245 Ciera Cruiser - Fuel Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

245 Ciera Cruiser - Fuel Smell

Each time I open the cabin up I have a fuel smell. I’ve checked the engine bay and it doesn’t smell of fuel in there. There’s a small inspection hatch in the mid berth and under the steps and that’s where I think it’s coming from. No obvious leaks in the fuel hoses and I’ve replaced the breather.

anyone else had the same issues ?
    Any advice most welcome. Thx

It’s either a hose leaking or the tank itself. Any signs a cracks in the hoses? If so they need to be replaced.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. No obvious signs and the engine bay itself doesn’t smell. That’s where the hoses are .

Comment

Then I would have to assume it’s the tank as it under the midberth.
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

In addition to hoses and the tank itself, check the sending unit top plate. That rubber gasket can get brittle and shrink over time. See if the hold down screws can tightened.
          Wayne,

Washington State, Salish Sea

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
          1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
          1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

Thx Wayne. I’ll check it out. It only smells in the cabin and not in the engine bY which is where the sender is. Smells strongest in the mid berth and there’s a small inspection hatch in there where it’s coming from. As the mid berth is over the tank I assume it’s tank related. I hope not as it sounds like a big job to replace. Thx for the heads up though. Appreciate it.

Comment

What year is your 245? I have older model 2452. I would lift bow up. Run a hose to front of tank compartment, just behind bulk head and run water untill you can see it coming through weep hole into engene compartment. Observe water being flushed in to engine compartment for fuel. Pressure test tank if you are still not sure. Is tank empty or still has small amount of fuel in tank? Be sure to lift bow up and pump all fuel out through fuel fill hole 1 1/4". Then do pressure test. There are only 3 holes in most tanks inlet, outlet and sending unit. Making sure all are sealed for pressure test can be a challenge, when trying to detect pin holes in fuel tank.
              Live in Eugene Or, Fishing Newport Or. 1992 2452 Classic. 2016 5.7 MPI 300HP. 1.47 Alpha1 Gen 2, 16" X 14 pitch.

Comment

From day one all three of our Bayliner cruisers that we bought new have a slight fuel smell when first entering the cabin. No fuel odor in the engine compartment. I have just become used to it. Of course, every incident is different and should be checked carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X