Aftermarket Electric Anchor Winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Electric Anchor Winch

I have a 2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge. I want to install an electric anchor winch, but the problem is that the anchor hatch is located starboard of the bow. I do not see how an aftermarket winch could deposit all the anchor chain into the hatch, when it sits to the right?

Did anyone install a winch and make it work?

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
    I have a 2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge. I want to install an electric anchor winch, but the problem is that the anchor hatch is located starboard of the bow. I do not see how an aftermarket winch could deposit all the anchor chain into the hatch, when it sits to the right?

I think that you may want to install a Windlass...... not a Winch!
    A winch requires us to be right there at the device, whereas a Windlass (properly set up and installed) will offer hands-free anchor deployment and retrieval!

If you go with a Windlass, you will need an anchor rode locker that offers enough gravity fall/drop and enough volume to store your rode.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick,

Winch or Windlass... still does not solve my problem. I wish that I could say, "Thanks!" for your reply, but you have not offered me any solution to my problem. In fact, you only told me that I needed a gravity fall/drop, after I wrote that I do not have a gravity fall/drop. That is my problem, and I am seeking a solution, not somebody telling me that I need something that I already know that I need.

Comment

I’m sorry that you did not receive the answer that you had hoped for, and I am sorry that you were offered information regarding something that you already knew about!

Perhaps a more polite and appreciative attitude will gain a response that you are now hoping for!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

I've seen a late 80s 2858, with a windlass. The owner installed a large diameter pvc pipe between the underside of the deck and the top of a compartment under the V-berth. The windlass fed the rode down the pipe and it collected in the compartment below. The compartment had a heavy duty plastic grating that kept the rode off the bottom. A small bilge pump was installed in the low point of the compartment. Also, the PVC pipe was wrapped in nice wood that mimicked teak. The issue for me was was that the PVC pipe took a few inches away from the front of the v-berth cushion. Would something like this work on your boat?
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

When I buy another boat years down the road I will be installing one of these. http://lonestarmarine.com.au/ I dont know if there is a distributor near you but If you frequently anchor, this is the cats meow. I have a windlass on my 2859 and love it but it is still pretty hands on. A drum winch is easy peasy.
            "REEL WILD"
            2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
            Anchorage, Alaska
            If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

I just put one on my 85 2456 last winter, it sounds like your was set up the same, I got a lewmar700 and placed it further back toward the hatch, it a foam deck so you will need substantial reinforcement underneath, for me the rode wasn't going to land in the locker right so I just collect it all in a giant plastic box that sits on top of the mattress in the vee berth, in the unlikely event that anyone needs to sleep in there the plastic box will fit into the original locker. It took a bit of messing with to get it right, and I have 3 switches where I can control the windlass from. I'll try and dig out some pictures. Now its all sorted its totally awesome.

Comment

I had one exactly like described. I had to handle the chain (it was all chain) but it wasn't hard to hand ove hand the chain to the topside stowage. Not hands off but not doing the heavy lifting either.
                1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

A friendly FYI:

A Windlass deploys and retrieves the rode at the same speed no matter how much rode has been deployed.
                  A Windlass is not limited to a certain length of rode, given that the rode locker is large enough.
                  A Horizontal Windlass gypsy offers only 90* of rode contact.
                  A Vertical Windlass gypsy offers 180* or rode contact.
                  Depending on the gypsy, either style Windlass can be capable of using a combination of line and chain.

A winch drum will not deploy and retrieve at the same speed as the rode is deployed and retrieved.
                  This is due to the change in the effective drum diameter.
                  A winch is also limited to a certain length of rode.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Some boaters have a 2nd person in the fwd cabin with a boat hook To spread the line, provided you have access there.
                    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	530023Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	530024 Couple of pics of how mine is set up - I was going to extend a 3" tube all the way down into the locker beneath, but my easy and cheap plastic box solution won the day, I just drag it onto the mattress when I need it, stow it when I don't. The original hole through the deck for the anchor rode now houses a remote up/down switch for the windlass..
                      Attached Files

Comment

I owned a 2000 2858 for 7 years, same model as yours, just four years older, with a factory installed Lewmar windlass. Your starboard bow compartment might be for an anchor, but there are better uses for that. There is an anchor rode storage locker below deck, accessed from the forward berth. It's a nice upholstered (or mirrored) panel that just pulls off, and you'll have huge access to that rode locker. If there is not an overboard drain, you'll have to install one, very easy. Once inside the rode locker, you'll see where and how the windlass should be mounted. This is NOT usually a DIY project, unless you're very skilled at such things. I won't go into the install process here, very lengthy, and I'm sure there are videos on the subject. Finally, Rick (2850 Bounty) is not only extremely knowledgeable and helpful, but a very well respected member here, and a friend of mine. I realize you're new here and possibly frustrated by your new boat, but keep in mind, most everyone here will go out of their way to help other members, so please keep that in mind.
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

1988 2850 Ciera Command Bridge
                          Hello,
                          Looking for a used Windlass, can anyone recommend type and size, I am not familiar with them yet.
                          Does anyone know the difference between the numbers 2850 and 2858. I read that the Model Number is 2850, and the Manufacturer's Number is 2858.
                          It would be helpful to see a list of the different models in the 28' for 1988.
                          Hey, how do I create a new post? Sorry if I'm boating in. Joined today : )
                          Thank you,
                          Wencil

Comment

I'll assume the OP sold his Bayliner, bought a Searay, and lived happily ever after...
                            Jeff & Tara
                            (And Ginger too)
                            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                            "GetAway"
                            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                              ................ Finally, Rick (2850 Bounty) is not only extremely knowledgeable and helpful, but a very well respected member here, and a friend of mine.
                              Jeff, how much do I owe you for those kind words?

Seriously, thank you for the compliment. Much appreciated!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X