3055 about to be repowered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3055 about to be repowered

I have finally pulled the trigger on repowering my 3055. I have talked about if for some time now and after discovering my transom shields needed replacement, I have decided to go the full Monty and Repower.

i have always wanted to go diesel, and already have a diesel 6kva genset so the decision was easy, a couple of Volvo Penta D3 220 with DPS DuoProp drives. I already have a vetus bow thruster, so I don’t need to go to the Volvo electic steering, but am having the electronic throttle and VCS MFD.

As a bit of preventative measure, I am having the transom peeled and rebuilt removing the ply .. I don’t thing there would be any 3055 out there that doesn’t have a damp transom .... sorry..... I’m also pulling the fuel tank and replacing, once again preventative as they do tend to let go with corrosion with age.

As as a last task, I am going to replace the battery switch panel with. Blue seas system modern one, so will also be rewriting the entire engine bay and 12v systems,

Obviously I plan on keeping the boat for a lot more years, and yes, I did consider a newer bigger boat but the 3055 is perfect for me. In the past couple of years I have replaced absolutely everything on the boat..

I will,post photos as the project proceeds .. it all starts next week,,,
    2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
    "Summerized"
    MMSI 503024850
    Volvo Penta D3-220's DPS DuoProps (2018)
    RQYS Manly QLD

Having done a similar project, the getting it ready for the new installation is the worst part. After I cut the keyhole I glassed the cutout. I also eliminated the drain plug so there was no open plywood core.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

That's quite a project Keith. You'll definitely have a one of a kind 3055. Looking fwd to following the transformation. All the best with the repower.
      Sea Venture
      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
      Drinks well with others.

Comment

I think preparation is the key to a good result. The plan is to remove all ply from the transom by peeling it from the outside, it will be repackaged with a sandwich type composite material and glassed over. No more plywood.. the D3 Volvo’s have identical spacing for the engine mounts, so no structural modifications inside the engine bay are required which is good,

Originally I was looking at D4 260’s as they seemed like the obvious choice, but they are 200kg heavier, so that would have been 400kg over what it is now, given I’m already a bit ‘aft heavy’, the D3 220’s look great and are actually lighter by 100kg a side so a savings of 200kg... better result.
        2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
        "Summerized"
        MMSI 503024850
        RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Just found this test with the engine/drive combo you're going with.

http://www.boattest.com/review/jeanneau/3705_nc-33
          Sea Venture
          2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
          Cruising the PNW and beyond.
          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
          MMSI 316029971

Kirk
          Drinks well with others.

Comment

That's the kit - except Volvo have deleted the circular instruments and it all now comes with a Garmin 7" MFD (with Volvo written on it).. The only potential issue which will be established today is the waterline height vs engine max waterline height - I have to be no more than 160mm above crankshaft, otherwise I will need to have risers manufactured. I'm not keen on this idea as I know if anything ever happened resulting in a warranty claim they will fight me..
            2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
            "Summerized"
            MMSI 503024850
            RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Update:

I no sooner advertised my current engines/drives and they were sold. Very pleased as the buyer was able to see the current engines operating and up to temperature. They performed flawlessly. I have started to strip the boat and will remove the genset tomorrow. She is coming out of he water on the 1st, and I have only got a couple of days to get the engines, drives, throttle & cables, gauges, wiring and trip pumps out! - So no pressure!

I am having a water maker installed while it's out as we want to take the boat up to the Great Barrier Reef next winter and as everyone knows these boats do not have a huge water capacity. It's the best time to fit it all.

Also having the newly developed yacht controller installed. This is a new remote control unit for smaller boats (sub 45 feet), that just controls the DTS and Bow thruster. This is going to make docking single handed very easy.

Lots of other things being done to modernise the boat inside including upholstery and other additions. Exterior I will have tech-teak designed and installed on the extended platform, should make outside look good.

I will post the first of the pictures of this re-power project tomorrow.
              2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
              "Summerized"
              MMSI 503024850
              RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Legs and engines out.. I have to say, my last trip to be hauled out was a bit sad, the mercs just ticked over beautifully... it was like taking your cat to the vet to be put down whilst it purrs...
                2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                "Summerized"
                MMSI 503024850
                RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Both engines and drives are out and off to their new owner.. I think I have been lucky selling them so easily and where they left as soon as they were out of the boat.....
                  2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                  "Summerized"
                  MMSI 503024850
                  RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

WOW!! Now THAT is a project! Good luck with all that you're thinking of doing! That will definitely take some planning and prep and boat bucks!! I wanted to put a diesel in my ole' 2452 but never got around to it but yours is a natural for that engine combination and set up . . . sounds great. Will enjoy reading your challenges.
                    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
                    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                    James H. Stradling

Comment

So much prep. A big mess to start but I am rewriting the entire boat. I’m thinking of moving the hot water system and pumps from the mid ships utility room into the engine room to free up the utility room for storage... you got to be cruel to be kind ....
                      2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                      "Summerized"
                      MMSI 503024850
                      RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

• Dadrock33
                        Dadrock33 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, no doubt there and from the looks of the pictures, you've got the cruel part down pat! We've always liked the 3055 but got a deal on our Avanti 3685 first (and now IT'S up for sale) so went that way. Is yours trailerable or is the beam too wide?

way too big for a trailer - (in Aus anyway), with the extended platform and tender I'm way over 36feet LOA....
                      2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                      "Summerized"
                      MMSI 503024850
                      RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Originally posted by ozhummer View Post
                        So much prep. A big mess to start but I am rewriting the entire boat. I’m thinking of moving the hot water system and pumps from the mid ships utility room into the engine room to free up the utility room for storage... you got to be cruel to be kind ....
                        Or you could just carry less stuff! On a serious note, it's not a bad idea. You've reduced weight in your engine compartment. My only worry would be less space to work on engines. It's been a while since I worked on mine but I don't recall it being spacious. On a related note, I helped a new neighbor with his meridian a couple days ago. I could have thrown a futon between the engines and taken a nap. Anyway, good luck with your project.
                        Doug
                        Hanging Loose
                        98 Carver 350 Mariner
                        2013-
                        KRUSTY KRAB
                        2001 305
                        5.7 BII
                        2006-2013

Comment

I'm well into the project now and one item on the list was/is a common one for the 3055/305 - being damp transoms. When I purchased the boat, pretty well every boat I surveyed in the USA came back with moisture in the transom. Although at the time I knew this, I did have it cored and tested and it was deemed ok(ish). SO I knew during this project I would take the opportunity to address the transom.

Information for 3055/305 owners: - The transom build quality from Bayliner is crap! Mine had next to no glass on the inside and just gelcoat in many places, the glass layering between ply sheets was very dry and in some places there was no resin at all.. talk about cost cutting when they built these.. Anyway, this is probably why the transoms are prone to moisture..

have had my inner transom removed where it was rotted or just wet. The photos attached are after day 1 of transom deconstruction.....

Another task I have undertaken that is nearly finished is the complete re-wire of the engine bay. I was never happy with the 2 battery arrangement whereby house and start for starboard were shared. So I have redesigned the whole system and separated it all.

I now have 3 x 120 AH AGM's fo house, 2 x Deep Cycle 950 CCA Marine batteries for the engines. Everything is parallel enabled to enable total sharing should I need it. Genset has it's own start battery that can be linked into the main sytstem too. I've used BlueSea Systems components throughout. The result is much cleaner and makes more sense (to me anyway)...

Also - It may be of interest to some that Volvo DPS drives fitment is identical to the Merc Bravo drives... This is a major bonus as I don't need to fill in the cutouts to open up new ones - alignment is also identical meaning that the engine fitment is far easier than we first thought. I have had to have new engine mount brackets fabricated out of 10mm (3/8") stainless to accommodate the larger engine mounts and torque of the Volvo's...

Click image for larger version

Name:	transom3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	449127

Name:	transom2.jpg
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	449128

Name:	transom4.jpg
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	449129

Name:	power1.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	449126
                          2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
                          "Summerized"
                          MMSI 503024850
                          RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

• msd58
                            msd58 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I did not know 305/3055's had wet transom issues. I was looking to move up to one from 2855.

So far so good ...
                          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                          X