Finally looked at a 32xx today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally looked at a 32xx today

Well I finally got on board two different 32xx boats today. One is powered by the little 4 cylinder Volvo’s and the other repowered with yanmar a few years ago, significant price difference to say the least lol. Confirmed I can’t stand up in the cabin at my size(6’7”). Was kinda able to stand at the lower helm if needed. Can stand in the galley but not the whole galley. Didn’t even try the head on either. V berth is really short, so it would have to be aft cabin for me.. which I could lay down in slightly diagonal. Of course I could stand up in the aft cabin with the overhead slide open no problem. So I guess the answer to my question is, I sorta fit.

They had a 34’ trophy I looked at too. I actually like the layout of it better. I could stand in the entire galley! The rest of the cabin seemed maybe an inch taller, still not able to stand up. Only issue is that the trophy is a sport fisher with a hull built for speed, and I don’t want to go fast. I don’t know if it had twin 350’s or 454’s as I didn’t look closely at the time, but it looked like Volvo 350’s. At least it was an inboard boat. Had a nice cockpit for fishing, something I don’t do. With that hull I’m not sure how well behaved it is at hull speeds. One thing I like about the 32xx is it fast trawler hull.

Hmmm

6’7” might be difficult to accommodate. It’s going to take some looking to find a boat with that kind of headroom.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Yes I know I’ll never find a boat I can fully stand up on, unless I start looking at 50+ feet! I’ve read there are some sailboats that might work, but I’m not interested in blow boats.. not yet anyway lol

Comment

So if I know I can’t stand up in the cabin of most boats, what am I looking for? Well I’d like to not feel like a bull in a china shop. If I have areas I can retreat to to stretch out then that’s an improvement. One issue with the two 32xx’s I saw today was the door to the V berth was too narrow for my shoulders, I had to pass sideways. No huge deal since I can’t sleep up there anyway. But stuff like that makes me feel cramped. Being able to stand at the helm is a big thing for me. On some of my boats I’ve had to stand on the step in a companion way and steer the boat lol.

Comment

Have you looked at a 38xx? Headroom in the salon and galley won’t be a problem. The guest stateroom would probably work better as your master, and it has two heads and a private shower/tub. I like the choice of cruising at 8-10kn or 15. IMO, you want the Hino powered version. Mine are simple, naturally aspirated engines and easy to maintain. Then again, I’m kinda biased.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
            Have you looked at a 38xx? Headroom in the salon and galley won’t be a problem. The guest stateroom would probably work better as your master, and it has two heads and a private shower/tub. I like the choice of cruising at 8-10kn or 15. IMO, you want the Hino powered version. Mine are simple, naturally aspirated engines and easy to maintain. Then again, I’m kinda biased.
            Well I’m not too keen on paying moorage for a boat that large. I had a 40’ wood boat once and moorage was a killer. I’d probably have to stay at dagmars all year round with a 38xx. And in my experience with them it would be difficult to find a spot on the dock in the summer. Maybe I need to to find one to look at, I know there’s several at dagmars now, maybe a couple are for sale.

Comment

• Pcpete
              Pcpete commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m at Dagmars and have only had a couple of times when getting on a river dock was an issue. There’s one that looks okay, but it sat for eight years. The guy who bought it and has been doing what it takes to get it right seems to be knowledgeable and is truly putting the effort into making the boat turn key. It’s got the 175hp Hinos and I’d have the Bayliner Guru, Earl, bless the engines if I were looking at it. I’d be happy to walk you through mine, but give me a few weeks. Partly because we are leaving for two weeks and when I get back I need to resume my winter projects.

I was just there yesterday paying my bill and checking on my 2556. My remote thermometer says the engine area got down to 28 degrees in the last 48 hrs, so I had to step up from my usual light bulb for heat to an actual heater. Normally I don’t have to do that this early in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by ashedd View Post
              I was just there yesterday paying my bill and checking on my 2556. My remote thermometer says the engine area got down to 28 degrees in the last 48 hrs, so I had to step up from my usual light bulb for heat to an actual heater. Normally I don’t have to do that this early in the year.
              Yikes! Ignition protected heating devices only in the engine bay of your gasoline powered vessel.
              😳
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Covering the vents will make a big difference. For my ER I use two of those round low temp heaters with slow fans that are made to be there. I keep a thermometer in there that has the highest and lowest temperature display. In the last three years 33 is the lowest I’ve seen.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I just measured the solon ceiling height in my 38 and came up with 6’2”.
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                    I just measured the solon ceiling height in my 38 and came up with 6’2”.
                    😳

Comment

I understand that the 3388 Bayliners have more headroom than the 32s. You may want to check those out.

Jeff W has a real nice one for sale in the classifieds. It's in California, but may be worth bringing up to WA.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by ashedd

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Yikes! Ignition protected heating devices only in the engine bay of your gasoline powered vessel.
                        😳
                        Agreed, you risk your boat and those around you. Moreover, you risk being sued if your boat catches fire and damages boats around it.

A bulb can break, exposing electrical contacts to bilge vapors. A non-ignition protected heater can create sparks every time it switches on and off. The way to keep a boat a Dagmar's in the winter is to winterize the engine and potable water systems or use ignition protected heaters meant for this purpose. The downside of using a heater is power failure.
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Took another look at a 3460 today, took my tape measure with me. Main cabin and head 75”, galley down 98”, mid cabin ceiling 78”, mid cabin berth 79”(my height), fwd V berth 81” with 74” ceiling. But one other measurement, that I didn’t take actually, was the height of the fly bridge floor above the aft deck(not proper technical terms I know). This would be the height of any cover that was put over the aft deck... anyway, it was so high I couldn’t reach it while standing at the door to the cabin. So it was very high. I didn’t have to duck to enter the cabin either. On the 32xx’s that little roof above the door hits me about neck level.

I think this boat has twin 350’s, so I’d hate to imagine the fuel consumption.

Looked at two 3258’s. Although they were both newer and in good shape, one looked like an apartment inside, the berths were short. And they both had twin outdrives

Comment

Working...
                          X