How do I winterize my boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I winterize my boat?

I bought my boat (2001 2455 5.7) about 6 weeks ago from Rhode Island with the assumption that it is currently winterized since it was sitting in a boat yard for a few years. But just for my peace of mind I want to winterize it again (in upstate New York). The boat came with no manual or operators paperwork, so does anyone know where I could download a winterization checklist? Or can anyone school me on how to winterize it? I've winterized boats before but not a boat like this.

No sea trial prior to buying it????
    You must have had your lucky charm with you, and perhaps a rabbit's foot.

That said, if you are about to winterize your engine, please read this write-up.
    This pertains to the Raw Water Cooled Marine Engine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...at_pdctrvw_srp

If raw water cooled, DO NOT be tempted to use one of these winterizing kits!

I would also suggest that you obtain an OEM service or work shop manual for your specific engine/drive.
    Merc is very good at using specific engine serial numbers for the correct data and info.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If you’re going to winterize it I would first do a sea trial to determine how it runs because if there’s issues you’ll have the winter to address them before the next season. To winterize follow the Mercruiser manual but the biggest thing is to ensure the thermostat is open if using a tank to run antifreeze through the system.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
        If you’re going to winterize it I would first do a sea trial to determine how it runs because if there’s issues you’ll have the winter to address them before the next season.
        Excellent observation and suggestion!
        Why wait until spring time to discover that the engine may be bad and needs to be replaced?

To winterize follow the Mercruiser manual but the biggest thing is to ensure the thermostat is open if using a tank to run antifreeze through the system.
        Ditto Mike re; following the OEM manual.

If you are after that "Feel Good Feeling", go ahead and run AF through the system.
        However, always play it safe, and drain it afterwards.

As I've said here many times...... the rust protection, given by AF in the system, will be paled by comparison to that which occurs during the normal boating season.
        As our member Doug has said many times.... "just plain ole air won't freeze expand and damage our expensive cast iron components.... never has and never will!"
        Last edited by 2850Bounty; 09-18-2020, 04:41 AM.
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X