$ Repower 2556 $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$ Repower 2556 $

What is a realistic price for a new motor and outdrive? Any package deals to be had? I'm ok with the power and fuel economy of the 350 so I'm sure a new one would be even better. Would be nice to add an upgraded outdrive. Bravo 2 sounds like a good match? What am I up against for all the parts and pieces for complete repower? Ballpark. Great time to swap fuel tank and do some house cleaning in the bilge.
    Santa Cruz CA
    1981 3270
    1991 2556

Originally posted by seanV18 View Post
    What is a realistic price for a new motor and outdrive? Any package deals to be had? I'm ok with the power and fuel economy of the 350 so I'm sure a new one would be even better. Would be nice to add an upgraded outdrive. Bravo 2 sounds like a good match? What am I up against for all the parts and pieces for complete repower? Ballpark. Great time to swap fuel tank and do some house cleaning in the bilge.
    Being a 1991, your boat is no doubt equipped with Mercruiser.

SBC vs BBC .....
    There is more weight to contend with if going with the BBC.
    Consider stern weight. A stern heavy boat will struggle to get up on step and to stay there.

BBC = more torque.
    6.3L SBC = torque, but not as much as the BBC.
    A boat requires torque, not necessarily horse power.

Options:

Merc 5.7L SBC with Bravo drive.
    Merc 6.3L SBC with Bravo drive.
    Merc 6.3L SBC with Bravo III drive.
    Merc BBC with Bravo II or Bravo III.

More options:

Q/E built 5.7L SBC with Bravo or Bravo III drive.
    Q/E built 6.3L SBC with Bravo or Bravo III drive.

Better yet option:

Q/E built 6.3L SBC with Volvo Penta 1.78:1 DP-C or DP-C1 drive.

Side notes:

Volvo Penta DP-C does not exit the exhaust through the prop hub.
    No Gimbal suspension system in lieu of main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry.
    Fixed geometry between engine and stern drive transom unit.
    Fixed Primary Drive Shaft geometry in lieu of gimbal bearing supported primary drive shaft.
    No Gimbal bearing or required annual engine alignment once installed.
    No rubber hub drive coupler in lieu of all steel Borg Warner drive coupler.
    Larger foot print transom shield distributes force against a larger area of the transom.
    Separate transmission is easily removed for drive shaft bellows R&R.
    Most all service and/or repair work is very user friendly.
    Volvo Penta's special prop design offers 25% to 35% more thrust to the water.

Merc cannot yet copy Volvo Penta's Duo Prop propeller design.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I would like the 5.7 with a Bravo. Any ideas on $$$ for the combo?
      Santa Cruz CA
      1981 3270
      1991 2556

Comment

The previous owner of our 2655 repowered in 2018 with a Mercury Remanufacturing Alpha 4V 357 and had the sterndrive rebuilt. He said it was $14k all in.

Comment

Just looked at Michigan Motors prices. Looks like around $20,000 for new motor and outdrive. My Mechanic said to plan for around 25K said and done. Wow! I just keep throwing money into this old set up and every $1000 I spend, makes me think I should bite the bullet on a repower. I absolutely love the 2556 for my needs, the boat is in great shape otherwise and is well taken care of. Not sure I could find a similar replacement for that price with a new power plant and running gear. Next big expense may push me to do it. We shall see.
          Santa Cruz CA
          1981 3270
          1991 2556

Comment

• Centerline2
            Centerline2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The fiberglass hull will take forever to wear out, so if you like all other aspects of the boat, and it looks good to you, it makes more sense to spend the money on a repower and upgraded controls.... and the woodwork and upholstery can be upgraded as well....
            OR... take your 25k and a fist full more money and buy a different used boat in your price range, and start over with it... you will quickly learn what you have is worth putting money into IF you plan to keep it for several more years...

Go with a custom Q/E built 6.3L SBC and with a Volvo Penta 1.78:1 DP-C or DP-C1 drive.
          You can thank me later!
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Or a Bravo.
            Just don’t purchase the engine from Raptor engines 🤣

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
          Go with a custom Q/E built 6.3L SBC and with a Volvo Penta 1.78:1 DP-C or DP-C1 drive.
          You can thank me later!
          Go ahead and sell me on it, i"m listening.
          Anyone second this notion?
          How is the fuel economy compared to the 5.7?
          How about cost?

With my current set up (Mercruiser 5.7 w/ Alpha 1 Gen 1), and a light load I'm going 28mph on plane at 4000rpm. That is not even @ WOT and seems plenty fast for me and the hull. Loaded up with folks and gear I'm cruising @ 20mph @ 3200RPM give or take. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the MPG. I head down with 15 gallons of gas to top off every now and again and I'm good for several little cruises. When its crab season or on long days way up the coast fishing I'm burning some more, but doesn't ever seem that bad. Especially when I score big on a haul!
          Santa Cruz CA
          1981 3270
          1991 2556

Comment

Originally posted by seanV18 View Post

1..... Go ahead and sell me on it, i"m listening.
            2.... Anyone second this notion?
            3.... How is the fuel economy compared to the 5.7?
            4.... How about cost?

5.... With my current set up (Mercruiser 5.7 w/ Alpha 1 Gen 1), and a light load I'm going 28mph on plane at 4000rpm. That is not even @ WOT and seems plenty fast for me and the hull. Loaded up with folks and gear I'm cruising @ 20mph @ 3200RPM give or take. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the MPG. I head down with 15 gallons of gas to top off every now and again and I'm good for several little cruises. When its crab season or on long days way up the coast fishing I'm burning some more, but doesn't ever seem that bad. Especially when I score big on a haul!
            1..... Ok, I would love to sell you on the idea, but first you'll need to know several things:

This is a Bayliner boat owners forum. Bayliner boats only saw the early Volvo Penta drives, and up to and through 1986. They never saw the best of the AQ series drives.
            Brunswick (who owns Bayliner) owns Mercury Marine Corp.
            Now days Bayliner boats are primarily Mercruiser powered.

As for the SBC Q/E engine build, there isn't a decent engine builder out there who will not tell you that it is a much better way to go.

The reason why we rarely see the Q/E build being offered, is because the GM Full Dished piston is so easy to install that the technician could be drunk or high on drugs. Plus, one part number fits all 8 bores.
            When the bean counters see this, they base their decision on that ONLY.

2..... This means that our Bayliner boat owners were never able to experience the later Volvo Penta drives, meaning that you won't be able to find many experienced testimonies. In other words, how can you say that you don't like Swedish Meatballs if you've never tried them?

3.... Given that all else is OK...... fuel economy will be directly proportionate to how efficiently the drive delivers thrust to the water.

4.... Everything is expensive. The engines are going to be comparable. Few engine building companies are building a Q/E SBC engine because the bean counters won!
            However, a good used DP-C or DP-C1 stern drive will typically outlast most other drives and will save you a few dollars over that of brand new.

5.... Just curious..... if you are satisfied with what you now have, why the re-power?

All of the below refers to the AQ series drives including the DP-C and C1 drives:

...... Volvo Penta AQ series DP-C does not exit the exhaust through the prop hub. Merc does!

...... does not use a Gimbal suspension system in lieu of a main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry. Merc is Gimbal system suspension.

...... is fixed geometry between engine and stern drive transom unit. Merc is not and requires annual alignment!

...... uses fixed Primary Drive Shaft geometry in lieu of gimbal bearing supported primary drive shaft. Again, Merc is not and requires periodic gimbal bearing alignment and replacement.

...... later AQ series DP-C drive incorporates a single bearing PDS, of which does not require engine removal for replacement.

...... does not incorporate a Gimbal bearing nor required annual engine alignment once installed. It is a One-Time engine alignment.

...... does not use a rubber hub drive coupler in lieu of all steel Borg Warner drive coupler. Merc uses a rubber hub drive coupler that is subject to wear, of which requires engine removal for replacement.

...... has a larger foot print transom shield that distributes force against a larger area of the structural transom. Merc's transom unit is smaller.

...... offers a separate transmission that is easily removed for drive shaft bellows R&R. Merc requires entire drive to be removed for drive shaft bellows replacement.

...... most all service and/or repair work is very user friendly.

...... Volvo Penta's special Duo Prop propeller design offers 25% to 35% more thrust to the water. Merc's BIII props are a mirror image of each other.

Merc cannot yet copy Volvo Penta's Duo Prop propeller design.

By the way, I'm not pro Volvo Penta because my Dad or Grandfather owned them and I wanted to follow suit.
            I'm pro Volvo Penta after having owned other stern drive boats, of which allowed me to see the differences.
            I also operated my own small Volvo Penta AQ series repair biz for 24 years because I preferred the design over that of the others.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the epic write up Rick. Those sales points sure sound solid alright. Who could you recommend as a dealer for such a beast? I would like to learn more and crunch some numbers.

5. Reason for repower:

She is old and can only last so long.

I keep pumping $$$ into keeping her going right (beyond normal maintenance and common expected boat related shenanigans).

I would like to minimize that unsettling feeling of " Hope she gets r done and back today"
              Santa Cruz CA
              1981 3270
              1991 2556

Comment

I’ll second the 6.3 sbc for power but have it built locally by a reputable engine builder that’ll stand by his work!!!
                I’ve personally been having issues with my engine builder who is not local to me, it’s been a pita!! and if I didn’t know how to resolve most of it myself I’d be a thousand miles up sheet creek....
                Im partial to Mecruiser but it’s only because I’ve never had any “hands on” with the VP drives.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If I lived in Portland, I'd go VP and hold Rick to his word. I'm not. I would go Merc, just for familiarity.
                  Nobody know mores about a 2556 than Dave. No....body. Nobody
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by talman View Post
                    If I lived in Portland, I'd go VP and hold Rick to his word.
                    Well, whether the OP lives near Portland or not, we want him to have the best performance.... yes/no?

I would go Merc, just for familiarity.
                    All due respect..... where is the science in that?

You no doubt remember Don S. Don had experience with the Merc, OMC and had 13 years experience with Volvo Penta.
                    Don was once asked which drive he preferred. His answer was VP.
                    His own boat was equipped with Volvo Penta, and a Duo Prop to boot.

He once even posted a link to a Merc BIII -vs- Volvo Penta Duo Prop shake-down article.
                    The Duo Prop was found to be better up to 40+ mph.
                    The BIII was found to be better from 40+ mph and above.
                    The 2556 is NOT a 40+ mph boat!

Keep in mind my #1 and #2 comments in post #8, in that we Bayliner owners were not given the chance to experience the DP-C or DP-C1 drives as a factory option.
                    If you have never eaten Brussels Sprouts, how would you know if you liked them or not, and how could you possibly tell others to not eat them?
                    Let's not turn this into an ugly Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. Let's use real life experience and real life comparisons.

A little additional info:

Volvo Penta introduced the patented cone clutch drive in/around the early 1960s. They had issues just as Merc did.
                    By the time the 270 was introduced, things were good.

Volvo Penta later introduced the patented Duo Prop in 1983.

After many years of trying to get patent rights from Volvo Penta, Merc was finally able to introduce the cone clutch equipped Bravo drive in 1988.
                    After many years of the same, Merc was finally able to get the patent rights to introduce the Bravo III drive (their version of a twin counter-rotating propeller drive) in the later 90s (not sure what year).

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

'my' familiarity it isn't science.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

My only comment to be sure the OP is understanding that the VP recommendation is a system that is no longer in production so this will required used parts which for now are still available while the Mercruiser is still in production.
                        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Volvo Penta DPS-B Ocean X Outdrive- 1.78 ratio

Item Number: 21615549

$8,549.00

​​​​​​

Is this the drive you speak of?

Also What does the Q/E stand for in the 6.3? I cant find that listed in any of the motors I've come across.

Dealer recommendation?

Is it available with a closed cooling option?

Santa Cruz CA
                          1981 3270
                          1991 2556

Comment

Working...
                          X