Getting on Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting on Plane

We are newbies. We have a 2000, 2855 Ciera Sunbridge with the 7.4 and the Bravo III. Their have been items to fix with a used 19 year old boat, but it has always run fine in the water until last weekend. Full of fuel, water, a big cooler, and potentially black water, and three adults, we could not get the boat on planes without two of the adults going down below and get into the forward birth for a few seconds. Once the boat was on plane they the folks down below could come back to the cockpit and we cruised along fine. This just started this weekend. I do not know the size of the props on the Bravo III. Any ideas?

Sounds like loss of power for some reason. Good Gas? Have you replaced the impeller? Any sign of overheating?
    Glen Sherwood
    1987 3270 twin 305’s
    Coupeville, WA

Comment

Is the boat stored in the water and is it salt or fresh water? You have quite a load described, and most all in the back half so your center of gravity is off. Are you starting with your trim tabs in the full bow down position? Then, is this your “normal load”? To test your props for proper pitch, you should load the boat the way you will run it most of the time. You will learn that too much weight in the stern will be problematic. In that normal load condition you should be able to reach a target rpm range of somewhere between 4400-4600 rpm, or it may be 4600-4800. You’ll need to check the specs for you engine. As you get close to the rpm range you may find yourself needing to trim the drive up a touch.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Your trim tabs didn’t help? Doesn’t seem like that much weight to have to do that maneuver. Bottom and out drive clean? Salt water or fresh? Fouling happens quick in some saltwater locations.
        1990 2755 - sold
        2005 275 current vessel

Comment

• builderdude
          builderdude commented
          Editing a comment
          was thinking the same, possible growth on the hull

As mentioned hull growth will cause drag and greatly impact performance. Also have you hit anything, damaged props can cause this as well. Lastly the engines health may have declined, one cylinder no firing or loss of compression (valves or rings).
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I agree with Mike and Rick.
          Hull growth will definitely prevent the boat from obtaining a good planing attitude.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks all,
            The boat is now on a lift and we are going back this weekend. We are taking a power washer to make sure the hull is clean and does not have any “hairs.” We can also double check the trim tabs, although we believe the engine was fully down and the trim tabs were fully up. Although our time in the boat has been very limited, we have not experienced the boat not being able to get on plane without anyone having to go towards the bow. Added info: the engine will not get above 3,800 rpm when it won’t plane. It will run forever at that rpm, but just have the bow up, ass down.

Comment

If the bottom is clean and the prop looks good and assuming there are no mechanical issues with the engine put the trim tabs and the outdrive in the full down position. Once it begins to plane (assuming it will) trim the drive up around 3 seconds then bring both tabs up around half way then adjust them to correct any list. Once list has been adjusted and the boat is on plane bump the drive trim up or down to find the sweet spot. Some re adjustment of the tabs will likely be needed again.
              I often hit 4000-4100 rpm during the initial jump up to plane and pull back to 3600-3800 during all trim adjustments.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Trim tabs should be all the way bow down until it “tips” over onto the plane then pull them bow up. Second, change the fuel filters. Third, check the centrifugal advance inside the distributor cap, it may be sticking. I’ve got no fourth.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No mechanical advance on a 2000 model year I hope. It will have TB ignition system, advance is dictated by the ignition module.

My old 2755 would not plane with only 2 on board if there was any “ hair” on the outdrive. That needed to be cleaned every other week by a diver when we had it in salt water. Same problem. Won’t come out of the water and wouldn’t run over about 3700 rpm. Clean the drive real good and the hull and use tabs properly and try it again.
                1990 2755 - sold
                2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Welcome Aboard !
                  Lack of power ( maybe ) or you don't have a problem just fat people, too many beer bottles, or water in your tanks.

Check off each items after checked in post #6 in the link below, if you get to the end of the list and all is well maybe you have no problem just too much weight on board.

lack of power list

Post back after going thru the list we can go from there !
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Rhammers View Post
                    We are newbies. We have a 2000, 2855 Ciera Sunbridge with the 7.4 and the Bravo III. Their have been items to fix with a used 19 year old boat, but it has always run fine in the water until last weekend. Full of fuel, water, a big cooler, and potentially black water, and three adults, we could not get the boat on planes without two of the adults going down below and get into the forward birth for a few seconds. Once the boat was on plane they the folks down below could come back to the cockpit and we cruised along fine. This just started this weekend. I do not know the size of the props on the Bravo III. Any ideas?
                    I had the same problem with my 1996 2855 454. No it probably isn't the props, not the engine..although I'm sure it is tired. The boat is under powered...so this is what I did to get it onto plane.....Trim down, engine outdrive down, two people downstairs up front, I would get it going as fast as it would go, then go into neutral very quickly......the nose will lower at that point, then I would power up again and it would plane. Of course I told the people what I was going to do before I did it...but this really only happened when I had 6 or more adults on board...not just 3. You must of had a big cooler!

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think you meant you pulled back on the throttle then re applied throttle. Yes?

Thanks all. The wife and I just got back out on the water today. We did not clean up any “hairs” on the bottom of the boat. We started out with the trim tabs fully down instead of up and the boat popped up on plane better than it ever has. The planing “issue” was not a problem at all, just me a crappy captain. Thanks again.

Now we just need to figure out where the drive oil is disappearing to. We can not detect any leaks anywhere, but this is the second time we had to fill it up again. Any thoughts on that? Should I start another post on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhammers View Post
                      Thanks all. The wife and I just got back out on the water today. We did not clean up any “hairs” on the bottom of the boat. We started out with the trim tabs fully down instead of up and the boat popped up on plane better than it ever has. The planing “issue” was not a problem at all, just me a crappy captain. Thanks again.

Now we just need to figure out where the drive oil is disappearing to. We can not detect any leaks anywhere, but this is the second time we had to fill it up again. Any thoughts on that? Should I start another post on that one?
                      Has it been recently serviced? If not the loss of drive lube is likely passing through a seal at the input shaft, prop shaft or lower unit seal. You’ll want to look into this because if it is in fact leaking there’s a good possibility of it pulling in some water, that’s not good for the internals.
                      glad your using the tabs, don’t forget the drive trim too.
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                      Misc. projects thread
                      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                      X