Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to cruise with a Bravo 2 drive that has water in the gear oil?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is it safe to cruise with a Bravo 2 drive that has water in the gear oil?

    We are in the Elliott Bay Marina Seattle. A mechanical survey with fluid test determined there is water emulsified in the gear lube of the outdrive. The last full service was done January 2019. We are bringing the boat to our home base in Anacortes. The distance is about 65 miles. so 3 -4 hours. We could do it in shorter legs though. We have checked with local Mercruiser service center for diagnosis and repairs. I am just wondering if repairs should be done before open water travel. If this hadn't been discovered in a survey we undoubtedly would have just made the trip. Any suggestions on service yard in Seattle? What would you do?
    Jerome Robbins
    Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
    Anacortes, WA

    Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
    1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
    1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

    #2
    No one can provide a satisfactory answer to this. You could have the boat pulled where it is and drain the old lube to perform a pressure test. If the leak is not bad you could refill with new lube and make the trip but even this won’t guarantee damage/failure doesn’t occur.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

    Mike

    Comment


      #3
      Depends how much water is in there. Is the oil in the reservoir milky and obviously contaminated?
      See if any nearby marina can lift the boat for an oil change.
      What size boat?
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

      Comment


        #4
        The boat is a 1999 2859 with Bravo II and 454 Mercruiser. I have contacted a service yard within 20 minutes cruise that can do the work in a couple of weeks. I will feel safer getting the work done prior to moving the boat. Even if I moved it to Anacortes they couldn’t get to it until January. Thanks for your input.
        Jerome Robbins
        Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
        Anacortes, WA

        Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
        1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
        1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

        Comment


          #5
          A 2 week wait is cheap insurance. Err on the side of caution. Etc...
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

          2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

          Comment


            #6
            The simple and short answer to you question is “no it is not safe”. You might make it, or you might not....nobody knows therefore you are risking safety. You should fix it properly before making the 65 mile trip so that you don’t run the risk of putting yourself in a compromised position.
            Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

            Comment


              #7
              It is one of the pay me now ore more later deals.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

              Comment


                #8
                If I wasn’t still in dry dock, I’d tow it up there for you.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

                Comment


                  #9
                  Interestingly enough..... mildly hydrogenated gear oil (as long as it remains hydrogenated) will typically not cause rust on carbon steel components.
                  However, it's lubricating ability is greatly reduced.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                  Comment


                  • LOVERMAN
                    LOVERMAN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But it can raise your cholesterol.....

                  #10
                  Not only is not potentially not safe (a drive failure leaves you stranded and needing a tow) the potential drive failure can be very expensive, Bravo drives are not cheap to rebuild they are in a whole different price range than an Alpha drive. Getting it taken care of before setting out safer and cheaper in the long run.
                  88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                  98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

                  Long Island Sound Region

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X