Anyone put a Bow Thruster on 2859?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone put a Bow Thruster on 2859?

We are purchasing a 1999 2859 and are thinking of installing a bow thruster. Boating is supposed to be fun and the anxiety and tension of docking is just the opposite. I am coming from a twin engine with bow thruster which was a piece of cake. I want my wife to be comfortable in handling the boat and docking on her own. I got a quote for $9,000 to install a bow thruster. It would be a lot less for a stern thruster but would that be as effective? Anyone else have a thruster? Any advice?
    Jerome Robbins
    Commodore, Fidalgo Yacht Club - 2019
    Anacortes, WA

Previously owned:2001 Bayliner 4788 - twin 370 Cummins,
    1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 V8-7.4L
    1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-5.2L

I have a 3288. I would love to add a bow thruster and will be investigating it after some other projects get completed. My reasons are the same as yours - reduce stress, make things more enjoyable, and stop wasting time fighting wind and current. I acknowledge that with time and practice one could perhaps become adept enough at boat handling to not need a bow thruster but being 15+ years away from retirement I don't have the luxury of spending that much time on my boat so when I am able to take her out I'd prefer, as you said to make it as stress free as possible.

So if you want a thruster, get a thruster and everyone else's opinions be damned.

Paul
    US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
    MMSI: 338181912

Comment

We own a '98 2859. My Admiral's knees prohibited her from getting on deck to set fenders. In 2017, we had a bow thruster installed by Cap Sante Marine in Anacortes. Cost us $6,475 and has been worth every penny. They were great. The install turned out very well and I have no problem handling the boat alone. You and your bride will love a bow thruster and I highly recommend Cap Sante Marine.

Comment

• vinomaker
        vinomaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I did check with Cap Sante Marine, the price has gone up in 3 years to $9100. But I will also check with North Harbor Diesel who installed the bow thruster on our 4788. Bottom line is the cost is insignificant to the enjoyment of stressless docking in current and winds.

We installed one in our 2858 last spring and have also been very happy with it. Cost was about the same as randygh.
      1998 Bayliner 2858
      7.4L MPI / Bravo III
      Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

I have the Side Shift thruster on my 2859 and love it. It works very good. It is an external mount and about half the cost of the other posts. It is made in Canada and they are very helpful when I have called them. I do not have their contact info right now but you should be able to find them on line. If you can not find it let my know and I will go find my info.
        1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

Comment

I had a 28, if you have a bravo 3 you won't need it. 28ft is easy enough compared to 35ft+ that really pack on the weight. Single I/O isn't bad with single prop but definitely flavors turning one wy ove the other. Counter rotating props are more balanced in that regard.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I don't think the OP needs, he wants a thruster. I've never had one, but both of my Bayliner single engines (289 and 2858) had Bravo Three's. I didn't NEED one, but sometimes I really WANTed one. I also considered the Side Shift.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

You can barely see because its dark. I trailer launch every weekend so this is a must have to get on the trailer solo every Sunday. I have a bravo 2 so I don't have the control a b3 has. The PO installed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                I don't think the OP needs, he wants a thruster. I've never had one, but both of my Bayliner single engines (289 and 2858) had Bravo Three's. I didn't NEED one, but sometimes I really WANTed one. I also considered the Side Shift.
                What I am saying is if the OP was used to running a 47 docking the 28 is going to be more akin to docking the tender that was on top of it than the 47. You can get away with approaching the dock at completely different way and make it all still very graceful.
                1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

We have a 1994 2859 and it is our first boat ever. We decided for all the reasons you stated regarding reducing stress to have a bow thruster installed. I did all the research and decided I did not want to go the through-hull method. We opted for a Yacht Thruster external mount. It is a pod that mounts through 2 holes drilled through the bow. I bought it on sale at the boat show in 2019 which only turned out to be about 10% discount. We had it installed by CSR Marina here at the Des Moines Marina. I think after all was said and done including installation, including it's own battery, it was about 6K. So far it has been worth the expense. Getting in and out of our slip at the marina has become much easier as has docking at other places we have visited. When I find the pictures I can post them.
                  Jeff S
                  1994 Bayliner 2859
                  "Dancing Queen"
                  Our first boat, ever!

Comment

Jeff S
                    1994 Bayliner 2859
                    "Dancing Queen"
                    Our first boat, ever!

Comment

Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AjZcypY0o&t=902s

"ΑΛΕΞ"
                      1989 Bayliner 2556 Mercruiser 454/Bravo II
                      Chalkidiki, Greece

Toyota Land Cruiser 100 V8 470
                      Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Comment

Originally posted by kwb View Post

What I am saying is if the OP was used to running a 47 docking the 28 is going to be more akin to docking the tender that was on top of it than the 47. You can get away with approaching the dock at completely different way and make it all still very graceful.
                        My 3388 with twins was 10 times easier to dock than either the 2858 or 289. Again, NEED isn't the question, the OP wants one.
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

If you are going to do it..... do it right and install a tunnel style bow thruster.
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I had a thruster installed in my old 2855. Best money I ever spent on her. It'll hurt your wallet but you wont regret it. Don't listen to the naysayers here that say you don't need one.
                            Simo
                            2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                            Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X