No announcement yet.

Would You Use E10 Fuel In a Carbureted 96 Mercruiser 7.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you plan to use E-10 during the season, I would suggest using Non-E for your last few tanks before laying up for the winter.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Change the fuel hoses, change the fuel filter more often for a while and run the E-10. I have since I got our boat. I do however live in a very dry climate which can make a difference.

My personal preference would be to build a 12 to 1 compression engine, put in the ideal high torque cam, put on a bigger propeller and run E-85. But finding the stuff is sketchy so I wouldn't do it. I used to mechanic a 600 HP outlaw sprint car in the 70's using straight methanol.
      2550 Cierra, AQ260 Volvo Penta (350 Chevy)
      Laporte, CO

Comment

ethanol fuel is fine as long as you are using it up quickly, but when it sets in the tank for very long is when problems can arise, and the temps in which it is at while setting there..... 2 months is about as long as I feel the ethanol fuel can be dependably stored, even though it starts to degrade within a couple of days....

using some of the fuel and then topping it off with fresh ethanol fuel doesnt qualify as using it up quickly, because when the fuel starts to degrade and separate, adding fresh fuel does NOT make it like new again.... run the tank as low as you are comfortable with and then fill it with fresh fuel again.....

I wont use ethanol fuel in anything except our car, which gets fresh fuel at least every week.... EXCEPT when we are boating in a location where ethanol free fuel is not available, then I have no choice but to use the sub-standard grade of fuel....

and it causes the engine to run noticeably rougher with slightly less performance... my 2 outboard motors really notice the difference in the quality of the fuel they get...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

If you are worried about using E-10, one way to deal with it is to start using the Racor filter with the metal bowl. These are better filters to start with and can hold much more water than standard ones. Even so I have not had trouble using just the standard Sierra filters. Here we have no choice, it is all E10.
          88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
          98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Metal bowl required on our gassers. Should be a cross reference from Merc/Sierra filter to a Racor.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If your engine has the Thunderbolt V ignition pack, it has a knock sensor in it and will compensate for the E10 in day-day running. I have used E10 in my 2452 with a5.7 vortec engine. I noticed no performance degradation to speak of.
            When the gas stopped having lead in i.t, I remember how the naysayers were talking about engines blowing up, needing yearly valve jobs, etc. This did not happen at least, with my old boat which was a carbureted 5.7.
            Now that said, if you are getting pinging, check the base timing on the engine. The carb can be re-jetted richer.
            However, as us engineers say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it.
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
            X