3388 Carpet Replacement project - Vinyl Teak and Holly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3388 Carpet Replacement project - Vinyl Teak and Holly

Finally getting to the job of replacing the 20 year old carpet on our 3388. Carpet has been trashed from years of wet feet, fishing and dirty shoes.

Big job getting the old stuff out. It was stuck to a cheap foam underlay that was also stuck to the floor. Lots of sweating, swearing and scraping and I was able to get the old crap out. I left the carpet in place on the stair risers as it's in decent shape.

The flooring product I used is this one: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3325503 - its a marine grade vinyl sheet Teak and Holly. One of the members of our club had ordered it in bulk and had a bunch left over. I used a 6x20' length which was perfect.

For the underlay, I found some 1/8" thick rubber matting at Home Depot. Provides some cushion, sound proofing and it's easy to cut to fit - plus it's waterproof.

Here are some progress photos. I've got all the floor cut and laid. In the main salon I am not going to glue the floor down as I have an access hatch under the floor in the event I need to service the waste tank or water heater. I can pull the flooring back easily enough to gain access. For the stairs, and under the dinette, I have glued it down.

Just working on the final trimming, stair nosing and edging and it will be all done. Really makes the boat look much cleaner.

Old ratty carpet and underlay. Main entry and salon Under dinette.
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Looks great!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
    X