DIY Waste tank pump out system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Waste tank pump out system

I am wondering if anyone has built or seem a home made Waste or Black water pump out system?

Carlo

If you are talking about pumping into the waters you need to be at-least 3 miles offshore in the ocean, I believe.
    Otherwise you need a pump out port connected to the bottom of your tank or a pipe that goes to near the bottom of the tank and a deck pump-out port.
    There is a waste fitting to mount on the deck.
    There is a US regulation for this!
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo View Post
      I am wondering if anyone has built or seem a home made Waste or Black water pump out system?

Carlo
      Over the years, I've had this conversation several times. It seems like the most common idea is similar to this below.
      I have no idea as to whether it would work or not!

If this idea did work, you would suck the holding tank out, disconnect the lines, and then hand cart the container over to your waste line clean-out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pump out system for home use.png Views:	5 Size:	198.4 KB ID:	502391

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I built one that works well on our 2755. It would be inadequate for a larger vessel but it works for us. It consists of a shop vac that fits snugly in the top of a 5 gallon plastic pail. I cut a large hole in the bottom of the shop vac pail so it drains into the 5 gallon pail. The shop vac hose happened to be a tight fit in my waste pumpout fitting so the hole in the shop vac was pretty well all I had to do. I left the handle on the 5 gallon pail so its easy to carry the pail of "stuff" to a shoreside toilet for disposal.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

How about having a connection to your macerator and using it to pump into one of those portable gas tanks on wheels? If you are looking to have a hose that’s connected to the sewer system, the vacuum pump will be the key. A very strong shop vac may do the job depending on the required lift. How big are the tides in Nova Scotia? If you use the difference between the dock. Here’s one that has a water life spec of 82”. http://www.vacmaster.com/vfb511b-020...-beast-series/
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Carlo- Not sure what you are trying to accomplish- On a previous boat the macerator pump was bad so I removed it and added a reducer to 3/4" - then a ball valve and a male garden hose fitting on the outlet of the ball valve. I then had a short section of 3/4" garden hose and would connect to a 120vac utility pump like this - https://www.grainger.com/product/33R...g!82166772357!

You can add as much garden hose to the outlet of the pump and pump wherever you can legally discharge waste - toilet, septic tank, etc. This worked very well as it allowed me to flush the holding tank with fresh water and continue to pump it out. As Bounty stated its not a job you do while eating lunch
            Gibraltar, Mi.
            1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
            34' Tollycraft- sold
            88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
            14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Sunbird, why, when I read you post, did I think of the Red Green show and Rothschild Sewer Sucking Services. All up for the Mans Prayer.
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

I have built a self discharge system for my boat, so that I can dump into any RV dump station, of which I have one at home that i use quite often.... (trailered boat)

the "system" is nothing more than the typical macerator set up that is found on many boats, but I built a stainless steel thru-hull discharge fitting with internal threads in it outside the hull.... this way I can screw a 1" pipe nipple into it with a hose attached, and then open the valves inside the boat and turn on the macerator pump to discharge....

It surprises me that someone hasnt marketed this type of thru-hull fitting for this purpose (basically its just a 1" NPT bulkhead fitting) as it would cut down on the number of trailer boats that illegally discharge so they arent setting on the trailer with a full waste tank..

i would think that if one was boating in an area for and extended length of time, where there were no pump out stations, this same method could be used to pump into an external waste holding tank, or bucket (with lid) for later disposal....

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                N2K equipped throughout..
                2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Not that difficult to do. Cut the hose that normally goes to the pump out. Insert a y valve like this. https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-45490-.../dp/B076GWR15S On the remaining end install a 1 1/2" hose and route it to a macerator, from the macerator to your exit port. Select the appropriate position for normal pump out or choose the macerator position, start the macerator and dump to whatever you had planned.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and great ideas. I am buying a boat that has spent it's life on the Great Lakes. Pumping the poop tank into the water is not allow anywhere, so you have to go to a marina to get it pumped out unless you have an alternate pumping system at home. This boat has no Y valve or macerator. I have not seen the boat yet to see if it is practical to install a Y valve and a macerator pump. I was thinking of building a home dock pump out as we have a large dock where we keep our boat. I also have access to our septic tank to empty a portable pumping unit. Our tides here are about 7 feet, however I have a floating dock where the boat rests. I have a ramp from the floating dock to the shore that I could roll a portable unit or tank full of S__t to the septic tank to dump it.
                    Keep the suggestions coming.

Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
                      I have built a self discharge system for my boat, so that I can dump into any RV dump station, of which I have one at home that i use quite often.... (trailered boat)

the "system" is nothing more than the typical macerator set up that is found on many boats, but I built a stainless steel thru-hull discharge fitting with internal threads in it outside the hull.... this way I can screw a 1" pipe nipple into it with a hose attached, and then open the valves inside the boat and turn on the macerator pump to discharge....

It surprises me that someone hasnt marketed this type of thru-hull fitting for this purpose (basically its just a 1" NPT bulkhead fitting) as it would cut down on the number of trailer boats that illegally discharge so they arent setting on the trailer with a full waste tank..

i would think that if one was boating in an area for and extended length of time, where there were no pump out stations, this same method could be used to pump into an external waste holding tank, or bucket (with lid) for later disposal....
                      Centerline
                      Did you just cut threads on the inside of SS thru-hull, or did you make the whole thing from scratch?
                      Don
                      1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                      1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                      1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                      10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                      1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                      "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• Lineman1
                        Lineman1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Please do tell that's exactly what I want to do.

So, a good shop vac method would have provide the lift and suction you need to pump out at low tide would be the seven feet of tide change, plus the height of the solid dock, plus any rise to an access point to your septic system.
                      I asked about your tides because our tides in the Pacific Northwest can be over twelve feet.
                      P/C Pete
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Don77 View Post

Centerline
                        Did you just cut threads on the inside of SS thru-hull, or did you make the whole thing from scratch?
                        Don
                        I made it from scratch, but afterward i thought it would have been quicker and cheaper to use a 1.25 thru hull fitting and cut threads inside of it to accept a 1"NPT fitting... https://www.cpperformance.com/p-1380...e-fitting.aspx

using a bulkhead fitting that has internal threads to accept a 1" pipe would work well, but there are many ways to build one that is less expensive and less bulky than a bronze seacock...

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                        N2K equipped throughout..
                        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I used a manual pump contraption back when I kept my boat at a RV storage yard that had a RV Dump Station. It works pretty good.

Whale BP0535 Mark V Manual Sanitation Pump, 1 ½-Inch Hose Connections, Maximum of 17.5 GPM (70 Strokes Per Minute)

Click image for larger version  Name:	pump.JPG Views:	0 Size:	18.6 KB ID:	502770
                          It's all a dream
                          '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

I epoxied a male garden hose fitting into the through hull discharge. I used a simple garden hose to run from fitting to the washing machine drain pipe in my garage. I was terrified to say the least, when I had my daughter hit the macerator switches. It actually worked flawlessly. I did not replace this feature when I rebuilt my transom. I will remember to pump out before season end after that.
                            "REEL WILD"
                            2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                            Anchorage, Alaska
                            If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

• Lineman1
                              Lineman1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I like it! Did you leave the fitting as a permanent thing?
                          Working...
                          X