Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macerator Spins Freely Without Impeller Attached, Does That Mean It's Good? *Beware Picture Included*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macerator Spins Freely Without Impeller Attached, Does That Mean It's Good? *Beware Picture Included*

Macerator hadn't worked since I bought the boat. A few days ago I finally started looking into it. Found the burnt fuse, replaced it, then burnt through 2 more fuses trying to test it. Happened in like 1 second flat each time.

Today I cracked open the pump housing, expecting to find a tampon or a severed finger or something, but it actually didn't look that bad.

Plugged in a fresh fuse, flipped the on switch with the housing and impeller still off, listened to the motor spinning for a few seconds. Seemed fine on its own.

Had to run out to an appointment so I didn't go any further with it. I know one of the gaskets is torn, but before I go thinking about rebuild kits I figured I'd get some advice. Is it typical for the impeller to stick that easily? And is it a fair bet that the motor is still good?
    Attached Files
    "Mariposa"
    1989 3888 Motor Yacht
    Twin Ford 351 Engines, Sidepower Thrusters
    Rendova 11' Tender
    Richmond, BC

As I examine my own picture after the fact, it looks like several impeller fins are tearing off, so I guess it's just a question of rebuild kit or new pump.
    "Mariposa"
    1989 3888 Motor Yacht
    Twin Ford 351 Engines, Sidepower Thrusters
    Rendova 11' Tender
    Richmond, BC

Comment

With all the work to remove the pump, replace, in addition replace the poses all black water hoses, after time the smell works its way to the outside, take a damp rag, wipe the outside of the hoses, smell rag if it smells replace.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Working...
      X