Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys! New 3255 owner, I have some (probably silly and simple) questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys! New 3255 owner, I have some (probably silly and simple) questions...

First off, I'm brand new here. Just bought a 1997 3255 Avanti 2 weeks ago. Absolutely in love with the boat so far as it's my first boat that's not just a pontoon. So I'm spending all of my time learning this boat and its systems, I'm brand new to a boat that is this complex (galley, air conditioning, full head, holding tanks, etc...)

So here is my unbelievably simple question that I cannot figure out. On the starboard side you have your 3 inlets for gas, waste, and water... then further aft on the actual side of the boat there is another water inlet for water. This one says "portable/city water only". What do I have 2 water inlets for? Which one supplies what? Is one for the head? And the "potable water" inlet just for the faucets?

Like i said, embarrassingly simple question. Reading the owners manual and parts guide I cant get a definitive answer.

Thanks guys! I'm sure this will just be the beginning of my silly questions as I try to navigate the waters of learning how to operate a cruiser!

Also, this vessel has dual 5.7L Mercruisers, it seems as if they like to leak gear fluid while underway that collects in the bilge. None of the oil goes to the outside of the boat. It all stays inside, I noticed that neither cap has an O-ring in it, and that the oil seems to be collecting in the transom area, but cant get a good view back there. From what I read this isnt very uncommon with these boats. Any tips for this?

One water may be to fill the fresh water tank and the other to connect a hose while tied to a pier. The first is just a opening with no hose fitting. My guess.

Gear lube leaking into the bilge is one of two things, either reservoir overfill without enough expansion space/ clogged breather cap or leaking fitting where the lube line penetrates the transom. Both are know sources.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

For the water inlets I believe one is to fill the tank with a hose or water cans the other is for you to hook a hose directly to city water and bypass tank and pump system for water use when in a slip. If hose is hooked directly to city water make sure you disconnect or turn off city water supply when you leave the boat. A leak or broken line in the boat would mean a continuous flow of city water into boat which could possibly sink boat in the slip.
      2003 245 5.0L Alph 1 Gen II
      Libertyville IL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
        One water may be to fill the fresh water tank and the other to connect a hose while tied to a pier. The first is just a opening with no hose fitting. My guess.

Gear lube leaking into the bilge is one of two things, either reservoir overfill without enough expansion space/ clogged breather cap or leaking fitting where the lube line penetrates the transom. Both are know sources.
        Thank you! That makes sense about the water inlets. I'll give them a try today.

As far as the gear oil that seems to be the common consensus. I'll get some new caps/reservoirs online and switch them out and have the seals checked when I pull the boat.

I just text the former owner and he told me he had accidentally overfilled them at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that could cause a leak now. Because they are definitely still leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
          I think that Mike is correct!
          While on city water, there will be a check valve that prevents the city water pressure from going in reverse to the system pump.

FYI..... never leave the boat unattended with the city water turned ON.
          If the system was to develop a leak, it would have the potential for flooding and sinking the boat.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by Zskillit View Post

Thank you! That makes sense about the water inlets. I'll give them a try today.

As far as the gear oil that seems to be the common consensus. I'll get some new caps/reservoirs online and switch them out and have the seals checked when I pull the boat.

I just text the former owner and he told me he had accidentally overfilled them at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that could cause a leak now. Because they are definitely still leaking.
            If overfilled that could have been the issue. As the gear lube heats up in the drive it expands into the reservoir, if to full it will come out the cap. Try laying an oil absorbing sheet under it to see if it collects lube.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Use a turkey baster or something similar to suck out excess oil until it gets to the full line. The post above regarding expansion is correct.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Make sure you have a pressure regulator inline when you hook up to shore water.
                Santa Cruz CA
                1981 3270
                1991 2556

Comment

Originally posted by Zskillit View Post
                  Also, this vessel has dual 5.7L Mercruisers, it seems as if they like to leak gear fluid while underway that collects in the bilge. None of the oil goes to the outside of the boat. It all stays inside, I noticed that neither cap has an O-ring in it, and that the oil seems to be collecting in the transom area, but cant get a good view back there. From what I read this isnt very uncommon with these boats. Any tips for this?
                  A while back, I was leaking gear lube into my bilge due to a missing o-ring under my reservoir cap. Start there because its an easy fix.

Simo
                  2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
                  Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

Originally posted by simo View Post

A while back, I was leaking gear lube into my bilge due to a missing o-ring under my reservoir cap. Start there because its an easy fix.
                    That's exactly where I am going to start. It doesnt seem as if its leaks unless I spend significant amounts of time on the water pushing it at a decent clip (3500 rpm or so). Doesnt seem like I lose much at the slip.

It definitely isnt overfilled now as after I've spent a day out and come back I've actually had the lube alarm go off because of the low gear oil.

I'm wondering if the previous owner overfilled and when I took it home for the first time (an hour plus ride across the great lakes) it blew a seal in the cap or something since it was overfilled. Since when I got back the reservoir was dang near empty. I'm starting with the cap as neither has an O-ring.

You guys have been awesome with helping me so far.

Another quick question, receptacles only work when connected to shore power huh? Dont have a generator, and it seems like only the lights and radio work when not attached. My cigarette lighter port works so thata good for charging my phone. Bummer the other things cant draw from the house batteries or the engines when they're running.

Comment

If the oil is getting low and the reservoir is not overfilled and you see oil in the bilge then a yoke seal is probably the cause. Been there done that 3 times on the previous Avanti.
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                        If the oil is getting low and the reservoir is not overfilled and you see oil in the bilge then a yoke seal is probably the cause. Been there done that 3 times on the previous Avanti.
                        I've heard about the yoke seal before. Is that where the tube enters the transom? I put my hand back behind the engine where the driveshaft meets the transom and I saw some blue oil on my hands. Is that consistent with the yoke seal? I'm guessing I have to pull the boat to fix it, huh?

Comment

The shaft which connects the drive to the motor has a seal to keep the oil in the drive. Once the seal is compromised the oil travels into the bilge. The drive needs to be pulled and serviced, you will find a bunch of oil in the bellows when you remove the drive if in fact the yoke seal is bad.
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Here is a link to my previous 1997 3255 Avanti. Pictures date back about 5 years but the boat still pretty much looks the same. Highly modified which may give you some good ideas for your ride. My brother in law bought the boat and has kept it in great condition, he has since switched the lowers so he now has Bravo 3 drives further increasing the performance. https://midnightsun.smugmug.com/Midnight-Sun-Photos
                            Cheers, Hans
                            2007 Carver 41 CMY
                            Twin Volvo D6-370
                            Montreal, Canada
                            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSun View Post
                              Here is a link to my previous 1997 3255 Avanti. Pictures date back about 5 years but the boat still pretty much looks the same. Highly modified which may give you some good ideas for your ride. My brother in law bought the boat and has kept it in great condition, he has since switched the lowers so he now has Bravo 3 drives further increasing the performance. https://midnightsun.smugmug.com/Midnight-Sun-Photos

Oh my gosh that is absolutely beautiful. How on earth... I almost cant believe we have the same boat! I need to show these to my wife. I need a generator in the worst way so I can run AC. Receptacles dont even work unless I'm attached to shore power which is a bummer. Need some more battery power as well!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Working...
                              X