Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Switch Relocate

Hi All,

We should hopefully closing on our boat purchase this coming week if all the repairs are done and 2nd successful sea trial is performed.

My question is - owners that have 2855 Ciera have you relocated your battery on/off switch anywhere more convenient? It's not super easy to get to in the engine room especially if you have carpet in the cockpit. Where did you move yours?

Thanks!
    Derek
    1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
    (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Cant speak for the 2855 owners but moving the MBSS somewhere easily accessible from inside the cabin has been fantastic.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

On my 2013 285 cruiser the MBSS is located inside the cabinet which is accessed from the swim platform.
      Retired, computer expert / executive
      Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
      Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
      D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
      [email protected]
      [email protected]

Comment

Don't know your lay out, but I moved my switch in to the back and side of the helm seat, simple to reach.
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

My 2007 285 was in storage accessed from swim platform, same as MontVista. Never thought that was a bad spot.
          2008 Rinker 330 EC
          Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
          2007 285 (sold)
          350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

I moved mine to the cabinet just aft of the helm seat. A buddy of mine has a 1999 2855 and he moved his to behind one of the circular twist off access ports.
            Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
            1989 2855
            Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

There is usually enough extra wire to mount the switch in the boat next to you.
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback as always. I'll let you know what we decide!
                1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
                (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
                (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Our 2855 came with this access port installed in the engine room cover.Click image for larger version  Name:	20210112_093715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	609236​ I assumed it was standard before seeing others online. It is not too bad to use.
                  Lance O. Albany, OR
                  1996 Ciera 2855 7.4 4bbl Bravo 3
                  1978 21' Hawaiian 557 BBF Berkeley Jet (dingy)

Comment

My take:

In my opinion, our MBSS should never be mounted within the engine bay.
                    Why.... because we not only want convenience, we also want the ability to access it quickly in the event of a major 12 vdc electrical issue.
                    If there is an electrical fire, we don't necessarily want to open the hatch to reach in and turn the MBSS off!

Now...... some will support the idea of the MBSS being within the engine bay under the guise that routinely opening the hatch (to access the MBSS) gives us an inspection opportunity.
                    I say bunk to that............ we should be in the habit of doing that anyway.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

+1 to Rick about setting the MBSS such that the engine compartment need not be opened to access the MBSS.

On my boat I implemented an additional feature that some others may find complicated, unnecessary or even prone to failure yet I find it to be very convenient. After 7 years of use I had no problem with it. That feature is to implement 2 RBS (Remote Battery Switch/Relay) devices that are coupled to each other and the MBSS. The RBS devices are controlled via manual switches located on the helm dashboard. The overall result is that upon arrival at the boat I turn the MBSS (inside the locker accessed via the swim platform) to the #1 position. This allows me to use the dashboard switches to engage/disengage the RBS devices so I can select either the HOUSE or START battery for use. After the engine is started I use the dashboard switches to switch to the HOUSE battery. Upon my return back to the marina my last action is to use the MBSS to disconnect both batteries. The third switch seen on the dashboard controls the ACR so I can engage or disengage it manually, if desired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 09.50.24 copy.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	609299 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 09.59.29.png
Views:	106
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	609300
                      Attached Files
                      [email protected]
                      [email protected]

Comment

Bulent.... why do you have to complicate things? LOL 😁 That's my job! LOL
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick, I am lazy! I don't want to keep walking between my cockpit seat and the swim platform to manipulate the MBSS. I do a lot of day trips where I travel to a favorite spot, drop anchor, spend the whole day there and then come back to the marina. Sometimes I spend a few nights at anchor before I move on. I am very disciplined that as soon as I drop anchor I want to switch the MBSS to HOUSE and also switch the battery to ENGINE for starting the engine. When I have guests in the cockpit I don't want to say "'cuze me, 'cuze me" to pass among them between the swim platform and the cabinet. Also. sometimes I forget to change. With my set up I have a routine that I go through checking switches, etc. before I start. The cockpit switches make it simple for me. I would probably not install the relay switches f I had the MBSS under the dashboard. So, my option was (a) relocate the MBSS or (b) add this complexity. Ever the tinkerer I chose the latter. I will not ever claim this is what everyone should do.

Enjoy!
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
                            Rick, I am lazy! I don't want to keep walking between my cockpit seat and the swim platform to manipulate the MBSS. ..................

Enjoy!
                            I was kidding you.
                            I agree..... let's make it easy.

I've done something similar with the use of the Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                            X