No announcement yet.

Lighting for switch panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to help the situation on my boat, I made a angled mounting base for the switch panel, which is a great benefit even in the daytime.... I do plan to install an "eyebrow" over the panel with a short piece of Low lumin, red strip lighting under the eyebrow so that only the panel is dimly lit at night... but just tilting it up made a world of difference, as some of the ambient light escaping from other devices does gives it a little illumination...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180820_142152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	558838Click image for larger version  Name:	20180811_085213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	558839

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
      Red is good for night time👍🏼
      Maybe.... There has been a move away from red in aviation. Here's a good article: https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

Maybe.... There has been a move away from red in aviation. Here's a good article: https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder
        Good article....I don’t feel so bad now as I switched my gauges to blue LED’s....may not be soft white or red, but for the 2 nights that I boat after dark it will work.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
        1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

It does seem that red is not the best color for true vision in the dark, but it does seem to be getting the job done. I'm not a big fan of cabin lights on when cruising in the dark. too much interior lighting seems to create a glare on the windows. I prefer to have my eyes adjusted for any lights or objects outside and around me. After two nights now running red I think she's a keeper.

LOVE the idea of the tilted out panel mod! Nice work Centerline!
          Santa Cruz CA
          1981 3270
          1991 2556

Comment

..... https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ntific-blunder

as with so many other things in life, the actual facts that are written by the experts, are only facts until a new group of experts comes up with a different study that seems plausible, and then the "facts" change... for awhile.

I have tried the white, red and blue lighting at night, and I agree that red is not the ideal lighting for chart viewing or other tasks that it takes our fully focused vision, but as a soft ambient light so that one can move around and keep their "bearings" about them in the dark, a soft red glow gives less troublesome reflection off the windows... a soft white light is much better for focusing our vision, but it also causes a more bothersome glare when trying to see out the windows in the dark.....in my case, I have found the soft blue lights are better for ambient lighting when anchored, but not when underway in the dark..

everyones vision is a little different, and we can react differently to different colors when stress is a factor, so I dont believe one color or shade of light is ideal for everyones vision at any given time or place...

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Working...
            X