Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Question, But How Does The Anchor Mechanism Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Question, But How Does The Anchor Mechanism Work?

Buying a 96 2855, and although I've been taught the basic theories of anchoring a boat, I don't actually know how to raise and lower it on a cabin cruiser like this. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

My 2855 did not have a mechanical system to raise or lower the anchor. I have installed a windless that is operated by a switch at the helm and a foot pedal on deck.

Comment

Yeah I don't think mine is electric, but how is it normally operated? Thanks!

Comment

First, do you have a winch aka windless? If not, your anchor is probably stored on the anchor pulpit. When you have that established, look over this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc96Kgbv5w0
        Search YouTube for other videos and you’ll find lots of basic to crazy technical anchoring. You will probably see at least one video that shows a bridle. There are excellent reasons for using one, you get a lower angle for the anchor line, it acts as a shock absorber and it takes any strain off of the anchor pulpit.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Not sure if anybody mentioned this, but rig your anchor with a trip.....so it turns over, when caught, saves lots of problems trying to get unstuck from the rocks, etc.

Comment

If you do not have a mechanical retrieval system the basics are the same as in the above video. The exception is that your mate will haul the anchor rope in by hand and will let the rope out by hand as well. The driving to the anchor for retrieval and backing down for setting is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidward View Post
              Buying a 96 2855, and although I've been taught the basic theories of anchoring a boat, I don't actually know how to raise and lower it on a cabin cruiser like this. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.
              I think we need to see a photo of what you have.... there are different styles of anchor windlasses, most modern ones are electric with a gypsy, and some are fitted with a capstan drum, but there are still manual ones being made.... and it may not even be a windlass that you are talking about....

NU LIBERTE'
              Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
              5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
              N2K equipped throughout..
              2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
              2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
              '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
              Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

So I'm studying pictures of the boat (I don't have it yet), and the anchor chain winds around a bow cleat before disappearing into a black puck-like fitting on the deck.

Comment

Comment

It doesn't appear that you have any mechanical anchor
                    retrieval system. That black thing is just a hole with a
                    hinged top. You will have to drop and pull anchor by
                    hand. I keep a pair of leather gloves available for this
                    job. It's not too hard, unless you're 65 years old like
                    I am. That's why I bought a windlass. It's not electric
                    but it makes all the difference to my physical abilities.
                    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
                    7.4 Mercruiser
                    Still learning about other systems
                    and specs.

Comment

Your anchor rode falls through that hole into a compartment in the very forward end of the boat - in nautical terms "the pointy end". Crawl up in there and there will be a removable cover at the front end of the cushions. Train your wife to pull it. You'll thank me for that advice.
                      R.J.(Bob) Evans
                      Buchanan, SK
                      Cierra 2755
                      Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                      Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

all that is shown in the photo is a chain retainer/tensioner, and a deck pipe for the chain/rode to pass thru the deck to the rode locker..... the ground tackle has to be manually handed for deployment and retrieval....
                        the chain retainer is used only for keeping the anchor snubbed when stowed on the roller, although when the chain is wrapped around a cleat like is shown (NOT a nautical solution, but an effective one), the tensioner would hold it while the anchor is deployed, as the cleat will take the strain..... but if I were to make a habit of wrapping a chain around a cleat, I would remove the cleat and install a good sized stainless steel plate under it as a deck protector, AND make absolutely certain the cleat has an adequate backing plate below the deck....
                        Last edited by Centerline2; 01-16-2020, 09:07 PM.

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                        N2K equipped throughout..
                        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Yep, you'll be using the good ole hand deployment and retrieval methods.

Warning:
                          Years ago one of our member's anchor had not been secured upon retrieval.
                          The anchor chain came loose and the anchor self deployed while he was under way.
                          I don't recall the specifics. I'm thinking that he was lucky and only suffered some prop damage!

Make dang sure that you have a secure means of locking the anchor once it's up and into the pulpit.
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                          X