Been making some progress on my Contessa 2850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been making some progress on my Contessa 2850

Took the boat out June 19th to figure out what else needed to be done besides the typical tune up and oil change, PO complained about engines wouldn't Rev up past 3000 rpm's and I experienced the same, the port side engine started backfiring continuously. Since then I have done numerous tests, including testing voltage and continuity on both coils and ignition modules and they tested fine except for the port side coil when measuring the ohms it was all over the place, so I went ahead and ordered 2 new coils, and port side still wouldn't start, starboard fired right up. Measured voltage to both coils starboard 12.5 volts and port had 11.4 volts, so I figured that was the problem and now to figure out why. My little brother was in town from Michigan and he loves electrical stuff, so we started chasing down my voltage loss, followed the wire to the engine plug with no luck there, however we did find the ground wire wasn't all the way in and wasn't making a good contact if any at all. Fixed it, then we moved to the ignition switch to measure voltage and after looking at the back of the switch we didn't bother checking the voltage because of all of the corrosion. Replaced both switches, measured the voltage and habits 12.5 volts and fired up like it should.
    Attached Files
    1984 Contessa Sunbridge 2850
    Twin 5.7's 260 hp/VP 280 drives
    Ogden, UT

Glad to hear you are making progress.

I can't see the pictures - says "Invalid file specified".
    Justin
    1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
    AQ225D w/ 280
    MMSI 338355691
    St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

• GaryT1974
      GaryT1974 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I'm trying to fix and having a hard time with it.

• C-ya
      C-ya commented
      Editing a comment
      I host my pictures offsite and then provide a link in my post, or link it as a picture in my post. I use imgur.com, but other sites work just as well. I gave up on Photobucket. Apparently there is another way to link the pictures in your post but I don't know how to do that. By hosting offsite, you aren't using server space on this forum's server.

Also just installed 2 new Pertronix Flamethrower II distributors (D200801) and coils (45111) as the old ones looked to be the original distributors with the Hotspark modules, which seemed to be in decent shape but went ahead and replaced them both. Now both engines fire up effortlessly, before it was quite a chore just to get them started.
    Ogden, UT

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT1974 View Post
      Also just installed 2 new Pertronix Flamethrower II distributors (D200801) and coils (45111) as the old ones looked to be the original distributors with the Hotspark modules, which seemed to be in decent shape but went ahead and replaced them both. Now both engines fire up effortlessly, before it was quite a chore just to get them started.
      Suggestion:

With your harmonic balancers marked off up to 35*, and with a standard strobe style timing light, adjust your Total ignition advance so that it offers the correct advance @ 3,200 RPM.
      (see your OEM specs for this)
      Unless it is way out of whack, pay little attention to what the BASE advance is doing.
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• GaryT1974
        GaryT1974 commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay thanks, I did want to make sure that it is correct. Plus these distributors have advance limiters that can be installed, (came with both distributors) I'm not familiar with it but will look into it.

The twins with the new distributors and coils. So purdy!
      Ogden, UT

Comment

Gary, I hope that you don't mind.... but I've made a few observations that I think are worth mentioning:

Green circle..... your 95mm exhaust couplers are too short. The OEM couplers are always too short.
        When too short, it places the clamps over the Elbow's scalloped areas, compressing the material into scallops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Volvo Penta AQ series 95mm couplers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	594100

Click image for larger version  Name:	AQ series exhaust elbow.png Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	594099
        If left as is, it will lead to restricted seawater flow, and eventual over-heating.
        I would replace these with soft wall 95mm marine wet exhaust hose and about 2" longer each.
        This will allow you to put the clamps further up onto the elbow and away from the scalloped areas.

Brown circle..... these wires may become chaffed against the throttle cable.

Blue circle..... there should be a small compression spring on the back side of the cable's threaded area.

Red circle..... what are these?

Gray circle.... what is the fitting at the Stbd side supply hose, and what is it that appears to be a bulge on the Port side supply hose?

Yellow circle..... the fuel line is very close to the V-belt and pulley.

Also, not circled, I see what appears to be the temp sender wire resting on the intake manifold exhaust cross-over area. This area gets very hot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gary t1974.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	594095
        Attached Files
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Bounty, I will address these issues immediately. The red circle are electric fuel pumps installed by previous owner, grey circle hose doesn't have a bulge it's a 90° with a bigger opening at that end. Will post a pic after I delivery and go pick up the boat. Brown circle, I will address that as well, was going to use conduit and tie up neatly. The wire resting on the intake is the electric choke wire, I disconnected it because it drawing too much power when hooked up to the choke, I plan on fixing that. If you see the pink zip tie on the inside of the area to keep the choke plate from closing when I was fixing another issue.
          Will address the blue circle too, and install a compression spring. And replace exhaust hose as suggested too. Haven't been in too much of a hurry to get it back in the water as I want to fix everything and do it right. I'm home off the road everyweek and pull the boat out to fix more stuff on it.
          Ogden, UT

Comment

Previous owner installed those (electric pumps) because he couldn't get both engines to go over 3000 rpm's, which is why he sold it, and I picked it up cheap. ($2000)
            Ogden, UT

Comment

Here's some more pics of the hoses, fuel line and sea water hose.
              Attached Files
              Ogden, UT

Comment

The wet exhaust hose for the Volvo Penta is tough to find but I finally found some, in stock too.

https://www.marineengineparts.com/sh...r-hose-no-wire
                Ogden, UT

Comment

This place also carries it but out of stock

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trid...se-200-3340-06
                  Ogden, UT

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT1974 View Post
                    Here's some more pics of the hoses, fuel line and sea water hose.
                    Looking at the first picture the mechanical fuel pump is still installed. Dude you confirm the electric fuel pumps he used are marine rated and wired to stop running if the engine dies?
                    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I have not, but am pretty sure that they don't and will remove them. Yes I still have the mechanical pumps.
                      Ogden, UT

Comment

Gary, while I'm not sure what brand or model number, those electric fuel pumps appear to be for smaller engines.

Please note:
                        An electric fuel pump's power supply must be interruptible by a N/O low oil pressure switch.
                        This is so that in the event of an engine stall (no oil pressure), the pump must quit operating.
                        This is a USCG requirement.

Along with this comes the need for a "start-by-pass" circuit, which can be via a relay that is triggered by the starter motor's "S" circuit........... or, via a Momentary helm switch that would trigger the relay.
                        I prefer the momentary helm switch that allows pump operation prior to any starter motor action.

By the way, the Volvo Penta "exhaust elbow-to-Y-pipe" rubber couplers are 95mm soft wall wet exhaust hose.......... not 3-3/4" ID.
                        The 3-3/4" ID will be slightly loose.
                        It will best serve you to use SS T-bolt clamps (more clamping power and they will not grab onto the hose material while being tightened).

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Wasn't having any luck finding 95mm wet hose other than the precut hose from Volvo, and you suggested about 2" longer. Those clamps will be easy to find though, I can go down to the local hose supply place and get some. Would have thought the hose supply store would have had what I needed, but no luck. There is another one in Salt Lake, I'll have to call them and see.
                          Ogden, UT

Comment

Working...
                          X