Would You Use E10 Fuel In a Carbureted 96 Mercruiser 7.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would You Use E10 Fuel In a Carbureted 96 Mercruiser 7.4

Fuel prices in Vancouver BC are possibly the highest in North America, if not the whole western hemisphere, so naturally I've considered topping up my new/used 2855 with jerry cans from the local gas stations. Most of which use E10.

The fuel dock across the river from where the boat is docked uses non-ethanol fuel, so I'd be willing to bet there hasn't been any E10 in the tank for years. Should I be wary?

I used to have a 78 F250, and an 83 Thunderbird, both carbureted, and they didn't seem to care what fuel I gave them. Are Bayliners from the 90s ethanol friendly?
    "Binti B"
    1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge

Non-Ethanol is not an option for me and I have been using E10 approximately 15 years in two different boats that were/are carbureted without issues. If you have water in the tank the E10 will absorb it but may also loosen any varnish so expect to have to change fuel filters. You need to ask yourself if the cost difference is worth clogged fuel filter, carb gaskets going bad and fuel hoses failing. Then there is keeping the E10 treated to prevent phase separation. If I had the option I would use non-ethanol.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

See if you can fill your cans with E0 from a station listed here......……..

https://www.pure-gas.org/
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Another thing to consider...……......….In BC,Canada ANY Chevron 94 is pure gasoline.

copy/paste---

All Canada:
        Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91, Esso 91

Are also pure gasoline

Comment

I'm in the minority but I would rather save hundreds/thousands over time on fuel by stopping at an Arco. Fuel lines, filter, are all easy and cheap to replace, carbs are easy to clean (but should last a very long time without maintenance). I just throw in stabilizer when I winterize. Boat has been doing fine for the past 25 years with it. My only concern is the fuel tank but it seems to of lasted just as long as all the other boats of this era...

Comment

The Coast Guard station here uses Ethanol in all their go-fast boats. Of course they blow through 100's of gallons per week. I used it in my 1992 7.4 for all 11 years I owned her. I did or did not stabilize, depending on if I though about it. Spring to Fall, I burned a lot of gas, but Winter, not so much.
            Tally and Vicki
            "Wickus" Meridian 341
            MMSI 338014939

Comment

My previous boat had 2001 4.3’s. The Port of Everett and many more sold and continue to sell non ethanol gas at 87 octane. Those engines positively loved going to Canada! Whatever is pumped at VanIsle, Telegraph Harbour, Nanimo, Gibson’s, Egmont and False Creek worked better based on my throttle setting. Although I had changed all my hoses to be E10 tolerant, I still stayed away from it. There was an article in one of the boating magazines many years ago about letting a snake get into your tank. It had more to do with fuel dryers to absorb water, uh, alcohol, and the likelihood of water from the atmosphere continuing to be mixed into the fuel when the boat was not used for a while. The same disuse that probably caused the problem in the first place.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

I burn E10 most of the time, but like Mike pointed out you have to love doing routine maintenance or you may end up with some fuel related issues. Pump gas also allows me to run a higher octane than what we get at the marina.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Here's a great article on E10:
                  https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good read Norton 👍🏼

There are a few scenarios where E10 can cause trouble:
                  1) you have an old boat run on E0 for a long time and have to switch over, this can cause varnish and other junk to get cleaned from the sides of the tank and this can clog filters, plan on changing them a few times
                  2) if what you get is actually E15, it can cause problems, but you might not know unless you tested the fuel
                  3) if you have a leaky deck fill that allows water in the tank, it can cause big problems
                  4) storage for the long term can be a problem, but I used gas that was 2.5 years old once and did not have a problem

here's a sample of my gas (E10) and my 30+ year old Quadrajet during the last rebuild, very clean inside no corrosion.... Click image for larger version

Name:	gas from boat .jpg
Views:	203
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	557924Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Jet rebuild small.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	557925

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                  98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I need to buy 100 gallons of fuel this spring to fill up. Non-ethanol 92 octane is 4.25 per gallon. 87 octane E10 is 2.60 per gallon. That leaves me with 425-260=165 bucks to spend on a couple of feet of fuel hose, some extra fuel filters, and a carb kit for the weber. I am guessing I will burn 200 gallons or so this summer, so there is another 160 bucks. I have always run Non-ethanol 92 octane in my boats since E10 came about, but this is really tempting. I would think a stock 7.4 Bravo 3 would run on 87 octane..? My biggest fear is the life of the aluminum fuel tank. I suppose I would pump the fuel out at the end of the season and burn it in the 96 ford exploder. But then, should I store the boat with an empty tank or one full of E10 with stabil....or 425 bucks worth of Non-ethanol 92 octane? GAAAAHH!!!!
                    Lance O. Albany, OR
                    1996 Ciera 2855 7.4 4bbl Bravo 3
                    1978 21' Hawaiian 557 BBF Berkeley Jet (dingy)

Comment

Originally posted by LOVERMAN View Post
                      I need to buy 100 gallons of fuel this spring to fill up. Non-ethanol 92 octane is 4.25 per gallon. 87 octane E10 is 2.60 per gallon. That leaves me with 425-260=165 bucks to spend on a couple of feet of fuel hose, some extra fuel filters, and a carb kit for the weber. I am guessing I will burn 200 gallons or so this summer, so there is another 160 bucks. I have always run Non-ethanol 92 octane in my boats since E10 came about, but this is really tempting. I would think a stock 7.4 Bravo 3 would run on 87 octane..? My biggest fear is the life of the aluminum fuel tank. I suppose I would pump the fuel out at the end of the season and burn it in the 96 ford exploder. But then, should I store the boat with an empty tank or one full of E10 with stabil....or 425 bucks worth of Non-ethanol 92 octane? GAAAAHH!!!!
                      The compromise would be to get the 100 gallons in spring and fill it up the rest of the season with pure gasoline. The effective concentration of ethanol at the end of the season would be low.

You would get a one time savings and have minimum risk of ethanol/old aluminum interaction.

I will let the old timers that have dealt with really old aluminum tanks share how corroded they have been when they were repaired/replaced. I do not have any direct experience.

Comment

Never heard of fuel tank corrosion starting from the inside, these fuel tank failures seem to begin from the exterior, in particular where the rubber strips hold bilge water against the tank.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by LOVERMAN View Post
                          I would think a stock 7.4 Bravo 3 would run on 87 octane..? My biggest fear is the life of the aluminum fuel tank. I suppose I would pump the fuel out at the end of the season and burn it in the 96 ford exploder. But then, should I store the boat with an empty tank or one full of E10 with stabil....or 425 bucks worth of Non-ethanol 92 octane? GAAAAHH!!!!
                          They all run on 87 in my neck of the woods, at the marinas that’s pretty much the only choice we have.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                            Never heard of fuel tank corrosion starting from the inside, these fuel tank failures seem to begin from the exterior, in particular where the rubber strips hold bilge water against the tank.
                            Ethanol is corrosive to some metals.
                            Pumps/tanks/hoses in the E85 distribution/consumption network have different/coated materials to tolerate the stuff.

In fact, if you are buying a car and ordering it, pay for the E85/FlexFuel option (pretty low cost) so that you get the upgraded fuel components.
                            Even if you never run E85, you will always have the higher quality components that will live "forever" in your car.

E10 is not nearly as bad a E85, however.

My concern would be if the inside of the tank already had a problem area caused by whatever might be sitting on the bottom of the tank since 1996.
                            That zone would be more susceptible to accelerated deterioration.

Comment

Working...
                            X