1995 2452 : Need Input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 2452 : Need Input

HI all. This is my first post as a BOC member and I'm hoping to get some advice on a 1995 2452 I'm considering purchasing. This particular one has a 5.7 Bravo. I've looked at a few other boats but the 2452 seems to be a great match for what I want. I plan on using it for day cruising and fishing on the Inland river ways and offshore to about 10 miles or so. I'm not familiar with the fiber glass construction of this boat especially around the transom and stringer connections. Any advise or experience you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

5.7 & a B 2 is a great power package for that boat IMO. Transom and stringers will be wood cored. As with any older boat look hard at the integrity of those areas and the fuel tank too.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks Builderdude. I've checked out one other 2452 and done some tapping around the areas of the transom that I think are the points where the stringers connect at but I'm not exactly sure. Are there any drawings or dimensions you know of I could use to locate the string connection at the transom?

Comment

The stringers are easily identified. They will be where the bilge area steps up to a flat-ish shelf on each side of the engine making it difficult to get at the oil filter in the standard location and changing out of the starter. The transom reinforcement problems often start from the bilge plug up, then around the drive plate. It's a rrelatively easy fix, but dirty and labor intensive. There are also some structural composites that can be used to replace the plywood.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thanks again. I haven't had a chance to check out these areas yet in this particular boat but I will for sure. I'm really hoping for a dry hull. The owner said he had a survey done in 2016 with zero percent hull moisture. The engine and out drive were rebuilt in 2013 by a local marine outfit. The boat is about an 8 hour drive from me so I'm getting as much info from the owner via video & photos as I can before I make the trip. Here's hoping for a good hull.

Comment

Any screws in the interior transom area down low or around the inner shield can be removed and the holes probed to verify a solid core. Drilling small holes (1/4") randomly into the core from the interior is a better way to go IMO but the seller most likely won't like this idea.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If the fuel tank has not been replaced
              put it on the list of things that will have to be done sooner or later
              don't ask k how I know!
              There is a bunch of info on the board as to how to do it.
              1992 2452
              5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Originally posted by Lineman1 View Post
                If the fuel tank has not been replaced
                put it on the list of things that will have to be done sooner or later
                don't ask k how I know!
                There is a bunch of info on the board as to how to do it.
                Agreed. Count on about $2k DIY (including tank, hoses, epoxy, other materials, etc.) or $4k-$5k in the shop. This will almost certainly need to be done within the next few years.
                1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I'll be sure to check the areas as you suggested and it sounds like I should at least plan to replace the fuel tank in the near future. That will be another post I'm sure. Also I think if I need to repare transom I'll be looking into composite materials for that work. Hopefully I can get a few seasons running before that. Hope everyone had a great weekend and thanks again.
                  GPjoe60

Comment

Working...
                  X