Rev counter on 265 SB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rev counter on 265 SB

Ok guy this is driving me nuts, my rev counter on starting is good but within 30 seconds goes right of off the scale, all my other dials are good. So is my counter Dodge or what else could it be, thanks in advance

I have a 2006 265 SB as well. My 10th year of ownership with this great boat. My (original) Faria Tach has always been a bit quirky. It occasionally bounces around, but its not something I worry too much about, because I've seen (and heard) the same issue on other boats. And I know the sound of my engine at certain speeds. I'm curious if there will be other responses.
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

Comment

On the back of the tach is a selector switch for 4-6-8 cylinder; try rotating it back and forth a few times as this is know to fix this issue typically. If this doesn't work send it to Faria and they will fix or replace it, should be under warranty.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Thats a common complaint with the tachs, remove the tree wire plug from the back and clean the contacts, also there should be a tree position dial labeled 4,6,8, it is telling the tach the number of cylinders of the engine.
        Very carefully turn this dial while pushing in on it slightly back and forth a few times and reset to the number of cylinders you engine has.
        This fixed mine and has worked fine for the last three years, and my boat is over twenty years old.
        Good luck.
        Don
        1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
        1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
        1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
        10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
        1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
        "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Mike looks like we where typing at the same time.
          Don
          1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
          1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
          1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
          10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
          1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
          "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
            Nauti_Mike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, great minds :-)

Thanks guys, I'll be down the boat on Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

I bought the Mercruiser Vessel View mobile and use the real time Bluetooth tach on my phone now and ignore the wonky gauge it’s much more accurate coming right off the engine. It was $149 this month on sale and gives other info like engine temp, speed and trouble codes

Comment

Nauti Mike is correct. His advice has worked for me several times. Griff

Comment

Update, thanks turning the selection switch worked which I'm really happy about because turns out my 265 is a special edition model, all the dials are silver faced and if it didn't work or couldn't be repaired very little hope of getting a new one the same, thanks guys for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                  On the back of the tach is a selector switch for 4-6-8 cylinder; try rotating it back and forth a few times as this is know to fix this issue typically. If this doesn't work send it to Faria and they will fix or replace it, should be under warranty.
                  Thanks guys. I achieved the same (good) results. I've had this boat nearly 10 years and just yesterday, while out on a shake down cruise on a glorious BC March Saturday, removed the dash panel and found this selector switch. It was set to '6' and I turned it to the '8'. It was probably set that way at the factory. This seems to have resolved my bouncy tach issue. I'm not 100% certain, but I've likely changed my optimum cruise speed. I've always used 3600-3800 rpm as my cruise, which results in about 27/28 mph. That 3800 now seems to reflect something closer to 30 mph (per GPS). Again, not 100% on that, as I wasn't paying much attention to tide/current, though the tide flow was minimal yesterday.
                  Mike & Dixi
                  2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                  Closed Cooling

Comment

Working...
                  X