No announcement yet.

Large amount of battery usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you get a spark when reattaching the cable, that indicates an immediate and continuous draw. Probably a short to negative (ground) somewhere. It looks like a fuse pull will be required assuming it isn't something wired straight to the battery or the positive side of a battery via a terminal block.
    Justin
    1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
    AQ225D w/ AQ280
    MMSI 338355691
    St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

Ok i will start pulling fuses tom. THis is terrible. But im willing to learn as i like boating. This boat has been a challange with all the issues but im slowly getting things goings. Last year was great everything ran fine now thisyear there is issues. I didnt connect anything to bank two just the thick red lead and black lead.. Oviously accessories are all on bank two.

Comment

Originally posted by C-ya View Post
        When you get a spark when reattaching the cable, that indicates an immediate and continuous draw. Probably a short to negative (ground) somewhere. It looks like a fuse pull will be required assuming it isn't something wired straight to the battery or the positive side of a battery via a terminal block.
        Lots of good points here.

60 ma with everything off is way too high as I stated before.

8 amp spikes are crazy.

Carefully one by one pull fuses and wait to see if the 60ma goes lower and/or if the 8amp spike stops happening...….take your time

Yes--look for extra stuff added like fish finders and other stuff added by a previous owner..
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

sk7499

Also--Bravo for setting up the meter properly to read that 8 amp spike!

Glad it did not exceed hour internal 10 amp fuse!

…...and...……….even a brand new battery will show a momentary drop in the voltage reading when an 8 amp load is applied.

The secondary question is...………..was the battery expected life span reduced because of the electrical gremlins?...……...hopefully they will test in the "acceptable" range when the test is performed………but the battery took a few body blows recently and I would keep a close eye on them.

Comment

I found the voltage spike. When I remove the wire from the fuse marked refrigerator then the 8 amp spike is gone. I still have a continuous draw of 50ma that's manageable I think. So here is my question chances are I have to pull refrigerator out can this wait I dont use it. What I'm asking is if I leave this wire disconnected in the fuse box then it will not be operational. I would address the issue at the end of the season or will the circuit still be live

Comment

Originally posted by sk7499 View Post
              I found the voltage spike. When I remove the wire from the fuse marked refrigerator then the 8 amp spike is gone. I still have a continuous draw of 50ma that's manageable I think. So here is my question chances are I have to pull refrigerator out can this wait I dont use it. What I'm asking is if I leave this wire disconnected in the fuse box then it will not be operational. I would address the issue at the end of the season or will the circuit still be live
              Glad you found the issue.

Sounds like the fridge is trying to start running...…….can't...….gives up..................and tries again.

Leaving the fridge fuse removed/wire removed until the end of the summer is fine to do.

50 ma is still a bit high for any storage longer than a few days.

I would disconnect the battery if the boat is expected to sit unused for more than a week.

Comment

Understood. I will have it on shore power so I think 50ma will be ok until I address it next winter..thank u everyone I belive we got it sorted. If u guys are in wi pleasant prairie ever give me a shot I owe a dinner and a beer

Comment

Great you have found the problem, I would recommend not disconnect your battery, because your automatic bilgepumps wil not work.
                  Set the mainswitch at off, and everything is disconnected except your pumps.
                  BTW, is the turn switch at the front of your refridgerator at 0?
                  50 mA is still a bit high, you can check if someone has mixed up the voltage en memory connection at the radio.
                  Is the current still there if you set the mainswitch at off? Could be the faulty floatingswitch.

Thanks for your invitation for a beer, but I live in the Netherlands. A bit far travelling with my 245. ;-)

Comment

We forgot the Mercathode system. Normally it uses about 20 to 40mA in fresh water. Together with the memory of your radio about 50 mA is quite normal.

Comment

Working...
                    X