289 repower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firehawk2010 View Post

If I can double my range and get an increase in speed I'll be happy. I'm getting slightly over 1 mpg at 21 right now. I'm slightly underpropped right now, but not enough to make a huge difference. I would like to increase my range so I don't need to stop in every port I pass for fuel, or carry fuel bags. The Merc is a 370 horse motor turning out about 580 pounds of torque, hopefully I'll get somewhere about 2.5 mpg. Are you happy with the performance from the FNM? I appreciate your response to my questions, I remember you helping me with my kicker when I had questions about that.
    You will not increase your fuel economy over 1.0 NMPG or thereabouts using a gasoline engine.

Diesel is another story. Folks have reported pretty impressive fuel economy with the diesel engines.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I effectively doubled my range which is what I was shooting for and improved my speed slightly as well. My FNM is a couple of hundred pound lighter than the OEM 7.4. I am extremely happy with the performance. It is not a very common engine but I have local service and parts available. I only have a couple hundred hours on her but so far so good. The torque is similar to the 7.4 so I was able to use my existing B2 drive. Once I found the correct prop that works best for my heavy loads, life was good. I have not heard many good things about the merc diesels however.
      "REEL WILD"
      2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
      Anchorage, Alaska
      If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

I haven't heard much good about the older cummins mercs, but the newer volkswagon/audi mercs I can't find many real world reviews in the US. I did find a few reviews in Australia but those were different boats and twins.
        I won't be able to use my Bravo 2 outdrive as it is about 580 pounds of torque, which is about the same as the 8.2l HO gasser, I'll end up getting a Bravo 3 XR
        2004 Bayliner 289

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Comment

Had my boat in the water last year, yes we are in 2019 now , props where way of so could not get results, I have new props with pitch at 24 for this spring. As for what Eng. to pick check out aknurse and his unit looks good.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Here is a link to one for sale in which they state that the top speed is only 22K (I assume they meant knots).
            One of the few Diesel Equipped boat in this size and class. It is a marinized Merc Cruiser with a Cummins Diesel. This 6 cylinder engine has a max speed of about 22K at 3400 rpm and cruises nicely at
            97 2859

Comment

That lucks like a BMW braced engine, the 6 Cyl. Cummins is the 5.9 too high and heavy with marine gear it sits in the range of 1400 Lbs. 400 more than what I installed. The BMW based Eng. did not have a high track record.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

That is a VM Motori 4.2L 220HP Mercruiser diesel, not a Cummins .
                That owner has no idea what he has in his own boat
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

I went through the process of looking at all Diesel options for my 3055 repower - ended up with Volvo D3-220's. For you I think the D4-300 with DHP drive would be perfect. The HP is not relevant when comparing to Gas, but the torque is! - that's where you win with Diesel. For what it's worth, my fuel burn has gone from close to 100L/H with 2 x 5.0 V8's to 40L/H with the Diesel's. And cruise RPM has gone from 3800 to 2800. I looked the TDi V6 Mercs (260hp) and although cheaper than the D3, just didn't seem to have the industry confidence when it came to reliability.... They were heave too!.... Good Luck
                  2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                  "Summerized"
                  MMSI 503024850
                  Volvo Penta D3-220's DPS DuoProps (2018)
                  RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Working...
                  X