Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second trial run was a complete success.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second trial run was a complete success.

My dad and I went to Deer Creek State Park Lake here in Ohio for another run after fixing some stuff. We took my project boat. 1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265 with a 383 V8. It ran perfect. No longer running too warm. Awesome new propeller. Everything flowed and ran great. We got her up to 32 MPH. I was happy with that. She planed at 22 and 2800 RPM. Better would be nice but I am happy. Take care and God Bless everyone.
    1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
    1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
    Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

It’s a good feeling to have things resolved especially not having to worry about it all winter long.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Sounds pretty good. What rpm was she spinning at 32 mph?
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Its a great feeling. For her to get up to 32 mph she was at 3200 rpm ironically. I had to play with the trim tabs and the outdrive angle. I won't hold the throttle any faster than 3500 rpm. She takes a while to get on plane though. The radar arch fits so much better going forward. With it leaning back my head hits right in the middle of my forehead. With it leaning forward my head clears it by just under an inch but I'm 6 ft tall so its all good. I don't know how it clears because everything is level but it works so I am happy. The idea of power steering on a boat floors me but again it works so I am happy. She turns on a dime.

Comment

Glad to hear things sound good however lets talk a little about RPM. You state it takes some time to get on plane and you achieve 32mph at 3200 rpm. Sounds like you are over propped as in to big a prop/pitch. Your max rpm I do not know for your engine but you should be able to get her up to at least 4400 rpm. Newer fuel injected models get over 5000 rpm. My question is what is the max rpm you can get out of your ride.
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

The prop is a 14DX17P 4 blade. I've never tried maxing it out. The outdrive is an SE106 and I didn't want to risk anything breaking. It runs great though. We are taking it out again on Monday so I will go for a full max out then. As far as propulsion it has great acceleration at first but once she is at 12-14 mph she is then slow to continue. She planes at 22 and gets a quicker acceleration up to 32 mph. I have a stainless 3 blade Solas prop on my bayliner that I can switch out if I want.

Comment

As midnight suggested 3200 rpm at 32 mph (assuming GPS speed) on a larger cruiser does seem a little low. You don't want to burden the engine!
              For your wot test:
              Once on plane at your 32 mph speed just advance the throttle all the way forward and keep it there long enough to bump your drive trim and tabs (if necessary) to achieve the highest rpm. You'll want to hit something around 4400-4600 for a carburated 5.7 and likely higher if she's a true 383. If you can't get to 4400 rpm you have to much pitch.
              btw- personally I run my wot test for only 20-30 seconds (on decent water) then back down to "normal" cruise rpm.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I agree with the guys here. Is the 4 blade prop aluminum or stainless? Stainless is heavier than aluminum so a SS prop would need to be one pitch size lower to give equal WOT to an aluminum. Similar 4 blades over 3 blades; that extra blade adds drag. Anyhow check the WOT with both props.
                1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

This will be a little bit of experimentation. The Solas prop is what I will put on it to see how she does when we take her out again on Monday. The Solas prop is a stainless steel 3 blade 15Dx19P. The 4 blade I bought was a 14.5Dx17P

Comment

Working...
                  X