Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idiot newbie question: started boat forgetting to turn on the fuel valve...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot newbie question: started boat forgetting to turn on the fuel valve...

Hoping I haven’t royally screwed up the engine...but in my eagerness I started the boat up forgetting I’d shut the fuel valve off last time I left her a couple of weeks ago.

She happily started, and ran for a good minute or so before starting to chug and splutter - I immediately realized my error and dived over to the fuel shutoff valve but not before she’d conked out.

i let her sit a while with the valve open before attempting to start her up but now she won’t start, she turns over , just won’t start.

Is there a procedure I need to follow? I fee such an idiot.

thanks

We need a bit more information, What model boat, what engine, on board tank?
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

275 Diesel 2.8ltr

Comment

For “starters” http://download.brunswick-marine.com.../8m0133679.pdf
        Next, without reading the book, I doubt you hurt anything, you just ran it out of fuel. Look in the book to see if there is a priming operation, usually used after opening the fuel system, like during filter changes. If it was my Hino, I’d just tell you to open the fuel valves and spin the engine. In your case you may have to use an on engine primer pump, I don’t know.
        It’s good that you are being cautious, but no need to panic. You may want to make some “do not start” tags that attach to the ignition keys to warn you against starting the engine because the oil or coolant is being changed, through hulls are closed, any reason you don’t want the engine started. Then think about a checklist. That will be especially helpful when shutting down or leaving the boat. Leave it at the lower helm so that anyone coming aboard knows the configuration of the engine systems. Include things like checking Belt tensions and conditions, looking for stray fluids as well as fluid levels, raw water valves open or closed including wash down and head valves and a column for engine hours and date. It may sound a bit over the top, but I put a piece of tape over my ignition switch if the engine shouldn’t be started.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thank you so much. The checklist - yes! Very much needed, and certainly not over the top. Had already dug out an old laminater to make a permanent checklist to stick by the helm.

i like the idea of putting tags on the ignition keys though - as I never have forgotten to open the fuel valves before when I’m actually going out on the boat. On this occasion i had the engine bay open to check on a water pump and as the engine hadn’t been turned over in a while I thought I would run her for 10 mins to charge up the batteries!

i’ll go look for the priming unit. Sounds a likelt course of action.

thanks again

Comment

No idiot questions on this forum. Welcome aboard!
            CapMartin, Montr├®al
            "Belle de Dalhousie"
            1986 3270
            Volvo BB225B

Comment

Pull off your fuel filters and fill them. Attempt to start your engine. You may very well have to bleed your injectors. Likely will be a 2 person job.May need a person to crank while you crack open each injector fitting to bleed the air out of the system. Highly doubtful you did anything harmful except create a bit of extra work for yourself....and a learning experience.
              "REEL WILD"
              2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
              Anchorage, Alaska
              If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

• Pipmeister
                Pipmeister commented
                Editing a comment
                When you say fill the filter...do you mean literally pull it off and pour some diesel from a can/jug into the filter “cap”?

If your handy install a electric priming pump, with a bypass 2 valves to have normal flow but when required turn on the elect pump, needs to be in front of the filters. It is so set up in my boat and 2 of my trucks.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I wish I were that handy!

Comment

Thanks to everyone. Got her up an running - despite having no 2nd pair of hand to crank while I loosened the fuel injectors - needless to say I had a fair bit of sprayed diesel to clean up but all worth it. Missed a perfectly good day to go out on the water but the sense of achievement (to overturn such a bone head move) more than made up. Now, just need to fix the new water pump and see if I burnt out the hot water tank..... I may have to post on that topic too!

Comment

Originally posted by aknurse View Post
                    Pull off your fuel filters and fill them. Attempt to start your engine. You may very well have to bleed your injectors. Likely will be a 2 person job.May need a person to crank while you crack open each injector fitting to bleed the air out of the system. Highly doubtful you did anything harmful except create a bit of extra work for yourself....and a learning experience.
                    Yes when replacing fuel filters, ESPECIALLY with a diesel, they need to be filled with fuel prior to installation. Otherwise you just suck air into your fuel lines, Glad you got it figured out. First rule with diesels...never run them dry.
                    "REEL WILD"
                    2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                    Anchorage, Alaska
                    If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Working...
                    X