'89 Avanti sagging vinyl headliner and water leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'89 Avanti sagging vinyl headliner and water leak

I picked up an '89 2955 Avanti and I noticed rain is seeping on the starboard side under the window traveling down to the floor. I can't feel moisture directly next to the window, but I feel it slightly lower which I thought was strange. The lounge seat next to the table is damp as well. I noticed both hatches are missing a section of weatherstripping, both in the same spot. Is that normal? Last but not least the headliner with vinyl on the same side of the water leak is sagging. I'm assuming it's from the water leak. I can't find any info on how to remove it, or how to create a new wood backing for the vinyl. Any key points for water leaks that I should address besides the plexiglass windows? My dad owned 3 Bayliners, this is my second one and it's good to be back.

I just noticed after the rain that one water leak must be coming from the anchor locker because the floor in the front berth is freshly damp and their are no traces of water coming from the area above the front windows It seems near impossible to get to the front bilge to see if something is preventing water from draining to the front pump. I was considering just caulking all windows and anything with a screw going through the top of the bow and along the plexiglass windows. Any thoughts, or tips?

Comment

Mine is leaking there too. It just started and I know for certain it is coming from the anchor locker because I've broken into the 'floor' of the v-berth storage and can see the water coming from the anchor locker.
      89 2955
      Wet'ever
      1989 Avanti 2955
      460 King Cobra

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	460303 I have a 1988 avanti 3450. My achor locker was leaking. I cant say its the same reason but you might check. I have a factory installed windlass and some duffus from the factory thought it would be a good idea to run the windlass cables directly through the bottom of the anchor locker instead of up high like they should be.

Also the drain hole in mine is wothless. About an 1/8th inch hole you can see in the picture that its plugged. I an going to drill it probably with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole with a clam shell. If your locker isnt draining well it could find other paths. If you have wires running in the bottom well thats a good place to start looking too.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Had a few leaks in mine too. Both port windows in front of the galley leaked behind the headliner. The forward window leak wouldn't be very noticeable, the water would stay forward of the front bulkhead until you got up on plane and all the water rushed aft. My floor transitions from carpet to vinyl laminate at the forward bulkhead and the trim acted as a dam until the bow came up and the water went over and under the trim. Took me forever to find it, I thought maybe it came from the anchor locker or the forward hatch. I finally pulled all the monkey fir down and saw water marks on the fiber glass that lead straight to the forward left portlight. The starboard midship bow railing mount also leaked and also behind the headliner just forward of the head wall. I noticed water staining on the seats, and some mold and about 3 pounds of some nasty looking mushrooms in the storage compartment behind the refrigerator. I had to remove the portlight windows remove the old failed sealant and reinstall with new sealant to stop the leaks in those. Also pulled cleat and bow rail screws, packed holes with liquid lifecaulk and reinstalled hardware to stop leaks coming in behind the starboard seating area. Now am just waiting on the next leak to start.
          1990 2955
          2 X 350, Alpha Gen II's

Comment

Working...
          X