Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Inside Helm in 1998 2858 - scratching my head on this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Inside Helm in 1998 2858 - scratching my head on this...

I am looking at a super mint 1998 2858 with only 177 hours and a recently redone interior. The boat I saw a real gem, however, it does not have an interior helm. Every other one I have looked at has them as does the brochure. Does anyone know if Bayliner ever made this model with no interior helm or not? I am in SW Florida and not having one would not be a deal breaker, however, this seems like it would have been a pretty serious modification if it was actually removed and I need to assess any risks involved with this and if this might affect the value of the vessel. Thanks for your input!

I have a 3888 and the inside helm station has been permanently removed in favor of more usable living space. The job was done professionally and I have had no issues. In fact I like the extra space and to be honest the view ahead with the high bows on the 3888 was limited anyway. And believe me it did not lower the value of the boat.
    P/C Bob Hicks JN
    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

If I were in the market for the 2858 I would prefer one without the inside helm for the reasons Bob stated, especially if the bridge helm had great canvas and isenglass. I doubt I would ever operate from inside. Personal preference I imagine.
      Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
      1989 2855
      Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

I am in the Pacific Northwest. My boat is twin engine with dual stations.
        I can recall only a few times that I ever piloted from the lower station .

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I had a 2858 for 7 years, never used the lower helm.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I used the lower helm a lot on the 2556, especially when it was wet, and the gps was at the lower. No wipers on the flybridge. When it was nice, always on top.
            Tally and Vicki
            "Wickus" Meridian 341
            MMSI 338014939

Comment

I have had 2 2858/ 288's I never used the lower station and regret that Bayliner spends the money to install the lower station and that we lose the usable space. I offer one caution: when I was looking for my current 288 (2858) I found one in beautiful condition with a newly done interior without a lower station. As it turned out the boat was a hurricane victim (super storm Sandy in NJ) and the owner bought the boat back from insurance and did not want to spend the extra money to re-install the water damaged lower station. Doesn't mean that the one you are looking at is this same scenario-you can confirm that easily with the proper survey. Anyway, if all works out, consider yourself lucky to get one without the lower station.

Comment

I run from the lower helm 99% of the time. Mostly due to the upper flybridge helm area being extremely small. The 28’s have much more space up top and having extra room inside would be nice IMO.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I know for a fact that the 2556 and the 28 FB models was able to be ordered without a lower helm.... the desire to have one depends on where you are and when you do your boating....

I have a strong desire for the lower helm because we boat in all weather conditions, winter and summer.... if I only had 1 helm, I would want the one inside (in which case there would be no need for a flybridge), as its a tough ride on the FB thru pelting rain and hail during a winter storm.... and there have been times when the sun was so intense, I was forced into the lower helm to keep from getting sun baked/burnt

I use the lower helm in cooler weather and the upper helm in warmer weather, so having both is a nice option...

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I avoid the sun at all costs, so lower for me. I’ve never even docked a boat from the upper helm, perhaps I’m missing something 🤔

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perspective is great from the upper when mooring up but for us small guys the upper is on the small side🥴
                  Working...
                  X