Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Well this project definitely qualifies as work from home. In my area one can only boat to fish for food. I won’t mind drifting just to get away from life right now.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Very nice.... I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project!

Leave a comment:

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    And the lower face of the cabin entry, Waiting for temp to rise so I can bond it in.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_195356_Film4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	568944

Leave a comment:

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    So working on the face of the pop up and the ceiling in the cabin. Fitting FRP sheets. The face of the pop up will be covered in exterior grade padded vinyl . The "medallion" in the center, will be a clock or something, lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_212736_Film4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	568941Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_212825_Film4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	568942

Leave a comment:

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    Ditched the Plastex. Also discovered I had used the gel form of the Weldwood cement on all the previous work. This time it was the regular liquid form. Dunno if this was the cause, but I like the look of the FRP better anyway.

Maybe a pic or two in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    I'm thinking it was the cement. I used Weldwood contact cement, several times before, and test it each time on the project at hand. I even tested it on a 2 inch dowel , and wrapped the Polywall around that. Held VERY well in fact. You are supposed to stir it up well before use, and every other container had a lump of rubbery goo about 2 inches deep in the can. This one had none of that.

Material link for the interested https://parklandplastics.com/product...l-wall-panels

I might ditch the laminate idea, and just go back to the FRP idea. I though it might be heavier than I wanted, as the boat has gained weight. But I'm thinking that between the panel and the PlasTex with glue it might not be a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    You might try Landau Cement. It’s a stronger version of contact cement and made for moist to wet environments. Perfectfit.com has it or any upholstery supplier to the pros should have it.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    You using the original “old school” formula of contact adhesive? I agree you had some type of chemical reaction with the poly wall stuff. You have a link for that material?

Leave a comment:

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    Well I thought I was going to have pics of the first ceiling panel, laminated and ready to go. Alas, it is not be. Yesterday before SuperBowl, I cut the backer out of the sheet, cut the Polywall,, rolled out the contact adhesive, slapped them together, rolled them out, to get a good contact, then left them to set under sheets of 3/4 ply and weights.Tonight I pulled up the weights and ply, flipped the sheet over to inspect, and the polywall curled up like a curly fry. No adhesion. I'm baffled it was stuck well, last night. Actually was wet when it peeled up, but it wasn't last night. I'm guessing some sort of reaction, that didn't occur on the small test panel. Oh well here's some pictures of the trash that resulted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200203_221340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	707.3 KB ID:	558941
    Polywall with glue in the shape it curled up in. Was flat when it when on. Into the trash. Maybe bad batch of contact cement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200203_221454.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	558942

Ply sheet folded up to size the trash haulers will take. Notice the discolouration, almost like watermarks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200129_220531.jpg Views:	0 Size:	633.3 KB ID:	558943
    Sheet and panel just before adhesive application. Polywall is flat with no curling.

Now for something mildly more encouraging.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200129_220430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	558944
    Interior trim panels and insulation ready to be glued up. I use PLL for this. These fit in the area just above the head and galley in the bump up of the bridge cap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24669.jpg Views:	4 Size:	665.4 KB ID:	558945

Trim panel and storage boxes for the rear cabin bulkhead. Boxes go on either side of step, which is now also fuel tank access for sender hosing and the like. Panel is the facing for bulkhead interior surface, around the step, and inside the boxes.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    Yea, pics😁

• SKUA_28_Contessa
    replied
    Well the wainscote idea bit the dust a while back, due to no being able to find a style in PVC that we liked, after the chosen style was discontinued. So switched over to Plas-tec/ Polywall, glued to a 3/16 lightweight ply. Will be doing 2ft deep by 8 ft wide sections screwed to the battens, then use decorative trim to cover the seams. Need to maintain access for wiring, lights, and repair in the ceiling.

I will say that it's amazing how much warmer the cabin, is in the winter, with just 3/4 in. foamboard in the ceiling. Hopefully it will be that much cooler in the summer.

A couple of pics by the weekend for the interested.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Get er done

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Thought it may have been turned into a fort for the gandkids.

Leave a comment:

• fritzman
    replied
    What a ton of work I can relate great progress, keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    I know the not enough time to work on the boat problem!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X