Marine Head Blockages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Head Blockages

Hi folks! Have a 2000 2455SB, my first boat with a head and it blocks up when my 6 year old takes a dump in it let alone an adult. It was fitted with an electric pump and macerator replacing the manual hand pump. I'm new to this game and the toilet itself and the piping all seems rather small. Is this a common issue that you just have to learn to live with or is there an alternative so I can remove the "toilet hazards" from my pre-sailing safety briefing...

Thank you! Mark - Captain and Chief poo technician

Paper is your enemy. On some yachts they say not to put anything down the toilet that hasn't been through your human waste system first....
    Seriously, small electric macerator pumps hate paper. One or max two sheets, and not 10 ply!
    A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

Thank you, yes we have a separate bin for paper. The challenge seems to that sometimes it takes a while to do the grinding, and at the same time it's filling with water (one button does both fill and pumpout) and the bowl gets to the point of overflow so I need to scoop out the water before doing more grinding... I've closed the intake seacock 3/4 to restrict the filling flow which has worked but isn't ideal.

Comment

We do a little, flush, repeat until the jo is complete. Next, as to tp, We buy the 2-ply Marine & RV stuff that cost about a buck more than the super cheap one ply that al works. I've also had salt buildup on the impeller and a shrimp clog the inlet.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Remove the outlet fitting on the toilet and clean it, check the one way rubber valve and clean or replace it if it does not seal at the outlet of it.
          Sometimes the outlet hose gets build up inside.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• Mark Steffens
            Mark Steffens commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you that sounds like a logical next step. Will give it a go!

Is the holding tank mt.?
          Don
          1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
          1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
          1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
          10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
          1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
          "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

Yup clogged discharge hose... take it all apart.
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

I have had quite a few heads and tried heads on numerous boats, manual, electric and vacuflush, never really had a problem until the day some lady decided to drop a tampon into the grinder. Needless to say that put a halt to the head until I took it apart and removed the culprit. That being said there is definitely something jammed up somewhere in the lines as it should flush quite easily.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I always tell guests that if they plug up the toilet, they will be using a bucket, and they will need to empty it and rinse it.
                Only while offshore! Otherwise I send them up to the harbormaster restrooms for serious business!
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                X