would like to think Bayliner is aware of this issue and has provided a practical solution. :dry:
                2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

Comment

I emailed Bayliner about it. Will post their response.

If the bilge is only separated from the sponsons by the "hump" in the hull, I could see how this happened. The boat has been tossed around in the Gulf twice now, easily enough for water to slosh from the bilge over the hump and down into the sponson. That might also explain why the port side had more; we were anchored both times such that the waves lifted the starboard side first. Just an idea.

Comment

Why not put two extra drain plugs there?
                    2000 1750 Bowrider
                    3.0Ltr Mercruiser, Alpha 1 leg
                    SS 4 blade prop

Comment

Bayliner said that the sponsons should be sealed and there should not be water in there. They told me to take it to my dealer (who is four hours away). Great.

Comment

Is the only way to know if there's water in the sponsons is to drill a hole???

Comment

What are your thoughts on adding additional drain plugs to the sponsons?

I am thinking the small plastic types that you would normally see on a personal water craft. My Yamaha Waverunner has two small plastic drain plugs on either side of the waterjet on the transom.

I find little comfort in Bayliner's explanation that "there should not be water in there". :S

Comment

"Kilroy" post=731171 wrote:
                            Bayliner said that the sponsons should be sealed and there should not be water in there. They told me to take it to my dealer (who is four hours away). Great.
                            What are your thoughts on adding additional drain plugs to the sponsons?

I am thinking the small plastic types that you would normally see on a personal water craft. My Yamaha Waverunner has two small plastic drain plugs on either side of the waterjet on the transom.

I find little comfort in Bayliner's explanation that "there should not be water in there". :S

Comment

Working...
                            X