Element XL Reserve Tank .... Not working-gctid652113

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element XL Reserve Tank .... Not working-gctid652113

I got an Element XL a month or so ago. Last weekend I thought I'd test the reserve tank before it was ever needed by necessity. I turned the Y valve to the reserve tank and after running a bit, the engine shut off starved for fuel. I went to the owners manual and there was little helpful information, but it did show a prime bulb. I'm thinking "That's it, I need to pump the prime bulb after switching". But alas, I have no prime bulb on this boat, not in the area with tanks or in bilge area.

What am I missing or doing wrong ???

The valve I have on mine is not intuitive. I have to turn it a different direction than what you would think. Follow the lines to make sure everything is connected and try a different choice on the valve.

Comment

Thx, I'll check that out. When valve points left towards main tank, that tank is utilized. I "assumed" turning 180 degrees to point right would be correct for the reserve tank. Which direction did your valve point for reserve, up or down rather than right?

Comment

"TommyJodi" post=652115 wrote:
        The valve I have on mine is not intuitive. I have to turn it a different direction than what you would think. Follow the lines to make sure everything is connected and try a different choice on the valve.
        Ok, this makes sense once I take a moment to think. When pointed left, the valve connects the hoses at 6 and 9 o'clock. There is no 12 o'clock outlet. So if I turn the valve 90 degrees counterclockwise, I will connect 3 (the reserve) with 6 o'clock (to engine). At least I hope so.

Comment

On mine left is main tank, down is reserve tank, and right is engine.

Comment

I had another post about this as well. Mine came with the main tank piped direct to the motor. I tried piping it with the 2 tanks in the left and bottom (1 and 2) position, and the motor in the right side position and it didn't work. Does anyone have a picture of a piping configuration that works?

Comment

It might be annoying but I recommend taking the valve off and holding it while turning the handle and watching how it opens and closes.

Comment

"StormPanic" post=652303 wrote:
                I had another post about this as well. Mine came with the main tank piped direct to the motor. I tried piping it with the 2 tanks in the left and bottom (1 and 2) position, and the motor in the right side position and it didn't work. Does anyone have a picture of a piping configuration that works?
                I looked at my valve and attempted to do a diagram of what it looks like (see attached). Using a clock face as reference, the main tank is connected at 9 and the reserve at 3. The engine is connected at 6. When the small point on the valve handle is pointed at 9, the main tank is used. Rotating the valve counterclockwise 90 degrees to point at 6 runs the reserve tank. I attempted to show the internal connection of the valve with the green curve. The diagram is overly simplistic but its how I figured out whats happening.

[attachment]15300 wrote:
                BaylinerXL3WayValve.pdf[/attachment]

Attached files
                BaylinerXL3WayValve.pdf (23.5 KB)

Comment

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed.

Comment

"StormPanic" post=652407 wrote:
                    Thank you so much, this is exactly what I needed.
                    NP, Let me know if it works out for you this way too.

Comment

That is exactly how mine works also.

Comment

Thank you for the diagram. I picked up the boat last month and have the same issue. I am not with the boat at moment but will try 6 o'clock next time. I had been trying 9 o'clock. I hope it works. Sounds like it should. Can't believe there was not instructions here.

Comment

The inner workings of the valve are confusing. It is not intuitive.

Comment

OK...HOW many gallons of gas do you guys need? Are you heading to Ireland? :woohoo:
                            Vic Stewart SN
                            Past Commander
                            Cape Fear Power Squadron
                            Ft Myers Power Squadron
                            1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
                            Raw water cooled

Comment

Main tank is only 12 gallons, less than 2 hours hauling ass time.

Comment

Working...
                              X