Large amount of battery usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large amount of battery usage

Well i ran into an issue ... Im ready to put the boat in the water go to put in the batterys here one click and done. I recharge the batteies boat starts. I then turn off motor and put voltmeter on batteries its at 12.6. I then swicth to bank 2 its at 12.55. Then i notic on bank 2 it pulls the battey down 12.3V to 12.1V then it jusmps back up to 12.4V. Then it drops again to 12.1 V. What could this be a bad battery or something else. Any idea how to troubleshoot it

Have you tried isolating the batteries? Just disconnect one and see what happens, then same with the other. May be a bad battery.
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

Comment

Is your boat on a trailer?

If so, take it to a place like Advance Auto and let them test the batteries in your boat.

Btw...………….How old are the batteries?

36-48 months old represents the "reliable" life of flooded lead acid batteries for most applications.
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

They are 3 years old. On trailer I'll pull them and take to auto zone and report back thanks

Comment

FYI.... a fully charged wet cell battery should be at rest for at least 8 hours (after the charge) before for you can take an accurate voltage reading.

Batteries can and will occasionally go bad prematurely.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Probably a bad battery. Isolate them and test one by one. A battery tester is your friend. https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-BT705...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Voltage means nothing in general. Once had a 12v battery that registered 12v however it would not light a little 5w bulb. That was a real eye opener for me.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Yep, you can have voltage but without current there's no power. Power = voltage x current.
              Glen Sherwood
              1987 3270 twin 305’s
              Coupeville, WA

Comment

It appears its aft bilge wiring. I took off the wires now I cant figure out how to connect it.

Bilge pump has twi wires labeled brown/red positive and black ground. There are three more wires from the bilge pump two brow wires and one black wire. On the boat side I have
                Two yellow wires
                two brown wires that are spliced together one brown/red and one brown wire... I cant figure out the connection. I keep looking at the 245 2003 bayliner manual and it doesnt make sence.anyone can help. Its Johnson bilge pump.here is pic of wires

Comment

Is this the schematic?

Comment

• sk7499
                    sk7499 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    not really as i cant trace the wires .... As its so tightley packed together i only have access to where the wires came apart.

Im trying to match the boatside to the pump and float side these things arent color coded.
                    Boat side
                    Yellow
                    Yellow
                    Brown(2 wires Spliced together)
                    Brown Red

Pump side
                    Brown Red= Labeled +voltage
                    Black= Labeled - Voltage

Float switch
                    BrowN wire
                    Black Wire
                    Brown Wire

• sk7499
                    sk7499 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes i just cant figure out how to read it

i was hopping someone has a 2003-2008 bayliner as i think the wiring is the same that maybe they can check there wiring and let me know.. I know its a big ask but i dont know how else to figure this out

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilge pump electrical drawing modified.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	584081

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• C-ya
                        C-ya commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yellow = negative. Don't let that throw you. From your photo, it looks like the yellow with blue tape was connected to the black with blue tape.

I'm not sure I will be able to figure this out.the blue tape I put on there to try and go through diffrent combinations

Boat side
                      Yellow
                      Yellow
                      Brown(2 wires Spliced together)
                      Brown Red

Pump side
                      Brown Red= Labeled +voltage
                      Black= Labeled - Voltage

Float switch
                      BrowN wire
                      Black Wire
                      Brown Wire

Comment

Problem is there is two yellows so yellow maybe connect to blacks

Comment

I think you`re correct, check my schematic at 7:59 PM. Brown-Red is your (unswitched) positive at the floating switch.Brown is used for manual from the dashboard
                          But what was your primary problem, is the pump constant running? Malfunction floatswitch? Water in the unit?

Comment

Working...
                          X