289 repower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

289 repower

I am looking to re-power my 2004 289 (2859). I would like to increase both top end speed and range. I am looking at diesels, and measured the engine bay and it looks like a 370 hp Mercruiser 4.2 TDI will fit. Has anyone done this before? any other suggestions for repowering the 289 (2859). Before anyone says sell the boat and buy a different one, the admiral loves this boat and doesn't want a bigger/different one. I know it doesn't make financial sense, but it's our money, I just want to get some performance from the boat. I Currently have the 350 mag mpi and cruise at 21 at 17.7 GPH and WOT I can squeak 27. I would like to increase WOT to high thirty's to mid forty's and cruise around 30. I would like to get somewhere around 2.5 to 3.0 mpg, doubling to tripling my range. Suggestions???
    2004 Bayliner 289

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Look in the 2859 thread - there are several that have repowered with Diesel
    97 2859

Comment

I can't seem to find that thread
      2004 Bayliner 289

Comment

Many people in Alaska convert to diesels for performance and range.
        They do not use mercruiser.
        And I don’t recall reading of any that got into the 40’s, I don’t think that is possible with a single engine.
        Maybe with twin 250-300 outboards?
        As for buying a different boat, I’ve looked as I had a 2859 too, and you really don’t have any options other than the new Cutwaters that cost around $300,000.
        If bayliner could bring the 289/2859 back at $200,000 with twin 250 outboards, I think they would have a market.
        Esteban
        Vancouver, BC
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I read on the Alaska Outdoor forum of a guy that converted to the Volvo 260 hp d4 and he was getting 39 mph WOT and 2.7 mpg at cruise. I sent him an email but he never answered. That is what got me thinking about the diesels. The Merc 370 putting out around 580 foots pounds of torque should get me close. I was hoping to find some real world numbers, from people who have been there and done that.
          2004 Bayliner 289

Comment

39 MPH with a 260 HP D4 is hard to believe, but we had a member who repowered his 2859 with a 315 HP Yanmar 6LP, increasing his fuel efficiency & range by 2.5 times, also was able to hit 32 knots/37 MPH...
            I have no doubt 370 HP all Audi/VW aluminum block incredibly light weight Mercruiser 4.2 TDI in a 2859 will hit 40 MPH or faster possibly.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...el-gctid420344

fritzman is fitting a new 6.5 diesel with B3 X drive in his 2859.
            AKnurse repowered his with a FNM 300.
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...es-gctid807255
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

I repowered mine with a 375 HP Mercruiser 496. What a GREAT engine for this boat! Increased cruise speed to 27 knots!

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

There are lots of options, it comes down to $ and having a shop talking the job or are you going to jump in, one thing think over any additional thing needing attention wile the Eng. bay is empty I am thinking gas tank.
                Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Ksanders and Fritzman;

Can you tell me your burn number at cruise, and I am interested in WOT speed and burn.
                  I am considering having a shop here in Juneau do it for me so I can get the merc warranty, it'll cost 2-3 times what i paid for the boat, but that doesn't matter. I want the increased speed and especially the increased range. As it is now I have to make at least one fuel stop or take an extra 50 gallons of gas to make the slow 6.5 hour trip to Sitka. After motor swap I estimate to fuel up once in Sitka with burning 50-60 gallons one way instead of 130-140,and I would cut the trip down to about 4 hours one way. Thanks with your patience and help while Iask questions.
                  2004 Bayliner 289

Comment

Well, Frizman’s burn rate with a diesel will be MUCH better than the almost 30GPH I had. The boat seemed to get about 1 nmpg no matter what gas motor I had in it, and I had a 383, 7.4, and the 496

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...owse%20listing
                      Here is a PNW diesel Cutwater for sale. I don’t think it will meet your speed needs, but I believe they get over 2mpg at 27 knots and do have a 100 gallon tank. It might be a little to fancy for Alaska fishing though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	085A38DD-4C96-46E8-8342-214D423A88A5.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	475480
                      Esteban
                      Vancouver, BC

Comment

Here is one with a Yanmar diesel for 34k...and what looks like baby seats on the roof.
                        https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing

Click image for larger version

Name:	2AA57D47-602A-4797-AE07-B4EDB2EEBECE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	475482
                        Esteban
                        Vancouver, BC

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
                          39 MPH with a 260 HP D4 is hard to believe, but we had a member who repowered his 2859 with a 315 HP Yanmar 6LP, increasing his fuel efficiency & range by 2.5 times, also was able to hit 32 knots/37 MPH...
                          I have no doubt 370 HP all Audi/VW aluminum block incredibly light weight Mercruiser 4.2 TDI in a 2859 will hit 40 MPH or faster possibly.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...el-gctid420344

fritzman is fitting a new 6.5 diesel with B3 X drive in his 2859.
                          AKnurse repowered his with a FNM 300.
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...es-gctid807255
                          Just read your post. My 2859 with 7.4 mph topped out at about 29/30 mph, which was too slow for me. Now if it will do 37 with a 315hp Yanmar for only 34k(boat below) I am very interested!
                          Must be different gearing and prop size for same HP to be that much faster.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...dard%20listing
                          Esteban
                          Vancouver, BC

Comment

I think you are looking for a unicorn. Large gains in speed usually don't bring with them efficiency. The reverse is true as well. I repowered my 2859 that had 7.4 Merc (1mpg cruise 21 mph) to an FNM 300 diesel that I now cruise 23-25 and get just better than 2 mpg. fully loaded. I effectively doubled my range and gained slightly better efficiency as well. It was the same price as a new Merc engine. I usually go out with 160 gal of fuel and a cooler full of ice and beverages for a few days. After burning off some fuel and beer my numbers improve slightly more.
                            "REEL WILD"
                            2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                            Anchorage, Alaska
                            If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Originally posted by aknurse View Post
                              I think you are looking for a unicorn. Large gains in speed usually don't bring with them efficiency. The reverse is true as well. I repowered my 2859 that had 7.4 Merc (1mpg cruise 21 mph) to an FNM 300 diesel that I now cruise 23-25 and get just better than 2 mpg. fully loaded. I effectively doubled my range and gained slightly better efficiency as well. It was the same price as a new Merc engine. I usually go out with 160 gal of fuel and a cooler full of ice and beverages for a few days. After burning off some fuel and beer my numbers improve slightly more.
                              If I can double my range and get an increase in speed I'll be happy. I'm getting slightly over 1 mpg at 21 right now. I'm slightly underpropped right now, but not enough to make a huge difference. I would like to increase my range so I don't need to stop in every port I pass for fuel, or carry fuel bags. The Merc is a 370 horse motor turning out about 580 pounds of torque, hopefully I'll get somewhere about 2.5 mpg. Are you happy with the performance from the FNM? I appreciate your response to my questions, I remember you helping me with my kicker when I had questions about that.
                              2004 Bayliner 289

Comment

Working...
                              X