Fuel Flow Sensor - Interactio Optio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Flow Sensor - Interactio Optio

Looks interesting - wireless, thus quick & easy installation. Uses Bluetooth to communicate with your cell phone or tablet's app. Appears to do more than the FloScan instrument (that doesn't seem to be available anymore). Any installations out there? Experience?
    Mike O. 2000 Bayliner 2859
    https://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel

I ordered a set and had them installed installed over the winter. I am just waiting to waiting to splash the boat. Should have some live data in about a month.

Ron
    1989 3218
    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I suppose the sensor is only for Gasoline engines (1 per engine). The app seems to have a fuel type selection option but I don't see how a single sensor can be used on a common-rail diesel engine; How does it (does it?) sense the return fuel?
      Retired, computer expert / executive
      Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
      Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
      D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
      [email protected]
      [email protected]

Comment

I installed one on my boat a year ago, I have 102 gal. gas tank and usually refuel with about 30gal. remaining and its always within 1 or 2 gallons. I mostly troll at 2.5mph so I'm happy with that accuracy. The feature that tells you your most economical cruising speed hasn't really worked that well for me but thats not what i bought it for.

Comment

The Floscan folks went out of business. Probably because they charged $500 for a $100 device.
          Glen Sherwood
          1987 3270 twin 305’s
          Coupeville, WA

Comment

I called and talked to the CEO, man that developed this system , very helpful and know. This will work with gas or diesel and you use 2 sensors when you have a fuel system that has a return line. I think the cost is a little over $600 for the 2 sensors. There is no wires to hook up as the sensors are battery powered that last for a year. It sounded like you install the sensors in the fuel lines and then down load the app which is free. I plan on getting the 2 sensor set for my 383 strokes jet boat as soon as I get it out of storage.
            1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

Comment

Two sensors for diesel is right, but may not be sufficient!! First, the indicator (phone app) must know to take the difference between the two flows to figure out exact fuel consumption. Second, temperature of fuel going towards the engine is much different then the temperature of the fuel returning back (unused) from the engine; At higher temperature the density (volume) of the return flow is different than forward flow and this must be compensated for. See

https://www.maretron.com/products/ffm100.php
              [email protected]
              [email protected]

Comment

Have used mine for over 500 miles. Very accurate when
                refueling. That's just what I needed.
                1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
                7.4 Mercruiser
                Still learning about other systems
                and specs.

Comment

For gasoline engines you can also use Garmin GFS10. This device is useful especially if you have NMEA2000 network on your bout. Then, you don't need an phone app, fuel consuption data will be on ypur N2K network and can be displayed on a screen, such as any N2K capable Garmin chartplotter. I used that on my previous (gasoline) engine and it never failed.

https://www.maretron.com/products/ffm100.php
                  [email protected]
                  [email protected]

Comment

I too just added the Garmin GFS10. Now that it works I am pleased with the tank level and GPH flow rate (in tenths) displayed on both head units.

For the install it turned into a 3 week wiring nightmare as they “assumed” I already had a NMEA hub and didn’t sell me the right setup. So another purchase for a longer cable as it comes with a 5 footer...stupid. Then another terminator, and finally a starter kit to redo everything already in place. I now have 4-5 T adapters with drops to each device, that had to be in the right order or things didn’t work. Heidi at Garmin was fantastic, she calmed me down and got me the correct setup in the end and so far things are good.

Floscan has been my absolute favorite in the past, too bad they went under because it worked so well and with the NMEA adapter it showed real time MPG on my GPS. You can find them still on eBay occasionally.

Since my bluetooth radio constantly loses loses contact with my iPhone while moving around the boat I avoided the Optio choice. I just want to see the info at the helm without having to keep my phone plugged in (thanks Apple for the crap battery).
                    -shoe

On our 25th boat and 14th Camaro...I need a break (or an intervention)!

Comment

Just ordered up the Garmin GFS 10 from out local Marine Electronics dealer - Rodgers Marine. Since I already have a Garmin chartploter, display, and NEMA 2000 backbone, it was the obvious choice (and most cost effective). .Should have in installed in time for out major summer cruise The video on the Garmin site was most helpful.

Comment

• Shoe
                        Shoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It only comes with about a 5’ NMEA cable so if your backbone isn’t close you’ll need a backbone extension cable. Of course, how many people really have their hub in the engine compartment...stupid Garmin. Also, even though my 741xs has a NMEA 2000 port, the GFS10 will not plug directly into that port, another stupid thing. It must feed from the powered hub and I found the drops had to be each on their own T adapter. I went through hours of configuration changes before I got it to read everything correctly. But in fairness I have 2 stations with radar and the GFS and transducer so maybe that complicated the data stream.

I'm representing company Technoton - the manufacturer of fuel monitoring equipment. We are located in Europe, Belarus. Maybe our DFM differential fuel flow meters will be interesting for you to use on your boats. https://www.jv-technoton.com/products/dfm-d/
                      It's the ready solution to control fuel consumption of diesel engine. Fuel flow meter has two chambers - one for supply fuel line, other for return fuel line. NMEA, CAN, RS 232, RS 485 interfaces and NMEA 2000, SAE j1939, Modbus, DFM COM protocols are available for our devices and fuel measurement as digital signal goes directly from the devices to GPS monitoring system (or other onboard system with NMEA, CAN, RS 232, RS 485 interfaces) that makes possible to control fuel consumption and to have a statistics of fuel usage remotely. You don't need several devices to measure fuel consumption of one engine as Maretron or Interactio demands. One Technoton differential fuel flow meter makes it by itself. And our solution is much cheaper.

If you are interested please contact me by
                      email: [email protected]
                      mobile phone, whats app +375 29 836 94 54

Comment

• Pipmeister
                        Pipmeister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What’s the price?

The nice thing about the Garmin units is they are only about 150 on amazon and they do fuel flow and read from your sending unit. Hard to beat

Comment

Yes, Garmin fuel sensor has attractive price, but the main disadvantage is that it cannot work with diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by ronbo404 View Post
                          I ordered a set and had them installed installed over the winter. I am just waiting to waiting to splash the boat. Should have some live data in about a month.

Ron
                          Any updates on this?

Comment

Working...
                          X