Looking for Downrigger Mounting Suggestions - 1983 2450 Ciera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Downrigger Mounting Suggestions - 1983 2450 Ciera

Hello all. I have purchased a Scotty 1060 (new) downrigger as my first on my new-to-me Bayliner. I don't want to drill holes in the gunwhale, transome, or almost anywhere else until I am 100% confident that it will be the downriggers permenant home. Being a mechanical and not electrical one, I don't see this being my permenant solution. Scotty makes a clamp mount for downriggers, but it only opens 2", and my gunnel and transom are 3+. They also make a rail mount, but I have teak toprails and I don't think the rail mount will work.

That said, I'm looking for Bayliner Cruiser mounting solutions. I have teak safety rails mounted on my gunnels currently. If you could share a pic or two of your downrigger mount, I would greatly appreciate it, as my forum search and google search have yeilded very little.

I'm thinking for a permenant solution, to lower and possibly widen the teak safety rails to support the downrigger... But for now I just have the 1 manual and fish which need to be caught.

On my ‘85 2450 I replaced the forward stanchion mount and made a stainless steel vertical replacement that the teak could attach to. They were for manual Penns on swivels and worked well. That area, about 24-30” from the transom gives you good working room but not so far forward that tangling the prop is a particular issue.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I had one like that and I took a stained 2”x6” and laid it across the stern on top of the teak rails. I secured it with regular metal wood clamps and anchored my down rigger mounts to it. When I wasn’t fishing the whole thing easily comes off.

Comment

Check out traxtech. These were installed on the back all the way across and part way up the side. They have plates you buy to slide into them to mount the downrigger and rod holder plates

Comment

Working...
        X