6 Gallon Water Heater Replacement Brand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Gallon Water Heater Replacement Brand

Time to replace my water heater on 2000 2855SU. Seems there are three or four predominant brands. Seaward, Attwood (I think that's what I have now) Kuuma and West Marine. The seem to be rated from: really sucks to doesn't suck as much. Can anyone recommend a brand ?
    Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

FWIW, get one that's stainless steel and stay away from aluminum. The reality is that once you decide to go with standing round or rectangle, the only real difference is going to be insulation. They all have engine heat exchangers and operate on 120v. When you are looking at pricing, be sure to include shipping in the total cost. Take a look at Fisheries Supply in Seattle as part of your research.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

A lot depends on how and when your going to use it. If your just going to use it for hot water at the marina you can save a lot of money by buying one at home depot or lowes. If you want hot water while on the hook or underway you will then need a marine one
      1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
      5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

All the standard lower priced tanks are aluminum regardless if you choose stainless, only the casing changes to the material specified. In other words a stainless version of the Seaward has an aluminum tank and stainless steel skirt. Insulation is limited to a crappy maybe 2" of your standard fibreglass fill commonly used in homes. No rocket science here, its an aluminum container with and element screwed into it. Then there is a bit of insulation and a covering.

That being said if you go with an isotherm you will get a real stainless tank however you will double the price, Rariton also makes one that is plastic lined however the price is right up there with the stainless.

Personally I would go with aluminum but add an anode kit (yes they are optional) and monitor it every end of year, will probably outlast the boat if you take care of it.

Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by ken51k View Post
          A lot depends on how and when your going to use it. If your just going to use it for hot water at the marina you can save a lot of money by buying one at home depot or lowes. If you want hot water while on the hook or underway you will then need a marine one
          Not exactly true as the one in my Carver has no heat exchanger however 11 gallons does go a long way. Running the generator for breakfast, lunch and supper for short periods when on the hook heats up the water more than enough for 2 daily showers and dishes. Installing a home unit really makes the boat questionable when you go to sell it or at least I would question what other short cuts are there that are not visible. Not saying it is not done and won't work. Regardless you will only save maybe $100.
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I'd just replace with an aluminum OEM type, make sure you order the correct heat exchanger orientation for your set up. If you have the space you could increase its capacity but I personally find the standard 6 gallons to be more than enough for my use.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have replaced my 6 gallon water heater with the OEM stainless type, and I second 'builderdude's comment. While you are doing this, rig up a heater bypass for winterization, and a drain that goes to the bilge. On 28's the water heater drain outflows onto the flat towards the batteries. If there is crap in the heater, it goes there also. When you remove the heater, there will be mounting holes into the glass, be sure to seal those up and put sealant on the new ones!
              cglazier - "Fiftybucks"
              1995 2855 7.4 bravo II

Comment

Check prices and tank material, my 11 gallon SS tank spring a few pin holes and West Marine had the best price on sale.
                Make sure the hot water heater has a location for a zinc anode.
                Last edited by boatworkfl; 11-07-2018, 08:53 AM. Reason: add info
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Lately I found Amazon to be coming up with the lowest prices. Just purchased an 11g Seaward for $320 a few weeks ago.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by ken51k View Post
                    I would not recommend or install that is not marine approved.
                    Don

1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                    1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                    1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                    10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                    1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                    "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hans
                      Installing a home unit really makes the boat questionable when you go to sell it ........ or at least I would question what other short cuts are there that are not visible. Not saying it is not done and won't work. Regardless you will only save maybe $100.
                      I fully agree!
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

What is nice about most marine units is the availably of using engine heat from the cooling system to heat the hot water tank.
                        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
                          What is nice about most marine units is the availably of using engine heat from the cooling system to heat the hot water tank.
                          Yes..... that is a feature that you will not have with a home style WH!

My 12 gallon Marine water heater uses the Port engine's coolant for heating via the water heater's exchanger.
                          We can have hot water after about 40 minutes of cruising.
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                          X