X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerline2
    replied
    ..... https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder

as with so many other things in life, the actual facts that are written by the experts, are only facts until a new group of experts comes up with a different study that seems plausible, and then the "facts" change... for awhile.

I have tried the white, red and blue lighting at night, and I agree that red is not the ideal lighting for chart viewing or other tasks that it takes our fully focused vision, but as a soft ambient light so that one can move around and keep their "bearings" about them in the dark, a soft red glow gives less troublesome reflection off the windows... a soft white light is much better for focusing our vision, but it also causes a more bothersome glare when trying to see out the windows in the dark.....in my case, I have found the soft blue lights are better for ambient lighting when anchored, but not when underway in the dark..

everyones vision is a little different, and we can react differently to different colors when stress is a factor, so I dont believe one color or shade of light is ideal for everyones vision at any given time or place...

Leave a comment:

• seanV18
    replied
    It does seem that red is not the best color for true vision in the dark, but it does seem to be getting the job done. I'm not a big fan of cabin lights on when cruising in the dark. too much interior lighting seems to create a glare on the windows. I prefer to have my eyes adjusted for any lights or objects outside and around me. After two nights now running red I think she's a keeper.

LOVE the idea of the tilted out panel mod! Nice work Centerline!

Leave a comment:

• RobMick
    replied
    Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

Maybe.... There has been a move away from red in aviation. Here's a good article: https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder
    Good article....I don’t feel so bad now as I switched my gauges to blue LED’s....may not be soft white or red, but for the 2 nights that I boat after dark it will work.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post
    Red is good for night time👍🏼
    Maybe.... There has been a move away from red in aviation. Here's a good article: https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    replied
    to help the situation on my boat, I made a angled mounting base for the switch panel, which is a great benefit even in the daytime.... I do plan to install an "eyebrow" over the panel with a short piece of Low lumin, red strip lighting under the eyebrow so that only the panel is dimly lit at night... but just tilting it up made a world of difference, as some of the ambient light escaping from other devices does gives it a little illumination...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180820_142152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	558838Click image for larger version  Name:	20180811_085213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	558839

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Red is good for night time👍🏼

Leave a comment:

• seanV18
    replied
    Hooked up light as described and everything looked great. Only thing is the light I ordered was supposed to be white and it shines red. Looks really cool and does illuminate the switch panel. We took Hope out for a sunset cruise tonight and ran until dark. It still is a little hard to see (my eyes are not the best). I think if I swap it out for a white light I may have a winner. Wife really likes the look of the red and says its great. (her eyes are 10 years younger than mine!)

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by seanV18 View Post

My post light came in and I will be installing this weekend.
    Cool! Post a photo of the finished job.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Yes, negative buss is located at the bottom corner of the OEM fuse panel.

Leave a comment:

• seanV18
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome! Thanks. I assume there must be a ground bar in there somewhere to connect the black wire?

• builderdude
    replied
    That’d work fine IMO. You could connect to the same + terminal that all the gauge positives connect to.

Leave a comment:

• seanV18
    replied
    Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
    My post light came in and I will be installing this weekend. I'm wondering about my lighted toggle switch being on all of the time. I know it is a minimal power draw but still. What if I didn't use the toggle and just hooked the post light to the ignition? This way when the key is turned to the first click (that activates the gauges) the post light also turns on allowing me good visibility of the other panel switches. Any pros and cons to this method? Also any suggestions on how and where I might tie into the ignition wiring? The post light has two wires +/- .

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by CBAB View Post
    Many of the Bayliners used Carling V series switches. Carling also makes direct replacements that are LED lighted and the rockers can be purchased with common or custom labels. For the lighted rocker switches you would have to daisy chain a ground wire.
    Many late 90s Bayliners used Carling look alike switches with metric body dimensions. As a result a standard Carling type switch will not fit the panel without having to enlarge the rectangular hole.

Leave a comment:

• CBAB
    replied
    Many of the Bayliners used Carling V series switches. Carling also makes direct replacements that are LED lighted and the rockers can be purchased with common or custom labels. For the lighted rocker switches you would have to daisy chain a ground wire.

Leave a comment:

• C-ya
    commented on 's reply
    My boat has one like those but with an incandescent bulb. I may upgrade it to one of those LED ones.
Working...
X