Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Leave Your Fridge On All The Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Leave Your Fridge On All The Time?

While poking around the boat today, I turned the fridge off (previous owner left it on).

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but then again some devices last longer if you keep them running constantly. What do you guys do? This boat lives in the water fulltime.
    "Binti B"
    1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Richmond, BC

On all the time here. Usually full of soda, and condiments between uses.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Turn mine on after recommissioning for the season, turn it off at winter layup. I have beers in there!
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I leave mine on all the time.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

I leave it off and propped open.

A bank of six golf cart batteries was ruined a couple of years ago when my boat was disconnected from shore power for 4-5 days with the refrigerator running. The refrigerator switched to DC power automatically and totally drained the battery bank. There were a few maintenance guys working on the dock during this time period. I think they unplugged my boat to plug in their power tools, but they never fessed up to it. Since then I've made it a point to leave the refrigerator turned off.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Ours is off (lift life) unless we go out and expect to use it (rare). Most of our boat use is day tripping so we just throw what beverages we need in a small cooler. It hadn't been used when we bought the boat and is like new. We keep a box or 2 of A&H in it to ensure it stays odor free. We have looked at a lot of boats and when the wife sees one that the owners have left the reefer on, full of something, and then let it sit in the Fl sun in an off condition, let's just say they turn into science projects. Quickly. And rust, mold, and SMELLS can force even the rats to vacate.

When we do use it, it gets turned off upon return to dock/lift and allowed to defrost into a towel, then cleaned & sanitized, and packed with a couple of fresh boxes of A&H. Still looks, smells, and runs like it was 1998.
            2004 Monterey 282 Cruiser
            Twin Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-E
            SX-M 1.6gr Outdrives
            Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Little trick for those that do leave it off. Put some crumpled newspaper in and it won’t get that musty smell nor will the Mold grow. All it takes is a few sheets loosely crumpled.
              Currently watching from shore while deciding what my next boat will be !

Comment

Mine is off, but she lives on a trailer, but plugged into power.
                Don
                1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

A good boating friend suggested that if you treat your boat like a house, you use it more. Fridge ON!
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

Our boat lives in the water and we use it regularly. The fridge is full of good things and it remains on 24/7.
                    Jim Gandee
                    1989 3888
                    Hino 175's
                    Fire Escape
                    [email protected]
                    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Mine was on all the time, full of adult beverages ready to go whenever I wanted to enjoy a sunny day down at the marina with friends. I was on shore-power so no big deal.
                      On a side note, my buddy had a sportsmobile (4wd apocolyptic pop top rv/van) that he had a fridge in also on all the time full of brews. It was not connected to power, but had a couple of solar panels on the roof (maybe the size of a 40” tv) that kept it fully charged.
                      Esteban
                      Huntington Beach, California
                      2018 Element 16
                      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

On the water, shore power, in the slip year round, refer is on all the time.

Mike
                        2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
                        2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
                        2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                        Redmond, Washington
                        The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

I keep mine off with the door propped open when I am off the boat for a while.
                          "FOG 1"
                          1989 Bayliner 3288
                          Twin 305s
                          Kenmore, WA

Comment

Mine is always on with an assortment of beverages.
                            Ted G
                            The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                            Designers Edition
                            Mercury 350 Mag
                            290 Volvo DP

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
                              I leave it off and propped open.

A bank of six golf cart batteries was ruined a couple of years ago when my boat was disconnected from shore power for 4-5 days with the refrigerator running. The refrigerator switched to DC power automatically and totally drained the battery bank. There were a few maintenance guys working on the dock during this time period. I think they unplugged my boat to plug in their power tools, but they never fessed up to it. Since then I've made it a point to leave the refrigerator turned off.
                              Ours has two separate circuits AC and DC. Just thinking about this, maybe turn off the DC circuit and only allow the AC to run when away and on shore power. Might need to investigate.
                              4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's

MMSI: 338013392
                              Call sign: Sea Daze

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

Working...
                              X