242 Bow thruster needed ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

242 Bow thruster needed ?

Question. I’m really considering putting in a bow thruster in my 242. I find it stressful and difficult to dock with wind. With fishing friends not a big deal with spare hands and someone to step off and grab a rope. Now with my wife and 2 small kids it can get more difficult as I have no help docking. I find myself not going out with the family when the wind is present which is not what I want. So question. Will a thruster help me dock single handed on this smaller boat ? Am I thinking it will help more than it does ? Am I lazy and just trying to cover up a minor problem that could be solved with more practice ? For a thruster kit and my fibreglasser I’m close to $3500.

So do it or save the money ?

Thanks
    Dave
    Nanaimo, BC

2005 242
    5.7/Bravo II

One of the "flaws" in the Ciera Cruiser line of boats is they are light in the bow. The wind really played with my 3055 but because I had twin engines I could compensate for the wind when needed. I do not think it would be overkill if you wanted to add a bow thruster to your 242. It would be a nice addition and the peace of mind you get from it makes it worth the cost IMO.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

Hi Ben, I had the same thing with my 265 backing in to a pontoon berth. To have a tunnel thruster here in UK was £5600, in the end I opted for a sideshift thruster, mounts on the bow. Installed it myself in a day

Comment

Thanks RG and Nige.

So Nige are you happy with the results ? Makes backing in less challenging when fighting wind ? I also back in and the front goes where ever the wind is blowing as you know.
        Dave
        Nanaimo, BC

2005 242
        5.7/Bravo II

Comment

I feel your pain. I suspect my 265 has similar handling characteristics across the board and low speed docking maneuvers, particularly with a beam wind, can be outright white knuckle experiences. If you've ever been in a anchorage with lots of other boats and the wind is swirling, I've always noticed my boat seems to be moving more, and quicker than others. We get all that interior room at the sacrifice of a flat bottom. I've thought lots about a thruster, but I don't think $3500 is gonna do the job, unless you have some real skill on glass work. I'm not far away...if you get this done for $3500 and your happy, I'd like to talk more!
          Mike & Dixi
          2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
          Closed Cooling

Comment

These bolt ons work very well. There is a 35' Sundancer in my club that has one and it works great. The Captain docks single handedly.
            Ted G
            The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
            Designers Edition
            Mercury 350 Mag
            290 Volvo DP

Comment

Originally posted by nwboater62 View Post
              These bolt ons work very well. There is a 35' Sundancer in my club that has one and it works great. The Captain docks single handedly.
              Ted - that's a nice looking unit - cleaner than others Ive seen. Any idea what brand?
              Mike & Dixi
              2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
              Closed Cooling

Comment

Originally posted by Patrevan View Post

Ted - that's a nice looking unit - cleaner than others Ive seen. Any idea what brand?
                side power

https://side-power.com/kategori/1831/ex-serien/
                1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                  Good grief! That's over 5 large just for the unit! Guess I'll continue using lots of fenders LOL.
                  Mike & Dixi
                  2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                  Closed Cooling

Comment

Dave, I was everything you said in your opening post. I too found myself not going out on otherwise nice days due to winds.

Expensive yes, but my thruster allows me to single handedly maneuver my 2855 easily. Tight spots are no longer an issue. I don't regret one penny.
                    Simo
                    2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

Comment

Good grief! That's over 5 large just for the unit! Guess I'll continue using lots of fenders LOL.
                      Yes but you’ll pay that or more to have a hole cut to install a tube for a traditional one including the thruster.
                      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Yea, but it's for a good cause(your boat). Some people spend that much on cigarettes every year. Us boaters have priority's, we spend it on our boats! I have never had a problem docking my boats, but if it makes your life easier than you have to do it. Heck I want to do it just because it would be a cool project.
                        Dave
                        2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                        2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                        2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                        http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Here's an interesting thruster for smaller boats.It's totally self enclosed with lithium battery, remote control, motors, and is portable so it can be removed too. No wiring or holes to drill through your hull either. Cost is also inexpensive at about $2000. I'm not recommending it and have never seen one but there is plenty of info and videos on the website about it here:

https://www.dockstarthrusters.com/
                          1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

We had a 245 and it was more than a challenge in the wind, the bow was so light the side wind would take command. The marina slip we had was mid pier and not a lot of room before the dead end the wind was blowing us towards most of the time. It was not a pretty sight on a windy day. We sold the boat and years later bought a 285, what a difference! The bow is much heavier and the boat runs true even in a neutral drift towards our moorage now. It may not be the cheapest option but maybe a larger boat would make life better is soo many ways.

Mike
                            2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
                            2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
                            2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                            Redmond, Washington
                            The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

Thanks for all the replies - so I’m not alone. I have ordered a Lewmar thruster kit. I don’t like the idea of big holes cut in the boat but I like the idea of a thruster that is out of site and mind when the boat is in the water and you can’t really see it as opposed to the external mounted ones.

Unfortunately a bigger boat is not in the cards at this point as I have to shoe horn this one beside my house for the winter months. I like to have it at home to work on etc etc plus I’m getting this one dialed in perfectly to my needs and like it a lot !

Thanks again
                              Dave
                              Nanaimo, BC

2005 242
                              5.7/Bravo II

Comment

Working...
                              X