Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Bayliner 2651

Hello all!!
    Just new to this site and looking for some help.
    About to make an offer on a 1990 2651 but need to know if it's possible to install an electric winless.
    And how hard would it be in install a hot water heater that was electric and heated from motor?
    I really like this boat as it has been very well cared for but I don't want the hassle and disappointment if it can't be made to suit our needs......
    Thanks for any help out there!!

I dont have any experience on a 2651, but my guess would be that the electric windlass shouldn't be a problem, as you already have a place to store you anchor chain and all you are doing is changing what is already there to electric instead of manual. Do you have a manual windlass or a anchor hatch currently?

I imagine the cabling and the switch shouldn't present too many issues.

Comment

There is no hatch, just a hole for the rode to come and go.......the locker can be accessed from inside though

Comment

Originally posted by Bern74 View Post
        About to make an offer on a 1990 2651 but need to know if it's possible to install an electric windlass.
        And how hard would it be in install a hot water heater that was electric and heated from Engine?

As for the Windlass, you would first need to know if:
        ..... the rode locker is large and/or deep enough for the rode to gravity fall and and pile up correctly.
        ..... the Windlass can be mounted far enough AFT to accommodate the anchor shank and chain swivel length once the anchor is up and at rest within the bow pulpit.
        .... the rode drop zone will be into the AFT most 1/3 of the rode locker.

As for a 2-heat-source Water Heater, it would require:
        ..... on board Shore Power for the electric element side of it.
        ..... properly connected Water Heater "heat exchanger" hose connecting points to the engine's cooling system.

Supply = port upstream of engine's thermostat location.
        Return = port in the suction side of the engine's coolant circulating pump.

If the engine is Raw Water cooled, the Water Heater "heat exchanger" now becomes part of your winterizing process.
        If the engine is equipped with a Closed Cooling System, there would be no worries re; the water heater heat exchanger.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If humour model is like the attachment, it should be possible to add a winch. It would probably have to be a horizontal model (motor above deck) due to space limitations in the rode locker. And if there is space in the engine compartment for the HWH then yes it can be done.

1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
          "Sea Flights"
          5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
          A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
          M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
          MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
          Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

In my opinion, it is a misnomer to think that a Vertical Windlass below-deck-motor will take up too much space and hinder the rode locker.
            If that motor hinders the rode locker space, you have other problems... such as a locker that is not deep enough to begin with!

The rode needs gravity in order to fall/drop correctly.
            The fall/drop is effectively increased with depth.
            Depth creates more space above the rode pile, therefor giving us more space for a below-deck-motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass types and install.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	537534
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...