Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossing Rosario Strait

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Crossing Rosario Strait

    So I recently picked up a 2010 245 Cruiser for use on the Salish Sea. I feel like I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions about if this was an appropriate boat for the area (it's been local for it's entire life, so I don't see why it wouldn't be). Anyway, most of the answers I heard were basically that it was not obviously the most seaworthy vessel out there, but in the proper conditions it would be fine.

    Now I'm working with an instructor on a cruising certification, and she's telling me that she doesn't think I can cross Rosario Strait with the boat. This is especially annoying, because I communicated with her when I was shopping for the boat and she is one of the people that told me it would be a "nice compact and affordable cruiser for getting out on the Salish Sea" provided "you choose your conditions."

    So what am I supposed to think? I understand that conditions in the Strait can be treacherous at times. But assuming tides, currents, winds, & visibility are all favorable, is it doable? I know that is a lot of variables, but these are local waters to me, so I'm in no rush, and I can wait for everything to align. But if it's foolishness even under the best circumstances, I don't want to attempt it and endanger my famly. FWIW, the crossing would be at one of the narrower points of the Strait, roughly from Fidalgo Head to Lopez Island.

    Anyone familiar with these boats in these waters? Thanks.

    #2
    She doesn't know what she's talking about. You could cross Juan De fuca or the Straight of Georgia with the right conditions Just use common seance and be prepared like any good skipper would. Go out and have fun and enjoy your boat.
    Ted G
    The Great PNW

    86 2850 Contessa SB
    Designers Edition
    Mercury 350 Mag
    290 Volvo DP

    Comment


      #3
      Oh fer cryin out loud... whatever happened to common sense?
      One of the funnest trips we ever took was from La Conner to Victoria in a 19 ft Chapparal bow rider. Myself, my wife, stepson and dog with camping equipment on a beautiful summer weekend with absolutely no peril at all. Watch the weather going and coming back; don’t be an idiot and try it in bad conditions and you’ll be fine. Even if you go across and the weather turns you can always get on the ferry and come back for the boat when the conditions improve. When I got my pilot’s license it was impressed upon me that most general aviation accidents are due to pressing on into conditions beyond the pilots capabilities and that mindset has continued into boating.
      Worst case scenario you spend a little more time chillin in the San Juan’s.
      Drew Haas
      1998 4788 "Painkiller"

      Comment


        #4
        I cross from deception to Lopez all the time in my 2556. Lots of smaller boats do as well. It’ll b a 15 minutes run in your boat, just check conditions before ya head out. Your boat can handle rougher water than youll likely becomfortable with.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Nor'wester View Post
          .................

          Now I'm working with an instructor on a cruising certification, and she's telling me that she doesn't think I can cross Rosario Strait with the boat. This is especially annoying, because I communicated with her when I was shopping for the boat and she is one of the people that told me it would be a "nice compact and affordable cruiser for getting out on the Salish Sea" provided "you choose your conditions."
          She's an idiot. Care to share her name? If she's based in Seattle I've got an idiot in mind but I'm sure there's more than one.

          R.J.(Bob) Evans
          Buchanan, SK
          Cierra 2755
          Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
          Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Nor'wester View Post
            So I recently picked up a 2010 245 Cruiser for use on the Salish Sea. I feel like I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions about if this was an appropriate boat for the area (it's been local for it's entire life, so I don't see why it wouldn't be). Anyway, most of the answers I heard were basically that it was not obviously the most seaworthy vessel out there, but in the proper conditions it would be fine.

            Now I'm working with an instructor on a cruising certification, and she's telling me that she doesn't think I can cross Rosario Strait with the boat. This is especially annoying, because I communicated with her when I was shopping for the boat and she is one of the people that told me it would be a "nice compact and affordable cruiser for getting out on the Salish Sea" provided "you choose your conditions."

            So what am I supposed to think? I understand that conditions in the Strait can be treacherous at times. But assuming tides, currents, winds, & visibility are all favorable, is it doable? I know that is a lot of variables, but these are local waters to me, so I'm in no rush, and I can wait for everything to align. But if it's foolishness even under the best circumstances, I don't want to attempt it and endanger my famly. FWIW, the crossing would be at one of the narrower points of the Strait, roughly from Fidalgo Head to Lopez Island.

            Anyone familiar with these boats in these waters? Thanks.
            You need a new cruise instructor....FYI I have made the crossing in my 14' dinghy several times. If the wind is up and the waves are building you just go slow and angle through them until you are in protected waters...or you can wait for calmer conditions. In any case, common sense as another poster said but your boat is more than sufficient for these waters. Enjoy your boat!
            Brad & Michelle
            Bo, Jet & Maverick (we need a bigger boat!)
            1993 3688 "the Kraken"
            Hino W06 250HP
            14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
            Moored at Shelter Bay
            LaConner, WA

            Comment


              #7
              It’s all about picking your weather. Watch the tides and currents in Deception Pass, head through Thatcher Pass and your done. The reality is that by picking your weather you could take that boat to Anchorage. When I was a kid we loaded our 20’ 1954 Monk designed cabin cruiser, mom, dad, four kids and a Norwegian Elkhound and head up from Mukilteo almost every weekend all summer plus a two week vacation into the Gulf Islands. A compass and chart book for navigation tools.
              Going through the slough will take an hour longer and you need to be careful to stay inside the markers and not take any shortcuts at either end. Going that route you can follow the ferry route through Thatcher Pass or head for the north east corner of Blakely through Peavine or Obstruction Pass.
              I do have a couple of confidence booster suggestions. A gps and depth finder and someone to buddy boat with. When are you thinking about going and where do you live. There’s probably a member nearby who can meet with you and would be happy to share some experience. We are in Mukilteo.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
              MMSI 367770440
              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

              Comment


                #8
                Thank you all for your input. I was getting anxious thinking I bought this boat I wouldn't even be able to safely use. I don't mean to slag off my instructor - overall she's been very helpful and seems knowledgeable, but I get the sense that her background is just in bigger boats, and sailing, and I think she is just erring on the side of caution. I freely admit that I'm not ready to do the crossing right away, but I just want to know that my boat is up to it when I am.

                Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
                Going through the slough will take an hour longer and you need to be careful to stay inside the markers and not take any shortcuts at either end. Going that route you can follow the ferry route through Thatcher Pass or head for the north east corner of Blakely through Peavine or Obstruction Pass.
                I do have a couple of confidence booster suggestions. A gps and depth finder and someone to buddy boat with. When are you thinking about going and where do you live. There’s probably a member nearby who can meet with you and would be happy to share some experience. We are in Mukilteo.
                When you say slough are you talking about Swinomish Channel? My boat is moored at Twin Bridges, at the northern entrance, so my route would be Padilla Bay to Guemes Channel, then across the Strait to Thatcher Pass, although I might consider the northern route you mentioned (I'll have to have a look at it). Ideally I'd be up to this towards the end of August, as I have reservations at Roche Harbor, but if the weather doesn't cooperate, or I feel sheepish about it, we'll do something else.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I guess my next question is, what would "good" conditions be? I assume light wind, under 10-15 knots, seas not more than 2 feet or so? Tides and currents I'm still learning, but I've heard that an ebb tide can be bad for making the crossing, especially with a west wind, because the wind and currents are opposed.

                  I've heard that leaving earlier in the morning is better, since winds are generally lighter. But of course, fog is an issue (no radar). But if it's only a 15 minute crossing, I figure the weather can't change that dramatically in that amount of time, right? I really think most of the dire warnings I'm reading are coming from sail folks. Incidentally, I just also read something about people doing the crossing in sea kayaks, so how bad could it be?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    When it's bad, it can get ugly real fast
                     
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

                    Comment


                      #11
                       
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yea it can get nasty for sure. With OP’s smaller cruiser he’ll be able to start across and likely know in 2 minutes if he wants to continue or turn back. I’ve been across several times in the past when it’s been dead flat.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Yes, I was talking about the Swinomish. Guemus channel can be nasty too, but leaving from Twin Bridges going north is easy. Just watch for when the wind is opposing the current and a big swing in the tide. As to fog, I’m not worried about other pleasure craft, I worry about supertankers. If your phone has an ais app you can get a good idea of who of size is where. You can also talk to Seattle Traffic on channel 14 about other traffic around you.
                          P/C Pete
                          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                          MMSI 367770440
                          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
                            When it's bad, it can get ugly real fast
                            Thanks for the video. But I got the impression from watching that you were expecting bad weather coming, and you probably went out in baseline conditions that I wouldn't have considered. Is that right? I mean, those conditions didn't exactly sneak up on you, did they?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I have a 2452. Crossed the straights many times. It’s been out to swiftsure halibut fishing. Like others have said just check weather and tides. The NOAA weather is a excellent source for waves, swells and timing between. Also listen to wx on your HF radio. You have plenty of boat to enjoy all of our waters, when in doubt error of the side of caution. Safe boating and enjoy your new toy. K
                              Kevin & Robyn
                              Koppers Kove
                              MMSI 338206107
                              2001 Bayliner 2452
                              5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X