Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Technique For Gluing Carpet Vertically To Fiberglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Technique For Gluing Carpet Vertically To Fiberglass?

I'm just about done installing vinyl plank flooring, so next I'll be putting in vertical panels of carpet on the surrounding bulkheads. Since they're fiberglass, staples aren't a great option.
    ​​​​​
    Any thoughts on the best glue and technique to stick the carpet panels in place?
    "Binti B"
    1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Richmond, BC

This is what I used: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Super-77...hesive/3033222

Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

3m 77 and 3M 90 are both good choices.

77 goes on a bit thinner, and can be used for single surface coating

90 is a coat both surfaces product and is a bit thicker, kind of stringy the way it sprays.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

when ever i install carpeting that i dont want coming loose, I go to home depot and get indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive, which is reasonably easy to use if your dont get in a hurry, but still, if you make a mistake, it cleans up with soap and water until it has dried... it trowls on with a serrated trowel and after it becomes tacky you just press the carpet to to the surface and your done... it takes about a day with a fan on it to fully dry...

the spray adhesives will work if its the monkey fur type carpeting, but if its the coarser backed type of carpet, the indoor outdoor adhesive is the best....

when using the spray adhesive, make sure its a good brand name like 3M, loctite, gorrila, as a lot of the cheaper adhesives will dry out and lose all adhesive properties over time, letting the carpet come loose from the surface... and at that time, more spray adhesive is not an option, as the surfaces will then be contaminated with crusty dried out glue that wont stick to the newly applied glue...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

After weighing the pros and cons, and the fact there seems to be a shortage of 3M Super 77 in Canada right now, I think I'm going to give Roberts 6700 a try. I'm a bit leary about the potential drying time, but the boat isn't going anywhere right now.

The carpet is a thicker variety, so probably the more hold the better.
          "Binti B"
          Richmond, BC

Comment

My guy used 3M 90, which is impossible to get right now. He has put carpet projects on hold for now. He swears by it.
            Tally and Vicki
            "Wickus" Meridian 341
            MMSI 338014939

Comment

• Metrodriver
              Metrodriver commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw an article that said nearly 20 giant containerships are anchored off Long Beach, waiting for dock space. I need a gascap for my wife's car, can't get one. Check-engine light has been on for a while, freaking her out. All I need is the seal, but you can't find them.

I started using 3M Super 77 back in the 70's when I did van conversions. It works well, just don't use it on a windy day...
            Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            |
            Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
            2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
            2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
            2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
            2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
            And 12 others...
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I thought I'd settled on the Roberts 6700 goop, but the idea of an extended drying time just bugs me. Some reviewers claim it could take 2 weeks. I don't want to put up carpet, then come back a week later and find it's all fallen off the walls.

Think I'm going to try out Permatex "Body Shop" spray adhesive. It tends to show up on the top 10 marine carpet glue lists I've found, and it's actually in stock locally.

I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but from what I can tell it's roughly equivalent to 3M 90. Saw a video of a guy spraying it on headliner fabric, and it got really sticky really quick. Should give me decent peace of mind.

Guess we'll see on Saturday.
              "Binti B"
              Richmond, BC

Comment

For those interested, I attached the first square of carpet Saturday, using the Permatex. Applied 3 coats to each surface, waiting 5 minutes after each one. The carpet stuck to the bulkhead immediately, no sagging, no fighting with it whatsoever. I pressed it on good, and the next day it's still firmly "on there". Looks like it's gonna work out.
                "Binti B"
                Richmond, BC

Comment

Have tried them all - save you time and money, use 3M 90.

Comment

Working...
                  X