Shore Power Vs. 12V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shore Power Vs. 12V

So I replaced the radio on my 2355 today cause the one we had didn't have Bluetooth ... I was surprised that it wouldn't power on when on shore power. So I checked the outlet (we have TV hooked up to it, and that worked. However, the water pump didn't work nor did any of the lights while on shore power. If I unplug and turn the selector in the engine bay to ON, everything works. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I would think that while plugged in that the water pump and lights would at least work! Is this the way the converter is supposed to operate?
    Thousand Islands, NY
    "The Compromise"

1999 Ciera 2355
    Mercruiser 5.0
    Alpha One Gen II

Those are two entirely separate systems.

When on Shore Power, your 120 vac items should power up, given that the circuit breakers have been turned ON.

If you do have a Converter, that simply supplements 12 vdc battery power. However, a battery bank must be selected via the MBSS.

In the absence of Shore Power, your On Board 12 vdc items should power up when your MBSS selects a battery bank.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
      Those are two entirely separate systems.

When on Shore Power, your 120 vac items should power up, given that the circuit breakers have been turned ON.

If you do have a Converter, that simply supplements 12 vdc battery power. However, a battery bank must be selected via the MBSS.

In the absence of Shore Power, your On Board 12 vdc items should power up when your MBSS selects a battery bank.
      Yes, I realize they are entirely different systems, but I was under the belief that if I selected ALL on the MBSS and was still plugged into shore power I would have an issue if I turned on the breakers for the converter. Correct?
      Thousand Islands, NY
      "The Compromise"

1999 Ciera 2355
      Mercruiser 5.0
      Alpha One Gen II

Comment

This is what I have. This is a converter, right?
        Attached Files
        Thousand Islands, NY
        "The Compromise"

1999 Ciera 2355
        Mercruiser 5.0
        Alpha One Gen II

Comment

That is your 120 VAC panel. It handles incoming 120 VAC and distribution to the boat to all the outlets/appliances.

I think what Rick meant to say was "if you do have an inverter". I don't know if your boat came stock with one or not. Since it has a battery charger, it might have. Inverters provide 120 VAC from 12 VDC (meaning you need a decent battery bank to run anything for any amount of time). 120 VAC when on shore power would run everything you have that is AC (clock, fan, toaster, TV, etc.). Your 12 VDC items would run off the battery banks (the charger would keep the batteries topped off). The inverter would provide power to the 120 VAC items when anchored or where you have no shore power.

Trace your wires and look for new things that may be wired incorrectly. Check the MBSS - there may be connections to the wrong terminals so things are powered at the wrong time or from the wrong terminal.

From your original post, I'm guessing your radio is wired direct rather than through the key switch. If nothing changed, I'm not sure why replacing the radio would cause this.
          Justin
          1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
          AQ225D w/ AQ280
          MMSI 338355691
          St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree, the pic shown is the shore power AC panel, nothing more.

Originally posted by MarbleCitySunchaser View Post
          This is what I have. This is a converter, right?
          Nope not a convert. Shore power panel with main breaker and separate breakers for the items labeled next to them. Your Bluetooth is only on the 12VDC circuit. You could install an inverter on the 110VAC side to provide 12VDC to the Bluetooth but once off shorepower you would loose it.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

The 12v appliances should run entirely off the battery... it makes no difference if you have AC shorepower or if the breaker is on...

Most 12v appliances will need the batt switch ON to get power from the batteries, but some appliances such as the bilge pump will be wired around the MBSS (batt switch) so that it can run to keep the bilge from flooding when you arent at the boat for a long period...

You can wire the radio around the mbss also, but its not recommended because when you shut the batts off and leave the boat, you want ALL things off (few exceptions)..
            the yellow memory wire will have to be wired around the mbss if you want to hold the presets in the radio...
            ​​​​
            the downside of wiring the memory wire (yellow) around the mbss is that it will draw current ALL the time, and can drain the battery if the boat is not kept plugged in to ac power with a working batt charger keeping the batts charged up...

Depending on the batt/bank size and age of the bank, you may get a couple months or a couple weeks before the batts are drained so low the engine wont start...

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by C-ya View Post
              That is your 120 VAC panel. It handles incoming 120 VAC and distribution to the boat to all the outlets/appliances.

I think what Rick meant to say was "if you do have an inverter".
              Nope..... I thought that the OP was talking about a "converter", of which today we use our On Board Battery Charger.

Marble City Sunchaser, I'll take it that you do not have a "Converter", and that you have an "Inverter".... yes/no?

If you want 120 vac only, you will need to be on either Shore Power or have a generator running, and with the main breaker and the individual circuit breakers ON.

If you want 120 vac via your Inverter, your Inverter will need to be turned ON, and with the main breaker and the individual circuit breakers ON.
              (most of today's Marine Inverters incorporate an Auto-Transfer switch that will power some or all of your 120 vac breakers)

If you want 12 vdc only, you will need to make a battery bank selection via your MBSS (main battery selector switch), and with the individual 12 vdc circuit breakers ON.

On a smaller 2355, you should have the SLBB (start load battery bank) on MBSS #1, and your HLBB (house load battery bank) on MBSS #2.
              Avoid using ALL/BOTH except for during an emergency.

Start your engine on batt bank #1.
              Charge batt bank #1 as you warm up your engine.
              Switch to batt bank #2 and enjoy your cruise.
              Stay on batt bank #2 while anchored or docked.

Repeat as required.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• Centerline2
                Centerline2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Or... upgrade the system with an ACR and let it do all the work, to avoid the need to switch between the banks...

• C-ya
                C-ya commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
                Nope..... I thought that the OP was talking about a "converter", of which today we use our On Board Battery Charger.
                Thanks. Learned something new. Converters seem to be very versatile and useful.

I was told years ago not to start a boat while on shore power as it could damage alternators. Don't know if that's true but as for having your 12 volt system on while on shorepower, that's what it's designed to do. Shorepower runs the batttery charger allowing you to run 12 volt stuff without draining the battery.
              Doug
              Hanging Loose
              98 Carver 350 Mariner
              2013-
              KRUSTY KRAB
              2001 305
              5.7 BII
              2006-2013

Comment

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                Carguy, there’s no issue with starting an engine with the shore power on that I’ve heard of. Perhaps fifty or sixty years ago when boats began featuring shore power and chargers and alternators were not as robust as they are now, it was an issue. Of course there are the procedural skippers who require the shore power cord to be aboard to prevent it from being forgotten until there’s a lurch and scramble.

Originally posted by carguy View Post
              I was told years ago not to start a boat while on shore power as it could damage alternators. Don't know if that's true but as for having your 12 volt system on while on shorepower, that's what it's designed to do. Shorepower runs the batttery charger allowing you to run 12 volt stuff without draining the battery.
              Pete is correct.
              There should be no issues with starting up while the SP is connected.... with the on board charger ON or not!
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X