How do you strap down your generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you strap down your generators?

I just bought a small Champion 1700W stackable generator I wanted to put on my swim step and run 2 or so hours a day just to use the microwave, tv, and heat up the water for a shower and top off the batteries.

I want to put it on the factory swim step, but where and how do you strap it down, the only place I can see would be to strap it to the bar across the stern. Any advice?

When I had my 3055 I secured my Honda to the bar that ran across the stern of the boat. Had no issues doing it that way. Now, I did not leave it there when underway but anchored out it worked great there.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

+1 on Ricks way.
      1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
      "Sea Flights"
      5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
      A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
      M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
      MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
      Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

got it so "strap it down" is actually "strap it up" thanks guys!

Comment

• pgiconch
          pgiconch commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. "Hanging" would be an apt descriptive. I also put one of those foam kneeling pads under it to reduce vibration and prevent the feet from marking the gelcoat.

Strap it up indeed. I use the same tie-down strap when I store it.
        Simo
        2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

Comment

Originally posted by simo View Post
          Strap it up indeed. I use the same tie-down strap when I store it.
          interesting, first great tip on putting foam pad under it, I have some old yoga matt that I never use (surprise) that can go under it. Second, how do you guys transport it, looks like I have enough room to strap it down on the starboard engine room for transport, I kind of like having it stored with the rest of the fuel / engine area.

Comment

Here we go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2148205996.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	536767

Simo
            2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

Comment

I have a nice little igloo cooler from an old boat that my genny and the small 1 gal can of fuel fit into. If just the wife and I, it sits back in the aft deck area because we don't use the rear fold out seat with just two of us. If more folks onboard it is under that rear seat but still above deck. Even tho I have a fire extinguishing system in the engine room, I don't ever want it to go off! Therefore I don't introduce any non rated flammable items into the space.

I don't even pack the extra 1 gal can of gas in the cooler if we only need the genny for a night because the 1 gal genny tank lasts us quite a long time.

Please don't put it down in the ER lest you and your loved ones end up in another ER.

"Sea Flights"

Comment

Toy - my first choice for storage was going to be the storage compartment under the swing back seat of the L lounge. Unfortunately my genny was just a tad too high to go in there. Yours may fit quite well. Otherwise see my previous post.
                "Sea Flights"

Comment

I have created a ventilated enclosure for mine using a Rubbermaid tub and lid, but during the usually dry summer it simply sits on the floor behind the helm chair. I have room in my engine room for it, but not the interest in storing it there.
                  Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
                  1989 2855
                  Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Got it, I'll keep it under the back bench thanks for the info guys

Comment

Working...
                    X