2855 drifts left to right at 5mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2855 drifts left to right at 5mph

1st time bigger boat owner long time power boater, Is it normal for 2855 Ciera Sun Bridge to move left to right vs strait line while putting along at 5 mph?
    Is this just the reality of large mass being pushed along at slow speed with a slow moving single prop?
    Zero steering issues once up on plane as well as at plane speed turns.
    Does not feel like there is any slop in the cable but may be and issue and i just have't developed the feel for?
    Will be out of the water next week so may take a hard look at steering cable slop and hinge pins as well, but open to any experienced vessel owners opinions.
    Would an add on stainless skag guard help it keep straight line longer?

2000 yr, 2855 Ciera Sun Bridge modle, 454 merc with merch drive, single prop.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Skeg.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	600118
    Attached Files

I've heard that single screw I/Os tend to wander. Mine is like me coming home from the bar after a few too many. The suggestions here include slow, small inputs and wait for the reaction before more input. I'm still tinkering with mine and learning how to drive it. I just think of it as upper body exercise.
    Justin
    1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
    AQ225D w/ 280
    MMSI 338355691
    St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by C-ya View Post
      I've heard that single screw I/Os tend to wander. Mine is like me coming home from the bar after a few too many. The suggestions here include slow, small inputs and wait for the reaction before more input. I'm still tinkering with mine and learning how to drive it. I just think of it as upper body exercise.
      pretty much,thx. guess there is worse things to plague me but fortunately not on my boat for the time being.

Comment

Your experience sounds completely normal.
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Completely normal. Like C-ya said, small adjustments and wait for it to correct. My little1800 even did it.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Totally normal and understandably annoying
            1998 Bayliner 2858
            7.4L MPI / Bravo III
            Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

C-ya is correct. Try not to overcorrect.

Comment

drifting at low speeds? Move the fat guy to the other side of the boat. Works for me...but I'm the fat guy.
                Toni

Yelm, Washington
                1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And you’re running a 47 footer🤪🤣

Bow wander is perfectly normal for these deep "V" boats. I learned that trim tabs in the full down position will minimize.

Ultimately, don't try to fight it too much. The net result is usually a straight track.
                Simo
                2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Originally posted by simo View Post
                  Bow wander is perfectly normal for these deep "V" boats. I learned that trim tabs in the full down position will minimize.

Ultimately, don't try to fight it too much. The net result is usually a straight track.
                  Good point on the trim tabs. I forgot that while replying but I was told that by a few folks as well. Seems to help in my case.

Justin
                  1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
                  AQ225D w/ 280
                  MMSI 338355691
                  St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

Once you get used to it is no longer an issue. You'll anticipate and correct without thinking.

when I switched from my stainless solas bravo 2 three blade to the hill marine big cow 4 blade it also improved idle speed manners.

I still tab down but not as often

Comment

its normal I have a 245 I thought it was my steering was lose all it is its takes time to get used to it. Make turn count 1 to 2 sec and boat will move. It will pull to right as ure right handed prop

Comment

I had the same problem with my 2859. I started running the trim tabs all the way down and solved the problem 100%.
                        1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

Comment

Mine has the dual counter-rotating prop setup, and yeah it still wanders from side to side at low speeds. Ironically it feels better in rougher seas, because there's more pressure on the hull to act as a guide.

As others have said, just try and learn not to over-compensate while correcting course. The smallest turn of the wheel can have a large effect if you wait a few seconds.
                          "Binti B"
                          1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
                          Richmond, BC

Comment

Working...
                          X